Author Topic: Bad News found at Newsforge.com  (Read 1262 times)

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
Bad News found at Newsforge.com
« on: 4 May 2003, 16:06 »
Judge rules Internet anonymity not sacrosanct

The ruling had to do with the recording indistry and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, but a decision in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia has ramifications beyond those who download music.

The court ruled subpoenas requiring ISPs to name persons who downloaded particular files must be obeyed. This means that a document issued by a court clerk is all that's needed to force Internet service providers to detail Internet activity and to name the persons involved.

This in turn opens the door for broadened probing of Internet users in both criminal and civil cases, including sting operations. People who accidentally or intentionally download prohibited material, as from newsgroups, cannot do so with any expectation of privacy, based on the ruling.

the whole story I found through newsforge

How dos this change things for Americans?

I live in BC so im safe for the moment anyways

:(  

[ May 04, 2003: Message edited by: suselinux ]

[ May 04, 2003: Message edited by: suselinux ]

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2003, 16:12 »
*sigh* That's it, now I'm serious about moving to the north pole. Gotta go pack now.

suselinux

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2003, 16:27 »
This really sucks, because its gonna be that poor shmuck of a highschool kid who downloads the wrong file at the wrong time, Then bam he spends the rest of his working life paying child support to Sony Records to fulfill the court settlement slapped on him.

Fuck me eh,  lets go fuck up peoples lives for costing the RIAA 46 billion dollars, because of that
they didn't even break a trillion that year.

FUCK ME IM PISSED OFF

Don't buy any CD's for yourself or as gifts

quote:
If you can't beat em, kill em  

ME

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2003, 17:09 »
Yeah... EVERYONE DOWNLOAD ILLEGAL CRAP!!! THEY CAN'T ARREST US ALL!! FUCK THE SYSTEM AND ALL THAT!!!

Faust

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2003, 18:06 »
quote:
costing the RIAA 46 billion dollars

Yeah right like Libraries kill book sales and the radio killed music sales.  The RIAA is making as much money as they ever have.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2003, 02:38 »
Y0 FrEE WaReZ All LEET and FREE.

www.sourceforge.net

suselinux

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2003, 06:15 »
Don't visit the RIAA website when in windows espicially not without a good firewall.

quote:
Due to the nature of this matter and RIAA's previous history, we feel the RIAA will abuse software vulnerabilities in a client's browser after the browser accesses its site, potentially allowing the RIAA to access and/or tamper with your data. Information Wave customers will no longer be able to reach the RIAA's web site. Information Wave will also actively seek out attempts by the RIAA to thwart this policy and apply additional filters to protect our customers' data.  

whole story