Author Topic: labels dont like $1.00/song  (Read 1792 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
labels dont like $1.00/song
« on: 12 April 2004, 21:46 »
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2004, 11:08 »
Oh god...  :rolleyes:

I'd also like to quote one Slashdot poster, when he said something I've been thinking for a long time:

quote:
It's NOT capitalism. (Score:5, Insightful)
by nathanh (1214) on Sunday April 11, @06:58PM (#8833381)
(http://www.manu.com.au/)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the market will bear $2.99 CD's then they have the right to sell at that price. Don't like it? Don't buy. Unfortunately for you, there are millions of people who WILL pay the price.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not capitalism. Capitalism is where they charge $2.99, you don't like it, so you buy from SOMEBODY ELSE at a LOWER PRICE. That process continues until it's impossible to produce the song any cheaper.

They've been selling at 99c for ages. Now they are discussing a unilateral hike of 200%. That should be your first warning sign that capitalism is not working here! Where are the other online vendors selling the same songs at 50c? Or the same songs at 10c? If 10c is unrealistic (maybe it is but I suspect it isn't) then THE MARKET will find the actual sustainable pricepoint. The very second you hear that the RIAA is deciding the "sustainable" pricepoint instead of the market is the very same second you should have realised this is not capitalism. This is a cartel.

If capitalism was working then the prices would have dropped for music. That's how it works in every other industry. Company A makes steel bars for $1/bar at 10% profit. Company B thinks 5% profit is sufficient and sells bars for 99c/bar. Company A decreases their production costs (perhaps by innovating new techniques) and sells bars for 95c/bar. THAT is capitalism. It's using THE MARKET to drive innovation, reduce costs, self-regulate the quantity of production, while still producing the cheapest goods.

In the music industry the prices have gone up and up and up. Even faster than inflation. While production costs have gone down - a music studio and CD production facility can be built in your spare bedroom for under $10k these days, compared to $10s of millions only 2 decades ago - the CD prices have not dropped. Why? Because this isn't capitalism! Production costs are down, yet prices are up. Market is flooded with alternatives, yet prices are up. Look at the big picture. It's NOT CAPITALISM.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2004, 19:52 »
Bloody fuck....this is absurd...how greedy can these people get?

$2.99 per song???? Thats more per song than if you bought the entire CD...which eliminates the fucking purpose!

I would actually support up to $1.99 per song if the downloads were uncompressed and DRM-free.

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2004, 00:20 »
You know what, I don't like 99

PseudoRandomDragon

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.geocities.com/zonealarmprov4/index.htm
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2004, 05:28 »
I download, but only because I just can't find a lot  of the music I like ...anywhere ...except on some random user's HD.
I am sofa king high. (Read out loud)

ecsyle_one

« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2004, 05:42 »
Boycott?
Stop buying, stop downloading. Perhaps they will listen?

PseudoRandomDragon

« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2004, 07:49 »
That isn't going to happen. Also, the RIAA would use that as an excuse. If a boycott happens, their sales go down, they blame it on P2P, lawmakers believe them.

ecsyle_one

« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2004, 08:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by PseudoRandom Dragon:
That isn't going to happen. Also, the RIAA would use that as an excuse. If a boycott happens, their sales go down, they blame it on P2P, lawmakers believe them.

Apathy will be the end of the freedom you enjoy. I can understand why Calum got so pissed and left.

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2004, 21:46 »

quote:
Let

PseudoRandomDragon

« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2004, 08:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle.artformsdesign:

Apathy will be the end of the freedom you enjoy.

Sorry, but the end happened a long time ago.

ecsyle_one

« Reply #10 on: 17 April 2004, 08:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by PseudoRandom Dragon:

Sorry, but the end happened a long time ago.

Oh. I guess that means we should all just bend over and take it in the ass. Right. Fuck it. Lets just let them do whatever they want because we can't do shit to stop it.

PseudoRandomDragon

« Reply #11 on: 17 April 2004, 21:10 »
Vote for Kerry. That is a step in the right direction.

Do you think I voted for Bush? Do you think I am going to vote for him now? Do you think I like it any more than you? HELL NO! Unfortunately, there is only so much I can do to change this country. If this shit keeps happening I am going to Britain or Canada.

You still think I am indifferent about this?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #12 on: 18 April 2004, 00:52 »
quote:
PseudoRandom Dragon: Vote for Kerry. That is a step in the right direction.

Do you think I voted for Bush? Do you think I am going to vote for him now? Do you think I like it any more than you? HELL NO! Unfortunately, there is only so much I can do to change this country. If this shit keeps happening I am going to Britain or Canada.

You still think I am indifferent about this?

Do you really think the PATRIOT act will disappear under Kerry?
He voted for the PATRIOT act when he was a senator, and I haven't heard anything about Kerry being anti-PATRIOT act.

And don't think that the UK or Canada are going to be any better than the United States.
I think it's best to stay in the country you grew up in, because the culture shock might be too great. Even when that country speaks your first language.

PseudoRandomDragon

« Reply #13 on: 18 April 2004, 01:54 »
I don't know if Kerry will remove the act for sure, but I DO know that Bush will not remove it, or may even further enhance it.

Cold day in Hell b4 I vote for nader.

I visited Canada. My head is still intact. I don't think it would take very long for me to get used to it (though I would rather move to Britain, it is nicer there).

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #14 on: 4 May 2004, 06:47 »
nader rocks. he seems to actually give a shit. and he is pro legalizing the leafy green last time i checked. theis dumbfucks could stand to make alot of money off of legalized weed. from taxing it like 5 bucks per 7 grams or something like that. and our prison system wouldn't be so overfucking loaded. leaving room for murders rapist, pedofiles, and other types you wouldn't want at your 12 oclock tea party. but no, we get assholes that bend over for big business and allow shit like the dmca to be passed. if you cna't afford the  music simply steal it. steal enough music to cuase a drop in record sales. let them blame p2p, let them hunt familys down until america wakes up. be a martyr for freedom.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!