Author Topic: UK song-swappers 'could be sued'  (Read 1088 times)

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
UK song-swappers 'could be sued'
« on: 14 January 2004, 19:58 »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3395161.stm

Gah! they're coming... here.
Not the RIAA, but still.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2004, 20:45 »
"File-swapping is hurting music CD sales" my ass.
It's already been said and I will say it again: 90% or more of those who share media files would NOT go out and buy the stuff if they couldn't share it anymore. Not only has research and polls shown that, but I also speak from experience.

I have lots of music and movies. If there was no internet or no filesharing or something, I would never go out and buy 99% of that stuff that I owe thanks to downloading. So I am not stealing from the music or movie industry. Sure, there is a percentage of those who WOULD buy the stuff if they couldnt get it for free, but that percentage is very small.

The analogy they make in that article about expensive cars is erroneous. It's not possible to duplicate cars or other physical objects, so its wrong to use that argument. The fight is over digital media, so keep it that way. Because if they're gonna start make analogies to physical objects, I can make some too that won't be in their favor.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2004, 21:08 »
I heard a bit of the Chilli Peppers stuff on the radio, downloaded a few tracks, and then got there album, its people who go and burn every album 30 times for there friends that are hurting music sales P2P is helping them more then anything.

Does RIAA know anything about marketing?

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2004, 02:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:
"File-swapping is hurting music CD sales" my ass.  It's already been said and I will say it again: 90% or more of those who share media files would NOT go out and buy the stuff if they couldn't share it anymore. Not only has research and polls shown that, but I also speak from experience.

Same here.  I don't really buy many CDs, nor did I before file-sharing.

Also, this guy said the following, replying to the article:

quote:
Legality aside, wasn't the internet intended for the sharing of information, the way things are going now it won't be long before everything on the internet you do costs money and yet another frontier of freedom is replaced by the dull visage of corporate money making companies.

Exactly.  The FSF website has a few good essays about exactly this.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

KernelPanic

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2004, 01:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by X11: doogee.is.dreaming.org:
I heard a bit of the Chilli Peppers stuff on the radio, downloaded a few tracks, and then got there album, its people who go and burn every album 30 times for there friends that are hurting music sales P2P is helping them more then anything.

Does RIAA know anything about marketing?

word

KernelPanic

• VIP