Author Topic: Stupid sheep  (Read 1101 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Stupid sheep
« on: 18 June 2004, 08:32 »
Copy-blocked CD tops U.S. charts

quote:

According to figures released by Nielsen SoundScan, Velvet Revolver's "Contraband" was the top-selling album in America last week, despite being prominently labeled on its cover as being "protected against unauthorized duplication."

The success of the album is likely to prompt more experiments from BMG, the band's label, and other record companies, industry watchers said.

And suprise, suprise, suprise, a new bill that makes the DMCA look good.  Of course, it's from one of our biggest senatorial morons: Orin Hatch.  

quote:

The proposal, called the Induce Act, says "whoever intentionally induces any violation" of copyright law would be legally liable for those violations, a prohibition that would effectively ban file-swapping networks like Kazaa and Morpheus. In the draft bill seen by CNET News.com, inducement is defined as "aids, abets, induces, counsels, or procures" and can be punished with civil fines and, in some circumstances, lengthy prison terms.

The avalanche has started.  It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -Kosh

[ June 17, 2004: Message edited by: M. O'Brien ]

In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Stupid sheep
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2004, 05:36 »
1.  Orrin Hatch is not a moron, he's a well-paid employee of the RIAA.

2.  I bet that people bought the CD because they wanted to figure out how to break it.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Stupid sheep
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2004, 05:47 »
Breaking news: Some guy in a country without copyright or extradition treaties with the United States busted the new copyright and posted source and instructions on a server located in his country.

See, this is all it takes.
Go the fuck ~

solarismka

• Kudos: 0
Stupid sheep
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2004, 01:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:
Breaking news: Some guy in a country without copyright or extradition treaties with the United States busted the new copyright and posted source and instructions on a server located in his country.

See, this is all it takes.

I agree!

It really doesn't take much
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

solarismka

Stupid sheep
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2004, 01:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by WMD:
[QB]1.  Orrin Hatch is not a moron, he's a well-paid employee of the RIAA.

A well paid mentally impaired employee of the IRAA
  :D
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
Stupid sheep
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2004, 10:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by -=Solaris.M.K.A=-:

A well paid mentally impaired employee of the IRAA
   :D  

...Industry of Recording Artists of America?  Irish Republican Army's Administration?  Internal Revenue Agency Assholes?  Help me out here...  

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Stupid sheep
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2004, 11:43 »
haha  :D
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Stupid sheep
« Reply #7 on: 7 July 2004, 00:28 »
At least someone in Congress realizes how stupid Hatch's bill is.

There is a a good article at the Register.

quote:
Excerpt
 answer to questions put by IDM's Phil Leigh, Boucher made it clear that he would fight tooth and claw to prevent the new bill from making it into law in its current form. Boucher himself is supporting and presenting a bill that calls for changes to be made to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which he feels is misguided in by making the bypassing of copy protection illegal in its own right.

Some quotes here taken from the interview give some comfort. "I will work against this act. It is very poorly defined and it could target just about anyone. Even a university giving its students broadband access, could, under the current wording, be construed as inducing a copyright breach.

"Anyone making ANY kind of recording device, even an innocent recorder that has many other fair uses, could be in breach of this law just for making that technology available. Frankly there is no need for the statute at all.

Go Boucher!
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

solarismka

Stupid sheep
« Reply #8 on: 7 July 2004, 06:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by M. O'Brien:
At least someone in Congress realizes how stupid Hatch's bill is.

There is a a good article at the Register.

Go Boucher!

Well that is good news!  Its time like that when I think maby we arn't that bad after all!  I hope he wins!

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Stupid sheep
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2004, 05:12 »
Boucher always has been smarter than the average congressman
Go the fuck ~