Author Topic: Replacing Fan for GeForce4 Ti 4600  (Read 2196 times)

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
Replacing Fan for GeForce4 Ti 4600
« on: 6 February 2005, 05:25 »
The fan on my GeForce4 Ti 4600 was making some pretty obnoxious noises, so I decided to replace the old one with this new one.  It's a temporary solution until the exact fan arrives from the reseller in the first URL.

Since the original was an awkward size, I couldn't use the pins to fasten the new fan to the card.  Instead, I used some adhesive and applied thermal paste.  Does anyone see any potential problems with this?  I'm totally oblivious to proper cooling techniques and such, since I quit using PCs right around the time a dozen fans and constant temperature monitoring became normal.  Actually, since the new fan is much quieter I might decide to leave it even after the replacement arrives.

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
Re: Replacing Fan for GeForce4 Ti 4600
« Reply #1 on: 7 February 2005, 12:18 »
I don't see how that could cause a problem...
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

Aaron Ni

• VIP
  • Kudos: 33
« Reply #2 on: 8 February 2005, 03:20 »
It should hold fine, but if you do experience trouble you could always get some extremely thin sheet metal and using heavy scissors trim a piece that has two prongs on each end, you could then bend this and use this bracket to adapt the screw holes to the mounting.

Think of it this way, if computer fans can survive being a combustion chamber fan then it'll handle being bodged onto a mounting. :)
You know me.... really...

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #3 on: 8 February 2005, 04:36 »
Actually the fan fell off yesterday, so I just put some oil in the old fan and reattached it.  Meanwhile, I ordered two fans from the URL above, which should last me until I finally decommission this computer in a few years.  

Fan noise has never bothered me much; replacing them is an entirely different story.  Especially when their proprietary.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #4 on: 9 February 2005, 05:01 »
I was doing some research on replacing fans that had no mounting clips.  One method said to put a conservative amount of  heat sink compound right in the middle of the chip (enough so that it won't spread to the corners of the chip when pressed together), and a couple of tiny drops of superglue on two opposing corners.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #5 on: 9 February 2005, 12:42 »
They actually make thermal adhesive, which will act as your thermal paste and stick the heatsink on. Dunno if it's any good.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

manandmachine

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2005, 10:29 »
Quote from: KernelPanic
They actually make thermal adhesive, which will act as your thermal paste and stick the heatsink on. Dunno if it's any good.
perhaps the old method of a roll of duct tape lol
ok i never ran into a fan problem before, the fan would dam good enough reason to up grade the whole computer! wonder if the wife will buy that one?:thumbup: