Author Topic: bizzare forum  (Read 1926 times)

alucard

• Kudos: 0
bizzare forum
« on: 12 February 2002, 02:35 »
why anyone that uses a microsoft product would come for help at fuckmicrosoft.com is bizzare.  maybe it's just me...

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
bizzare forum
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2002, 02:47 »
Hey, maybe it's not such a bad idea... I'm sure there are *plenty* of people out there who are having trouble with MS products and not getting *any* help from MS.  They might come to this site because they are fed up with it, and in the process they might get turned on to the alternatives... Sounds like it could be a good thing.  Although it surely is tempting to hammer the people who do come here looking for help with their MS software (and I have to admit that I have done a little bashing, just couldn't help myself).

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

alucard

bizzare forum
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2002, 03:18 »
i see your point.  i do see people getting help with problems and there are very knowlegable people here.  i guess i lol at the irony of it all.  "hey, i need help with my micorsoft product, think i'll go to fuckmicrosoft to get answers"  i've used macs for  15 years but i'm not a microsoft hater.  i just find the billy g os boring.  and, to me, xp is like the fisher-price of os's.  i like this forum though and will be checking back often...

dbl221

bizzare forum
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2002, 03:37 »
Well maybee instead of just bashing Micro$hit users we should be encouraging them to try linux MAC BSD and the rest....I know it's tempting to just slag them off but hey if they come to this site they must be a little curious about the alternatives.

Go Linux et al
  :eek:
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

lu666s

• http://www.lumir.net/
bizzare forum
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2002, 04:17 »
Well, bashing... They fucked with me for long long years, so I think that some bashing is rightfully in order!;)

I have no chance to sue them for the wrinkless that resulted from sleepless nights when trying to recover from their fuckware, so there...

Othewise, yes, If I can help someone to see the light by 'audiatur et altera pars', I would.
I'm not in favor of senseless Microsoft bashing. I'm in favor of bashing Microsoft senseless.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
bizzare forum
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2002, 18:09 »
Yes, but those individuals who come here looking for help with their fuckware (now THAT is a fantastic word) are the victims rather than the perpetuators of those crimes.

What if person A said "i'm having a fuck of a time trying to get any programs at all to start up, every time i try to do anything my computer crashes!"
and person B said "you know what? Are you running Windows?"
Person A "yup, of course!"
Person B (with smug grin) "Why don't you try using Linux, it's much more stable than windows, runs better on older and slower computers, takes up less memory and is faster than windows, not only that... It's free!"
Person A "Eh? i didn't even know there was an alternative for windows! well, maybe i'll try it but i don't know if i will be able to learn a whole new system, now i know how to use windows!"
Person B "Well, here's a few Linux CDs you can borrow, just in case..."
3 months later Person A gets so fucked off with windows that they install Linux and throw their Windows CD under a passing train. Hooray! the forces of evil have once more been vanquished!

Now the other alternative is this:
Person A "i'm having a fuck of a time trying to get any programs at all to start up, every time i try to do anything my computer crashes!"
Person B "you know what? Are you running Windows?"
Person A "yup, of course!"
Person B "HA HA! You FUCKTARD, why don't you get a REAL OS? HMM? EH?"
(tomato and rotten egg throwing commences)

Now, which one is more likely to have people changing from windows to Linux? answers on a post-it note!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Gonusto

bizzare forum
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2002, 22:36 »
Hey, the only people I bash around here are those who come to this site spewing pro-Microsoft propaganda.  On the other hand, if they come looking for help with their Microsoft products, then I'm more than willing to share my limited amount of knowledge with them.

And the only person I called a "fucktard" was that (now) "Not Registered" person in the other thread.  And that was only because I knew it'd piss him off.

On a side note, I have to agree that "fuckware" is yet another great word . . .

-Gonusto

lu666s

• http://www.lumir.net/
bizzare forum
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2002, 01:36 »
Calum, I meant bashing MacroShit, of course. Now, they have legions of shills to populate net forums with their garbage. Fuck them too.

As for happless crapdoze users, converted quite a few and will be doing so in the future.
I'm not in favor of senseless Microsoft bashing. I'm in favor of bashing Microsoft senseless.

dbl221

bizzare forum
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2002, 08:54 »
Just for the record fucktard is a great word.  But I am having a great deal of trouble converting my some of my class mates to Linux.

It seams the issue they raise is not the OS but the software they are running...which is usually non-M$ stuff.

Also they complain that Linux is just too much work.

Kay these are computer-systems students...I mean if I can't convert them.....@**%$@^*(#
  :mad:
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
bizzare forum
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2002, 10:11 »
quote:
Kay these are computer-systems students...I mean if I can't convert them.....@**%$@^*(#

It just might be a case of "self-preservation" on their part. After all, if one is contemplating a career that consists mainly of fixing broke M$ systems, one probably won't be real happy about Linux. If everyone goes Linux, what will all those MCSEs do for a living?
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
bizzare forum
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2002, 13:48 »
System administrators? Server Technicians?
I am not too hot on what you can do as a Unix technician compared to a M$ technician, but surely the big business is, or will be in, Unix rather than Windows? Unless they plan to open a little shop offering stopgap repairs to home PC owners, then they should be rushing towards Linux with open arms, singing hallelujah! (IMHO)
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

crustymc

• http://none
bizzare forum
« Reply #11 on: 16 February 2002, 22:08 »
just wanted to say that I use windows 98 and I have mad problems w/it. Dell tech support tells me that I am doing everything right and its not me and to reinstall windows yet again. How many reinstalls and reformats can my poor hd take?
I have chosen this forum to post my misery because I have found friendly and easy to understand answers to newbie questions.
I am also VERY motivated to dumping windows altogether and this seems like a good place to start learning how to do this.

iancom

bizzare forum
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2002, 02:25 »
Technically, if it's sound your HD should be able to take all the reformatting you can throw at it. Which is very lucky for Windows users who have to do it every few months. One of the best time-saving things I ever did at work was design a completely automated 'just stick the floppy in and leave it' install off the network that you could come back to an hour later and the whole PC and all software was completely finished installing. Most PC's there are reinstalled every six months or so...

Windows 98 is pretty poor in many respects. Of 95/98/ME (and in the absence of W2K) I actually prefer to use 95 in a business environment. 98 is much better for games though. Don't even go near Win ME.

Glad to hear you're keen to have a go at a non-MS platform! You're already a good way towards freeing yourself...

It won't be easy, but stick at it and you'll have a system that works without crashing or constant reinstallation and you'll learn a hell of a lot about what really goes on in your PC.

I would recommend starting off with Mandrake 8.1. Just check that it'll support your modem first. Some Winmodems are still not fully supported in Linux, and there's nothing more frustrating than having an otherwise fully functional system that just won't connect to the Internet - the source of pretty much all software and knowledge for Linux!

Go with a dual-boot system while you're getting comfortable with Linux. You'll probably want to go back to it for some of your games or to remind yourself how worthwhile it is for you to spend a little time getting to know Linux!

You're going to reinstall Windows anyway, so install that before Linux, but let's make sure the disk partitioning is right first.

You can use the Windows 98 CD to boot to a command prompt (I think it's one of the options on one of the first couple of screens of the installation routine).

Use fdisk to create a 2GB primary partition for Windows 98.

Install Windows 98 as normal...

Once that's done, you can start on Linux. Boot with the Mandrake 8.1 disk and follow all the instructions according to your needs. Have a dig around on the Internet for more info on installing it.

You'll want to give Linux a 2GB partition, plus a swap partition of twice your physical RAM.

Mandrake should automatically configure its bootloader to allow you the choice of choosing Windows or Linux on each bootup (it will configure Linux as the default OS but you could change that if you really wanted to). Beware that reinstalling Windows 98 after Linux usually screws up this bootloader (probably done deliberately by MS...).

The rest of your hard disk you can partition and format as FAT32 in Windows 98 and use it to store all of your data that you want to be available to both OS's... Linux can quite happily use FAT32 filesystems.

Let us know how you get on and if you need any help!

crustymc

• http://none
bizzare forum
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2002, 02:36 »
Thanks IanC. fdisk huh?
Alright sounds good.
Good to know I only need 2 gigs, I was gonna give winblows 98 10 gigs.
Getting a copy of Mandrake from a friend tomorrow as he has a way faster connection than I do. Speaking of, why is my 56k connection testing at 27k on cnet? Is it because my isp is MSN? Or is it winblows? Or some deadly combo?
I you don't hear from me for a couple of days it's because I screwed this all up and can't get online!
Damn I'm nervous!  ;)

badkarma

• VIP
bizzare forum
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2002, 04:50 »
56k is the theoretical maximum speed, network perfomance and latency make sure a modem will never reach this with normal internet use  
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.