Author Topic: Fuck the RIAA too  (Read 1200 times)

Louis D

• Kudos: 0
Fuck the RIAA too
« on: 21 December 2001, 11:19 »
As much as I can't stand microsoft with this .NET crap, the recording industry association of america is equally irritating and stupid.  For a real gem of a website go to www.pressplay.com.  This is a pay service where you can download copyright protected mp3s from one label.  If you like another artist, you can try paying musicnet for the same type of shit.  I guess if you're the type that won't rip the tag off of the mattress you would do this.  I'll just go download stuff for free and buy the album if I like what I hear.  Funny, I buy albums because I like songs I hear on the radio too.  A great site made in the spirit of this one is www.press-play.net.  Go there and get a good laugh.  Does this bother anyone else, or am I the only one who is bothered by people trying to control the net?
Una donna barbuda sempre `e un piace.

CommonSense

• VIP
    • http://www.microsuck.com
Fuck the RIAA too
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2001, 21:25 »
Just saw the "real" Press Play site.  WOW, is that retarded.

I've been getting exceedingly disgusted by the RIAA over the last year or so.  These dinosaurs are really out of their element when they start trying to assert their "power" in the Internet arena.  I'm hoping this will come back and bite them in the ass soon enough.  Then again, they're powerful lobbysists, and it wouldn't surprise me (unfortunately) if they get enough politicians in their pocket to pass the kinds of inherently anti-American laws they'd need in order for their reign of terror to continue to last . . .

And with this administration in power in the US right now, it'd be all too easy for them, too.    :(

Louis D

Fuck the RIAA too
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2001, 15:50 »
There is a difference betweem being pro-capitalism and pro-onebusinesswithalotoflobbyingpower.  This is a distinction that needs to be made.  The music distrobution channels of the US recording industry are obsolete, and a truly free market would take care of this.  Artists would distribute their music on the internet, and they would make their money on touring and concerts.  Honestly, I do buy some albums if I like what I download on the internet.  It should work like radio.  And, if it doesn't, It proves that the recording industry is completely obsolete.  The main reason I became interested in microsoft bashing was from reading news about the way the recording industry would like to control what goes on on the net.  When I read further and found out about how microsoft and others would like to do the same things.  Then I discovered how little control over my computer I have if i'm running windows, and how vulnerable I was to spyware and other bullshit along those lines.  I now know not to foolishly sign up for passport or other things along those lines.  I've installed linux and I am learning to much.  I'm starting to study programming in C in the hopes that one day I can expand my knowledge far enough to reverse any future controls imposed on the internet.  I like the internet, and it should be for everyone.  It should never be owned by anyone.  Not .NET or the RIAA or anyone.  Fuck them.  Fuck everyone.  Fuck me too, don't leave me out.

Louis D

Fuck the RIAA too
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2001, 08:46 »
Someone please tell me that there are a lot more people who get pissed about this.   And does anyone know if Kazaa can be shut down like napster?  As far as I know, it has no central servers, but the company  said that It has a way of disabling older versions of their software (which is based on MS internet explorer)  If anyone has any info on this let me know.

gump420

Fuck the RIAA too
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2001, 12:29 »
While we're at it, fuck the MPAA, too! Of course, they're not doing as well as they hoped in using the courts to stop DVD copying . . .

I don't know anything abou Kazaa, but there are definitely file-sharing programs that you can download that use a decentralized approach. I've used both WinMX and Morphius; however, I'm starting to suspect Morphius of having some serious security problems, so until I investigate that matter further I'm going to avoid using it.
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

gump420

Fuck the RIAA too
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2001, 14:52 »
Oops. First, it's Morpheus, not Morphius. Second, Morpheus is based on Internet Exploder, which explains the security problems I had discovered. Third, Morpheus names partially downloaded files "kazaadownload*.dat", so I guess Morpheus _is_ Kazaa (whatever "Kazaa" is . . .)
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

TruBSD

Fuck the RIAA too
« Reply #6 on: 8 January 2002, 19:17 »
Yes morpheus is kazaa(they look fucking identical). I see morpheus as the shitty version of kazaa(don't use either as neither are ported to unix, however my friend does, and morpheus doesn't like XP for some reason, kazaa does though)And as such you should probably stay away from it. I mean you saw how fast musicity was hacked, that kinda lets me know the quality of the people running that place.
If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands?

I chew my food, but why is it i can only see the corn and peanuts?

FuckMSTillTheyDie

• http://bigbrother.ms.com
Fuck the RIAA too
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2002, 21:48 »
morpheus is a good product, only assholes get hacked on their personal computers. (learn how to unbind sharing from tcp/ip or turn off your computer)

kazaa is spyware: cydoor and gator.

morpheus, at time of writing, does not contain any fucking spyware.

i have no idea why they chose to install spyware in one product and not the other. maybe they covered all the bases: if kazaa spyware doesn't make too much noise add it to morpheus, if it does, you keep morphues spyware-free..don't know..just use ad-aware and pray it's doesn't have it's own spyware...get zonealarm in either case and they pray it doesn't have a fucking trojan

or pay for your mp3s if you are that scared.

[ January 20, 2002: Message edited by: FuckMSTillTheyDie ]

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Fuck the RIAA too
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2002, 22:02 »
If you hate MS so much, why are you still using MS? Get rid of it.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Fuck the RIAA too
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2002, 18:19 »
Now i'm no expert, but surely KazAa is spyware, and Morpheus is ad supported freeware. Isn't this to give the user the choice between whether they'd rather put up with adverts or have their preferences logged and distributed?
I reckon that's a whole heap better than just having one or the other and not giving anybody a choice. Do they have an option of paying and removing the aforementioned annoyance features though? like Opera does?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Fuck the RIAA too
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2002, 18:21 »
And what about realplayer while we're on the subject of spyware? i heard they had nonspy versions a few years ago. Is it still possible to get these versions? And what about encoding from realmedia audio and video to anything else? say, AVI or MPEG. is that possible? to us general public? I know it's off topic a bit, sorry, it's not even M$ related. But it is about spyware in the end, as i only want to convert those annoying realmedia files, so i don't have to run realplayer ever again!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism