Author Topic: Viva la France  (Read 1493 times)

Duo Maxwell

• VIP
  • Kudos: 232
    • http://www.homepage.mac.com/duo_maxwell1/
Viva la France
« on: 26 April 2005, 22:29 »
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22795

FRENCH LEGISLATORS ruled that anti-copying digital rights management software on DVDs should be banned because it prevents a user making copies for private use.

A Parisian court of appeal on Friday threw out a complaint from Films Alain Sarde and Studio Canal and sided with consumer's body, the Union F

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Re: Viva la France
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2005, 01:51 »
Bravo. :thumbup:

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2005, 04:06 »
...and yet, my native country somehow finds it acceptable to give them no end to the measure of rhetorical shit...

Intolerance is always a great excuse to cover blatent abuses of the economy and society, isn't it?

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2005, 10:53 »
It's a damn shame that the US government has its head too far up its ass to learn from this example.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2005, 12:54 »
Quote from: Annorax
It's a damn shame that the US government has its head too far up its ass to learn from this example.

It's not a question of how far - in the negative - the administration's heads are removed from their asses, it's more a question of decorum - or the lack thereof. Apparently, in the military, it's very "in" to consider our nation superior to the rest. As the rest of the nation goes, "you're either for us, or against us" for the liars that brand themselves "patriots" and leave no room for descension. I thought the mark of a civilisation was being able to freely criticise one's military actions?

We could learn a lot from the French (especially those of us that rank on them every chance we get).

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2005, 15:38 »
it's ironic how the US are so kneejerk against the french these days since the two countries have historically been friends for centuries
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2005, 16:43 »
The two countries have had considerable mutual influence in the founding of their respective democracies. France has given much military support to the American independence movement, which in turn inspired the French revolution.

And for the record, even Britain has its share of credit, having produced, along with France and Switzerland, philosophers who challenged absolutism and came up with the ideas of civil rights.

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2005, 16:49 »
it's ironic how the US are so kneejerk against the french these days since the two countries have historically been friends for centuries
The problem is that Bush has been afraid of hairy women since he saw his mom that time in the shower. If we could just convince the french women to shave their armpits and legs, bush would be able to have sex with the French prime ministers wife to break the ice. Everything would be OK then, maybe we can air-drop some packages over paris with razors in them. I dunno, but we have to come up with something.
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2005, 16:53 »
They should be airdropped over the US, to help them shave their Bush off.

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2005, 16:58 »
Quote from: laukev7
They should be airdropped over the US, so they can shave their Bush off.
lmfao, I don't even like the us (hence the :( i keep next to my location :D ) . I would much rather live somewhere in the UK, most likely England. I have actually been thinking about moving. The us's culture is all fucked up and trashy.
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2005, 17:02 »
I'd love to see the UK someday, both England and Scotland look very nice, but Tony Blair is fucking up the country, he's not much better than Bush apparently.

I guess culture is a matter of taste, but I think it's not as much American culture itself that's bad as the corporations that are destroying it.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2005, 17:49 »
Quote from: BobTheHob
lmfao, I don't even like the us (hence the :( i keep next to my location :D ) . I would much rather live somewhere in the UK, most likely England.

i live there, it's fucked up and trashy too. i wouldn't recommend anywhere in the south east of england if that's your motivation for moving. try the south east, or east coast of scotland instead, i would say.

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #12 on: 28 April 2005, 06:10 »
Excellent. Now when will they hurry up and do it in Australia...
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #13 on: 28 April 2005, 14:42 »
too late.

oh yes, by and large australia is a much less fucked up place to be, but the highly racist foundation that white australia is built on (both with regards to the indigenous australian people and more recent overseas immigrants, it seems that white european immigrants are the only people allowed to feel comfortable, and in some cases to even be allowed to live in, in australia under the current administration) cannot help but contribute to a sense of social unease.

on the plus side, the mouth foaming racist chip shop party are now disbanded i hear, but australia still votes in that little nationalist/racist weasel time after time. i know labor are a shambles, but now beazley's back at least give him a chance, i say.