Author Topic: Please help these poor misguided souls  (Read 5476 times)

JanusChrist

• Kudos: 15
« Last Edit: 13 December 2009, 03:45 by Refalm »
On your way out of Microsoft Land feel free to smash a few Windows.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
Re: Please help these poor misguided souls
« Reply #1 on: 4 February 2005, 11:59 »
You're asking us to incite a revolution on an unrelated board, by quashing their right to free speech and/or their own opinions.  That would be counterintuitive to the entire concept of freedom.  Sorry, but as long as they're over there and we're over here, there will be no meddling between the two of us.  They don't come here to make us switch to Microsoft products; likewise, we don't force them to use open-source.  Whereas I cannot, by nature, respect people that force others to use MS products, I both can and will respect their right to decide whether open-source is right for them in their own usage.

That being said, why use MS products when there are alternatives out there - both open-source AND proprietary - that are both better and cheaper than the nearest MS equivalent, assuming there even IS one?  ;)

Additionally, it should be noted that the site mentioned is registered as a non-profit (with ThePlanet no less), running Apache over a Linux install.  It doesn't even have that crappy little "if browser_type != "Internet Explorer" then deny_access()" JavaScript (I've tried Mozilla, Firefox, *and* Konqueror with no failures logged yet).  They may warehouse information regarding Microsoft products, but at the very least, they have the common bloody sense not to actually USE them.  :D
« Last Edit: 4 February 2005, 12:07 by vincentrichter »

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #2 on: 4 February 2005, 13:03 »
That forum shows rightly that you need all kinds of 3rd party products to turn off all the bullshit that's in Windows.

JanusChrist

« Reply #3 on: 4 February 2005, 13:20 »
Quote from: Orethrius
You're asking us to incite a revolution on an unrelated board, by quashing their right to free speech and/or their own opinions.  That would be counterintuitive to the entire concept of freedom.  Sorry, but as long as they're over there and we're over here, there will be no meddling between the two of us.  They don't come here to make us switch to Microsoft products; likewise, we don't force them to use open-source.  Whereas I cannot, by nature, respect people that force others to use MS products, I both can and will respect their right to decide whether open-source is right for them in their own usage.

That being said, why use MS products when there are alternatives out there - both open-source AND proprietary - that are both better and cheaper than the nearest MS equivalent, assuming there even IS one?  ;)

Additionally, it should be noted that the site mentioned is registered as a non-profit (with ThePlanet no less), running Apache over a Linux install.  It doesn't even have that crappy little "if browser_type != "Internet Explorer" then deny_access()" JavaScript (I've tried Mozilla, Firefox, *and* Konqueror with no failures logged yet).  They may warehouse information regarding Microsoft products, but at the very least, they have the common bloody sense not to actually USE them.  :D

So what you're saying is "Don't preach unless it's to the choir"? Evil corporations like Microsoft exist becuz there are people that use their products.  People need to know why companies like Microsoft are evil and nothing is going to change if the people who know better are afraid of making waves. This has nothing to do with "quashing free speech" this is the very definition of it.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #4 on: 4 February 2005, 13:31 »
Quote from: JanusChrist
So what you're saying is "Don't preach unless it's to the choir"? Evil corporations like Microsoft exist becuz there are people that use their products.  People need to know why companies like Microsoft are evil and nothing is going to change if the people who know better are afraid of making waves. This has nothing to do with "quashing free speech" this is the very definition of it.

But are you suggesting that we should go to their forum and point out Microsoft alternatives to them?

Anyway, I feel sorry for those people :(
« Last Edit: 4 February 2005, 13:39 by Refalm »

JanusChrist

« Reply #5 on: 4 February 2005, 14:50 »
Quote from: Refalm
But are you suggesting that we should go to their forum and point out Microsoft alternatives to them?

Yes I am. And if you get banned for doing so, so what?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #6 on: 4 February 2005, 16:02 »
Yes I am. And if you get banned for doing so, so what?

Well, it gives us a bad name (kinda). Don't it?

JanusChrist

« Reply #7 on: 4 February 2005, 18:01 »
Well, it gives us a bad name (kinda). Don't it?

God bless the Internet where names are anonymous and disposable. :D

WaWAR_FA

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #8 on: 4 February 2005, 18:59 »
gets more and more militant here everytime i check in
Windows. Whats going to screw up today?

Linux.  Compiling, please wait...........

Mac OSx Are you sure you want to do that?  Are you sure your sure?  Are you really sure?  If your sure please hit Enter to continue.  You hit Enter are you sure you want to continue?

Giorgi

• Kudos: 58
« Reply #9 on: 4 February 2005, 19:22 »
God bless the Internet where names are anonymous and disposable. :D

:D   :thumbup:
I've just looked at few threads on that forum, and the text is like "My mum took away my PS2.." etc. It's useless to explain something to those kids (even if i'm only 15 years old  :rolleyes: ) They won't change anyways because their mummy will be angry.

Peace,  :tux:
Word is Born
Fight the war
F*ck the Norm!

JanusChrist

« Reply #10 on: 4 February 2005, 23:42 »
Quote from: Giorgi
:D   :thumbup:
I've just looked at few threads on that forum, and the text is like "My mum took away my PS2.." etc. It's useless to explain something to those kids (even if i'm only 15 years old  :rolleyes: ) They won't change anyways because their mummy will be angry.

Peace,  :tux:

Never know until you try.

BTW, I was banned from that forum without being given a reason. I emailed the webmaster, hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this.

We gotta bring da powa back!!

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #11 on: 5 February 2005, 00:50 »
seems like a stupid forum for stupid people (like me)
anyways, it looks better than this forum, so they got us on there!

Mr X
« Last Edit: 24 December 2005, 01:41 by Canadian Lover »

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #12 on: 5 February 2005, 03:02 »
I have a different point of view:

Yes, it is a good idea to visit this forum and voice our opinions, but we should not troll the forum, avoid statements like:
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #13 on: 5 February 2005, 10:56 »
I agree with Aloone. Don't be a moronic Red Ranger Software-like troll, be a Zombie 9920-like troll :D

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #14 on: 5 February 2005, 21:41 »
I agree with Aloone. Don't be a moronic Red Ranger Software-like troll, be a Zombie 9920-like troll :D

I agree with Refalm, going there to tell them how bad MS software is would be overstepping our boundries.

Nor would it be in good taste.  Going there would not be good for our cause, and would offend more users thanit would convert.

Lest we all forget, there are MANY users who would LOVE to ditch windows and switch to a free alternative, but need to use windows because of certain applications that don't have a linux equivalent, or are too important to trust to an API layer like WINE that may not support att the features of the application.  such as me.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!