Author Topic: Why is my windoze so damned SLOW?  (Read 5288 times)

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
Re: Why is my windoze so damned SLOW?
« Reply #30 on: 7 May 2005, 23:32 »
Oh,in case you were wondering, yes, my FreeBSD kernel is heavily modified. Nothing is loaded into it that doesn't need to be.
:)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #31 on: 7 May 2005, 23:35 »
Fluxbox has everything!
What does Windows have that fluxbox hasn't?
« Last Edit: 8 May 2005, 00:04 by piratePenguin »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #32 on: 8 May 2005, 01:37 »
Windows has a fully featured desktop, while fluxbox is just a Window manager.

I agree with toadlife, we're comparing Windows XP which has a fully featured desktop with a UNIX version running just a simple Window manager.

Well personally I consider Xfce to be more than a just a Window manager - it's light-weight desktop too, so perhaps my comparason isn't so unfair. :D
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #33 on: 8 May 2005, 01:43 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Windows has a fully featured desktop, while fluxbox is just a Window manager.

I agree with toadlife, we're comparing Windows XP which has a fully featured desktop with a UNIX version running just a simple Window manager.

Well personally I consider Xfce to be more than a just a Window manager - it's light-weight desktop too, so perhaps my comparason isn't so unfair. :D
I was just gonna mention XFCE! I tried it out earlier on and it loaded in practically the same time a fluxbox, if not faster. It's absolutely amazing, looks cool and all. Gonna start using it soon.

I used to love KDE, and then I moved on to GNOME. But there's not much need for huge desktop enviornments like that.
And there's stuff in GNOME and KDE that isn't in the Windows desktop thing (well I don't know this. But there better be!),

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: 8 May 2005, 02:12 »
That's true KDE (I don't know too much about GNOME) has many features not found in the Windows desktop, like when you place the mouse cursor over a picture file the preview pops up. The choice is yours, I like XFCE because it's a happy medium between a full bloat desktop and feature lacking window manager.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

ShawnD1

• Kudos: 106
« Reply #35 on: 8 May 2005, 10:49 »
Quote from: Gnome
But surely the Linux box - which has slower drives and was working them harder than the drive in the doze box should have suffered this more?

I wouldn't know; I could never get Samba to work.

Phase2

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #36 on: 21 May 2005, 09:09 »
Well, beginning in Spring 2001, I used Windows ME for 2/3 years. I know it's one of the most despised versions of Windows, but for the purpose of this thread, it loaded extremely fast. The fastest load I have ever seen. Of course I had to modify it, and make sure nothing extra loaded in, as it would by default, but from then on, it was exceptionally fast.

Phase2

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #37 on: 21 May 2005, 12:32 »
yes, XFce kicks ass, and is best.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2005, 23:23 by e7ement »
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

RaZoR1394

• Kudos: 219
    • http://razoreye.mine.nu/
« Reply #38 on: 21 May 2005, 18:09 »
Even if Windows is faster than Linux/FreeBSD during the first days after it has been installed, the registry, fragged disc clusters and added startup files will make the OS slower and slower until it one day simply hard locks. I'm currently using Gentoo on 4 comps and It's fast as hell with a stripped down kernel and only installed services. It's another story if you're using distros like Mandriva, Fedora, Ubuntu and so on. Their kernels are pre customized with extra drivers and they are often hogged with a lot of extra unneeded services.

Well that's one of the things I hate with Windows most; All the required maintainance which the OS needs is sick. You have to defrag your discs, clean the cache, clean the registry, defrag the registry, clean bad application entries. It's pretty necessary if you wan't to keep the OS fast and slim when using the computer a lot. It feels like MS have made the defragger deliberately slow because both OO Perfectdisc and Diskeeper blows it to mars and I haven't seen any big difference in performance with the inbuilt defragger during the past years. Is it really necessary to have like 5 extra third-party tools just keep the OS running? I smell some kind conspiracy/cartell...

In Gentoo I can't really think of anything similar that makes the OS get slower and slower. For me it has gone the other way after making all the optimizations and upgrading the apps + the kernel.

Spyware and viruses are also known to slow down the computer a lot. Sometimes they won't even let you in because of locking the comp just at the boot or login pre-login screen. Personally I haven't gotten any serious hijacks by viruses or spyware but It's been very close too. One day I just got enough after having to repeat that silly process at least once a week. If you still use Windows I and wan't to do like I did back in the Windows days, here's what I used:

Tuneup utilities 2004
Microsoft antispyware
Nod32
Windows update/Windows Auto update/Lose .exe updates
Diskeeper

Except these ones there were other tools that had to assist when some of these ones fails.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #39 on: 22 May 2005, 00:03 »
I think we have a winner for the boot-race.
BeOS (5PEMaxEditionV31b1), which I just installed onto another disk, booted for me in 11 seconds, and took about 3 seconds to become fully-functional, a grand total of 14 seconds.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #40 on: 22 May 2005, 05:24 »
Quote from: Calum
yes, XFce kicks ass, and is best. i would watch yourself though guys, if you suggest it's better than windows, you might fall foul of some of the wild moderators roaming these parts at the moment!

XFce sucks.  Windows blows.  It's all about Fluxbox, man,
« Last Edit: 24 May 2005, 23:23 by e7ement »

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #41 on: 22 May 2005, 07:41 »
yes, XFce kicks ass, and is best. i would watch yourself though guys, if you suggest it's better than windows, you might fall foul of some of the wild moderators roaming these parts at the moment!

Calum, that was completely uncalled for.

You should re-think your arguments, instead of Making Ad Hominem attacks on other members.

Good Day.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: 22 May 2005, 11:02 »
I agree with skyman here, Calum you shouldn't have said that even though I agree with you that XFce roolz and Winbloze drulez.

Orethrius,
I can understand you wanting to get back at Calum but there's no need to insult our nation as a whole. You're not just leaving just because you don't get on with a member here are you? :rolleyes:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #43 on: 22 May 2005, 15:33 »
There no need to generalise an entire nation or GUI here.

And fuck, leaving this forum only makes things worse, because you're letting someone win.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #44 on: 24 May 2005, 22:51 »
Quote from: Orethrius
XFce sucks.  Windows blows.
so mature, i like how you back yourself up with hard evidence, moron.
It's all about Fluxbox, man, and I'm beginning to see why we seceded from your bloody arrogant nation.
MY nation? you fucktard! when did you secede from scotland? pillock. learn some history before you go mouthing off at people round the world in typical USA style.
What the hell?  I'M picking on YOU?
and once more, it's a breach of the forum rules. you and your ilk continue to prove that you think you are above the forum rules.  
That's rich.  Thanks for blending your insinuations into as MANY threads as possible.
what the fuck? go and fuck yourself, moron, what's the big deal and why have you got such a problem? you are going to disappear right up your own ass if you're not careful. did you know that people who spend their time pissed off die younger?

If anyone needs to know why I'm not posting here anymore, that'd be it right there.
GOOD BLOODY BYE.
:mad:

oh i'm so scared. one less moron to worry about in these forums, now if only he'd leave the planet too...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism