Author Topic: Please help these poor misguided souls  (Read 5479 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Please help these poor misguided souls
« Reply #15 on: 6 February 2005, 04:18 »
I've had more than a few drinks so please excuse me if my spelling and grammar is not up to standard, I've just got home from a club and I'm totally pissed but I will do my best.

Quote from: skyman8081
I agree with Refalm, going there to tell them how bad MS software is would be overstepping our boundries.

You can tell them that there is better software than Microsoft's, just as long as you're polite when voiceing your opinions.

Nor would it be in good taste.  Going there would not be good for our cause, and would offend more users thanit would convert.

As long as you're polite and don't make any "Windows sucks posts" then it's ok. I'm thinking about posting in this forum I might start of with "What don't you like about Windows?" or "Is there anything Microsoft has done that you disagree with?" and voiceing my opinions in a polite mannor, I will obviosly do this when I'm sober.

Lest we all forget, there are MANY users who would LOVE to ditch windows and switch to a free alternative, but need to use windows because of certain applications that don't have a linux equivalent, or are too important to trust to an API layer like WINE that may not support att the features of the application.  such as me.

I myself am one of those people too.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #16 on: 6 February 2005, 04:47 »
Okay, I apologise for my misinterpretation of this thread, but nobody has - of yet - made a worthy counter of my central point.  If anything, most people SUPPORT the notion that going over there in the "self-righteous prick" mode will do nothing but damage our reputation.  I apologise that I did not explain myself better, but I was speaking to the apparent 7 users out of 10 that leave this board and flame Windows BBSes with crap posts like "LINuX rulzoRZ Winblows SUX HAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!111" not the more experienced users that know any better.

That being said, I think Aloone made a more articulate argument of my case than I did (!).  I don't have a problem with people going over there per se, just with the idiots that think it's funny and constructive to spam other boards.  That being said, I agree with Janus on the title of this thread, but it's really up to each user to decide whether they want to delve into the realm of Windows repair tools or switch to something a little more fault-tolerant.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

JanusChrist

• Kudos: 15
« Reply #17 on: 6 February 2005, 07:27 »
Quote from: Orethrius
Okay, I apologise for my misinterpretation of this thread, but nobody has - of yet - made a worthy counter of my central point.  If anything, most people SUPPORT the notion that going over there in the "self-righteous prick" mode will do nothing but damage our reputation.  I apologise that I did not explain myself better, but I was speaking to the apparent 7 users out of 10 that leave this board and flame Windows BBSes with crap posts like "LINuX rulzoRZ Winblows SUX HAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!111" not the more experienced users that know any better.

That being said, I think Aloone made a more articulate argument of my case than I did (!).  I don't have a problem with people going over there per se, just with the idiots that think it's funny and constructive to spam other boards.  That being said, I agree with Janus on the title of this thread, but it's really up to each user to decide whether they want to delve into the realm of Windows repair tools or switch to something a little more fault-tolerant.

To jump to the conclusion that I was suggesting that we troll the msfn.org or "quash their right to free speech" (which is the stupidest line of pigshit I've read since I joined this board) is just plain ignorant. If you wanna keep this an isolated fringe group rather than get out and preach the truth ( that truth being "Microsoft is evil. These are the alternatives...)  then you're being counterproductive and might as well be on Microsoft's side.
On your way out of Microsoft Land feel free to smash a few Windows.

Orethrius

« Reply #18 on: 6 February 2005, 07:41 »
Quote from: JanusChrist
To jump to the conclusion that I was suggesting that we troll the msfn.org or "quash their right to free speech" (which is the stupidest line of pigshit I've read since I joined this board) is just plain ignorant. If you wanna keep this an isolated fringe group rather than get out and preach the truth ( that truth being "Microsoft is evil. These are the alternatives...)  then you're being counterproductive and might as well be on Microsoft's side.

Honestly, we've had trolls in the past.  In fact, we've *produced* trolls that go out and spam pro-Microsoft boards.  There's a fine line between a constructive presentation of alternatives, and outright bashing their products (though they leave much to be desired).  True, they aren't honest or forthcoming when it comes to problems with their OS, but why tell the users THAT?  Are we to assume that they're sufficiently stupid that they HAVEN'T noticed these problems yet?  If they hear the alternatives and still want to use Windows, that's their perogative (misinformed though it may be).  Besides, if we were to go to a Microsoft BBS and suggest alternative OSes rather than helpful software for that platform, are we not trampling the right of the user to choose whether they WANT or NEED Linux/Be/etcetera in the first place?  I don't see people coming in here recommending Microsoft tools over FOSS, but that could be due to the fact that they have this incredible tendency to spam us and subsequently get banned when they do so.

As far as being on Microsoft's side... I'll forgive that, as you're new here.

EDIT:  Oh, and for future reference, you might want to note that the history of this entire board - 9 times out of 10 - has had people posting things like "please help these poor misguided souls" followed by one post that says, and I quote, "Winbloze suxorz 2 mny wayz 2 cout!!!!!111" after which the originator never returns to elaborate.  At least you care enough to stick around and back your posts up, I congratulate you on that.
« Last Edit: 6 February 2005, 08:02 by Orethrius »

System Vitals

JanusChrist

• Kudos: 15
« Reply #19 on: 7 February 2005, 02:06 »
Quote from: Orethrius
Honestly, we've had trolls in the past.  In fact, we've *produced* trolls that go out and spam pro-Microsoft boards.  There's a fine line between a constructive presentation of alternatives, and outright bashing their products (though they leave much to be desired).  True, they aren't honest or forthcoming when it comes to problems with their OS, but why tell the users THAT?  Are we to assume that they're sufficiently stupid that they HAVEN'T noticed these problems yet?  If they hear the alternatives and still want to use Windows, that's their perogative (misinformed though it may be).  Besides, if we were to go to a Microsoft BBS and suggest alternative OSes rather than helpful software for that platform, are we not trampling the right of the user to choose whether they WANT or NEED Linux/Be/etcetera in the first place?  I don't see people coming in here recommending Microsoft tools over FOSS, but that could be due to the fact that they have this incredible tendency to spam us and subsequently get banned when they do so.

As far as being on Microsoft's side... I'll forgive that, as you're new here.

EDIT:  Oh, and for future reference, you might want to note that the history of this entire board - 9 times out of 10 - has had people posting things like "please help these poor misguided souls" followed by one post that says, and I quote, "Winbloze suxorz 2 mny wayz 2 cout!!!!!111" after which the originator never returns to elaborate.  At least you care enough to stick around and back your posts up, I congratulate you on that.

I don't doubt that there have been trolls on this board before but I know better on the rights and wrongs of how to bring people over to a cause. I don't see sites like Microsuck as a fringe culture, I see them a cause that needs to be spread. I'm here for the same reason everyone else is: Microsoft is an evil monopoly that engages in- and gets away with- unfair business practices and it's existance as such is detrimental to maintaining a fair and honest world market.

As for focusing simply on OSes, thats just a small part of a much wider picture. Most people actually need a version of Windows whether it be for games, work, or because they don't have the  computer savvy to master Linux or because they don't like the cost and lack of cross compatibility with Macintosh. Further advances in Linux will close the gap between itself and Windows eventually, but not right now. As for the bigger picture, people can be let to know that you don't need things like MS Office, Outlook, Internet Exploiter, MS Server, Windows Media Player, Hotmail, etc. We all know the reasons why and we all know the free and superior alternatives.

As a culture, we know we should do our personal best to use as few MS products as possible. As a cause, we should be letting as many people as possible know what is wrong with Microsoft, both their business ethics and product quality (or lack-there-of) and inform people of the alternatives.

Infighting is counterproductive and its against my nature to hold a grudge. Therefore, I'm willing to declare a truce between us.
On your way out of Microsoft Land feel free to smash a few Windows.

Orethrius

« Reply #20 on: 7 February 2005, 03:02 »
Truce accepted, motion carried.  ;)

I've always wondered how I would treat myself as I was six months ago, subsequent my joining this forum, and I've found out.  Piss-poor, to be concise.  You and I have more in common than you might think, it's just that my views have been watered down somewhat by the moderate cries of "Open Source fanboy" from Windows proponents.  I happen to agree that Microsoft has shoddy business practices, and that we need to bring as many alternatives as possible to the forefront.

Oh, and I've always wanted to say this:
"Janus... [khish-ah]... *I* AM YOUR FATHER. [khish-ah]" :D
Now where's that damned Vader smiley...

System Vitals

z0iid

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #21 on: 1 March 2005, 20:21 »
Windows does suck.  But because I took the time and energy to learn it inside and out, I have more business than I would ever have if I refused to learn windows and only stuck with flavors of linux.

Also, since microsoft has so many security issues - it keeps me in business.  I wouldn't have much repeat business with linux customers now would I?

So, from my business standpoint, Windows is the smart choice.

/make sense?

Orethrius

« Reply #22 on: 2 March 2005, 08:42 »
It always interests me how the only people defending Windows are those whose livelihoods depend on it.  Any non-service personnel share your view?  I think not.  :D

System Vitals

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #23 on: 3 March 2005, 10:27 »
who gives a shit what they are using.
Instead of spending endless amount of energy and time to change their minds, why not spent time in improving Linux and the applications that run on top of it
  The better Linux and its apps get, the deeper MS goes into the shithole where it came from.
Yeah

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 8 December 2005, 17:14 »
http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?p=110288#post110288

I've just joined a Winblow$ help forum and I'm not going to troll, my first posts will explain how to set up Windows securly and not use anti-virus, also I'll be suggesting alternatives for Microsoft products on the way.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #25 on: 8 December 2005, 23:25 »
Are you going to be resurrecting ancient threads at this new forum too?
:D

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 8 December 2005, 23:36 »
I already have. :D

By the way did you read rohitk89's response?

I found it hilarious how he/she advised I used one of those sites containing an Active X control to scan my computer with and infect it with malware, some people really have no clue.:D  :D  :D

You'd have to be crazy to trust one of those online scanning services - they're so insecure.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #27 on: 8 December 2005, 23:59 »
Some of the folks over there have neat avatars and sigs tho!  Aria Giovanni!  Would that sort of thing even be allowed over here?

When I was setting up my dad's computer, I hid IE and Outlook from him, and put Firefox and Thunderbird in their place.  He doesn't seem to notice any difference.

However, on our university network, it is important to have a virus program in place.  I've sat and watched a shitstorm of attacks being thrown against my firewall in Linux.  According to IT experts, somebody's dorm computer on campus is infected and throwing itself around.  We keep things pretty damn secure, but stuff still somehow gets through.  Norton has actually found a virus or 2 over the past 3 years, and considering how much blood, sweat, and tears I have spent in front of my computer, I am not prepared to take any chances.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #28 on: 9 December 2005, 00:14 »
Quote from: worker201
Some of the folks over there have neat avatars and sigs tho! Aria Giovanni! Would that sort of thing even be allowed over here?

You noticed it too ... hehe ... I want one :D ;) ... she is bootylicious :thumbup:

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: 18 December 2005, 21:34 »
LOL, I've noticed that there is already a small group of Linux lovers and MS haters on the board, but this belongs in the moron zone. :D

Having said that I'm glad to se that the some people on this forum have taken it up on themselves to seek alternatives to Microsoft products, good for them! :thumbup: