Author Topic: Record a Movie, go to jail.  (Read 1008 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Record a Movie, go to jail.
« on: 26 June 2004, 14:59 »
Slashdot Article

quote:

"The US Senate just unanimously passed a bill allowing the criminal prosecution of recording movies with a camcorder in theatres. Victims of the new bill would face 3 years in prison on first offense (5 if it was done for profit), repeat offenders would get 10 years. As a side note, it will cost taxpayers an additional 5 million dollars per year through 2009 for enforcement." Several states have made recording in theaters a crime, although none of them have penalties nearly as harsh as this Senate bill.

This is ridiculous.  Some idiot tapes a movie, violating a copyright, and will go to prison longer than a mugger or a pimp or a wifebeater?

2 months maybe I can understand... but 3 to 5 years????
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
Record a Movie, go to jail.
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2004, 19:20 »
Right about now would be a good time to bring this to the attention of the EFF and/or write your representatives.  This is disproportionate punishment, and they know it.

Edit:  Taking into consideration the length of time, why don't we just give all muggers, pimps, and wifebeaters life without parole?  I wonder if anyone would cry out then about disproportionate punishment, or if they'd all be imprisoned by then.  To quote a certain patriot: "Now is the time for every good man to come to the aid of his country" - let your voice be heard!

[ June 26, 2004: Message edited by: Midnight Candidate ]

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals