Author Topic: I was fucked by Microsoft  (Read 1245 times)

gnomez

• Kudos: 0
I was fucked by Microsoft
« on: 21 April 2002, 01:38 »
This is rather long, but very worth your while to read! (Or so I think)

There are many people who gripe about product activation and how it intrudes your privacy, treats you like a crook, etc.  But the real bad side of Microsoft's new "anti-piracy" effort can be seen when it affects legitimate customers in a bad way, like it did me.  Listen to this rather unpleasant "experience" I just had with Microsoft.   :mad:  

I recently got together the parts to build a new computer for myself, since my old one was falling apart.  For my OS I wanted to dual boot SuSE 8.0 and Windows XP, so I could use Linux and at the same time be able to run some programs that aren't available for Linux yet.  Even though I already had a copy of Windows XP (actually I don't have it; it came with my brother's computer) I needed my own copy since my attempt to install it on my computer was rather ruinous.  You see, I installed his copy of XP on my machine with one of the many cracks that are available on the internet.  The crack was supposed to remove WPA from the OS.  All was well until one day I tried to log onto my computer but I couldn't; every time I tried to log in it booted me off.  I thought it was a virus at first, but then I realized this was exactly 30 days after I had put XP on my computer.  So, obviously the hack hadn't worked.  Or... perhaps it had, but MS secretly put something on my computer during one of the "automatic updates" that re-enabled it.  (X-Files music playing in background)  Anyway, I ordered the computer parts and a new OEM copy of XP from googlegear.com, but I ordered XP a few weeks before I ordered the parts because I wasn't sure on which parts to get at the time.  When Windows XP came I didn't have a working computer since this was just a few days after XP had bombed mine, but I had a bare-bones Win 98 installation on it.  "Oh goodie!" said I.  "The copy of Windows XP I ordered has finally arrived!  Time to use my computer again!"  So, I installed it on my computer since the parts for the new one hadn't arrived yet.  I was slightly concerened about how I would "un-install" it from my computer so I could put it on the new one, but it nagged me to activate so much that I finally gave in and just activated it.  Besides, I thought, It's my copy; I'm sure I can install it on my other computer and remove it from this one.  I've never had a piece of software not let me transfer it from one computer to another.  I was very curious, though, as to how I would go about doing this, so I went to Microsoft's webpage and read "Licensing 101."  My question was there:  
quote:
Is it possible to transfer a license to another computer?
Consumers should refer to the terms of their license agreement to determine whether or not it is legal to transfer a license to another computer. But in those cases where it is allowed, the product must first be removed from the previous computer. Users may be required to complete the activation on the new computer by placing a call to the Microsoft Activation Center.
 OK, so I got out my Eunuch Underling Lashing Agreement (EULA) where to my horror I read this:  
quote:
OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be transferred to another PC.
 AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rather gay XPerience, is it not?   :mad:

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2002, 01:57 »
Again, I ask.

Why do people put up with this shit???
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Ctrl Alt Del 123

« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2002, 21:05 »
Call up MS and say the PC you installed XP on has really messed up, and then re-activate it on the next PC you want to.

Eventhough I like XP myself, I got Corperate Edition, so no WPA for me. WPA is HORRID, CRAP, BULLSHIT, and f*cked up in the first place. I HATE IT, let me make sure you all know that.

However, get Corperate Edition like me and not have to deal with it.

gnomez

« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2002, 19:02 »
I've got a better idea.  I'm not going to use Windows XP ever, period.   :D

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2002, 21:18 »
Good for you!

Fredledingue

• http://www.geocities.com/fredledingo/
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2002, 00:37 »
"I've got a better idea. I'm not going to use Windows XP ever, period."

You'r right.
  ;)  I never have to log on W98! read my post above.

Botiemaster

« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2002, 21:55 »
See this is why this version was made. It's for OEM's that install each copy once on every computer. NEVER buy an OEM version, no matter how cheap it may be, unless you totally plan to never transfer it to another PC. I still wonder what version mine is. I bought it on EBAY. When i called M$ to get it activated (@##^%&@!$%&^*!) i almost couldn't do it cause the lady started talking about i had to contact the seller and get him to write a frickin paper saying he was transfering it to me. She then told me to wait and see if it was still activated and she didn't find anything so she activated me. That must have seem strange, "i bought it on ebay!" I swear they must get that all the time from pirates  :D  BTW WPA is stoopid. And not even that was MS's idea   :rolleyes:  I wonder if they have ever developed something on their own....
I am the GAME

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2002, 13:13 »
NO, they did NOT develop basic. I cannot remember who did, but Microsoft were NOT the originators of basic.
If it helps, i'm pedantic enough to find out who it was and post it here, but it really irritates me when even M$' detractors give them credit where credit is not due.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2002, 17:30 »
DOS wasnt developed by MS either, it was stolen from....(cant remember, but i know they did not origanally develop it)And no they didnt develop basic either. They also stole their windows operating system from IBM when Microsoft broke a deal.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #9 on: 23 April 2002, 18:03 »
they stole the windows concept from APPLE when they broke a deal. I can't remember from whom DOS was filched, but everybody knows it was According to this page here and a whole bunch of others that i found, BASIC was developed at Dartmouth College in 1964.

Addendum:
According to this page, Seattle Computer Products originally made the 86-DOS operating system(also called QDOS, for Quick and Dirty Operating System). It was been written by Tim Paterson earlier in 1980.

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2002, 21:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
they stole the windows concept from APPLE when they broke a deal. I can't remember from whom DOS was filched, but everybody knows it was According to this page here and a whole bunch of others that i found, BASIC was developed at Dartmouth College in 1964.

Addendum:
According to this page, Seattle Computer Products originally made the 86-DOS operating system(also called QDOS, for Quick and Dirty Operating System). It was been written by Tim Paterson earlier in 1980.

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

are you sure? i was certain the ms was in a deal with ibm that they would develop two operating systems together(one server, one desktop OS) and MS squelched on the deal and took the desktop OS (windows)
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 23 April 2002, 21:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by Master of Reality:

are you sure? i was certain the ms was in a deal with ibm that they would develop two operating systems together(one server, one desktop OS) and MS squelched on the deal and took the desktop OS (windows)

Actually it was both.

M$ licenced some of Apples code and the ability to use icons and such, to create Win 3.1. But M$ went to far and filched alot more than they were allowed. M$ went to court but Apple lost, not because they were wrong, but because their lawyers made the contract to vague.

IBM asked M$ to help them with OS2/warp, half way in to the project M$ bailed and ran off witha  butload of source. Guess where that ended up?

As for MS DOS, same deal, IBM asked them to help out with PC DOS, half way, they ran off and made MS DOS.

www.osdata.com

http://www.MacKiDo.com/Interface/ui_history.html