Author Topic: Magnatune  (Read 1009 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Magnatune
« on: 28 January 2004, 11:49 »
Magnatune Article at Linuxjournal Online

I read this article in this month's linuxjournal.  It is about an interesting internet recordlabel.  
Here is the introduction from the article

quote:
Copied from www.linuxjournal.com

It's a record label, but it's not evil.

Magnatune is an Internet music record label. It was born out of personal experiences from my wife releasing her CD on a British record label and some observations I'd gathered about the music industry. Magnatune is different from traditional labels in the following ways:

We split the sale price of all purchases 50/50 with our artists.

We sell only downloads and never use digital rights management (DRM). Purchasers may download albums as perfect-quality WAV or FLAC files, as high-quality variable bit-rate Ogg Vorbis files or MP3s or as 128k MP3s. Buyers can choose how much they want to pay, from $5 to $18 US.

You can listen to all our music as streaming 128k MP3s (entire albums, not samples) as well as on Shoutcast MP3 stations. Two clicks on Magnatune queues a never-ending selection of our music in the genre of your choice. Our assumption is you eventually will hear something you like and want to buy it.

All our free music is licensed using the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license. This allows noncommercial use of the music at no cost, as well as derivative works, as long as the same Creative Commons license applies. If someone uses our music for commercial purposes, they have to license it for a modest fee. All our licensing is done on-line with a standard rate calculator, and we don't discriminate based on the kind of use. For example, we can't and won't block your use of our music if we don't agree with your views or your musical style.

We're successful and profitable. Our top artists are making about $6,000 US a year in royalties, while the average musician makes about $1,500 US per year. We work directly with musicians or musician-owned labels, never with labels who funnel the money to themselves.

And it runs on Linux servers  

[ January 28, 2004: Message edited by: M. O'Brien ]

In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Magnatune
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2004, 17:18 »
Sounds mad.

restin256

• Kudos: 0
    • http://cybersphere.netfirms.com
Magnatune
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2004, 20:39 »
Yeah, it's the internet. You can be your own indie label.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Magnatune
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2004, 00:56 »
quote:
All our free music is licensed using the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license. This allows noncommercial use of the music at no cost, as well as derivative works, as long as the same Creative Commons license applies.

GPL fans! o/\o

quote:
Our top artists are making about $6,000 US a year in royalties, while the average musician makes about $1,500 US per year.

Put into consideration how little-known this thing must be...  :eek:

My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Mistshadow

• Kudos: 0
Magnatune
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2004, 02:44 »
Wow, thanks for the link.
"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." - Eric Clapton