Author Topic: new build of longhorn.  (Read 1809 times)

solarismka

• Kudos: 0
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

zao

new build of longhorn.
« Reply #1 on: 4 June 2004, 03:37 »
Looks like Windows XP on steroid. I noticed IE got a  new facelift, has pop-up blocks but it is still below the norm other browsers like Mozilla have.

As for the 3D GUI, I learn it required a powerful PC to do basic thing like rotating thus wondering how Microsoft team implement their program. I hear Blender used to show the 3D GUI demo until they went    OSS. Franky, even a console like Nintendo 64 can do similar thing without asking too much resource.

As for the sidebar, it is nothing new.

Overall, by the time Longhorn will be available, Linux distros like Fedora will already render it obsolete since they got rid XFree86 (due to their licenses incompatible with GPL).

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
new build of longhorn.
« Reply #2 on: 4 June 2004, 04:09 »
quote:
Figure 14. The windows all stack up when you press Alt-Tab.

Wow! Just like Expos

Claris

• Kudos: 109
    • http://hompage.mac.com/neonsoldierx/PhotoAlbum3.html
new build of longhorn.
« Reply #3 on: 8 June 2004, 00:25 »
And 3D is better why? I mean, does it come with a free pair of 3D glasses?
Windows: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

solarflare

new build of longhorn.
« Reply #4 on: 8 June 2004, 02:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by -=Solaris.M.K.A=-:
And yes, its STILL ugly.http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/05/18/longhorn.html?page=3

Looks crap - so what you can stack windows on top of each other!

Pretty pointless really - expos

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
new build of longhorn.
« Reply #5 on: 9 June 2004, 16:59 »
Why do they at Microsoft always have copy Apple? Innovation, my foot! Courtroom sessions, here we go!
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
new build of longhorn.
« Reply #6 on: 9 June 2004, 18:40 »
quote:
solarflare: Looks crap - so what you can stack windows on top of each other!

Pretty pointless really - expos

solarismka

new build of longhorn.
« Reply #7 on: 10 June 2004, 02:28 »
Personaly, Ia agree also that the stacking thing is pritty pointless.  People have to spend more money on machines just so that they can 'stack their windows in 3D?'

KDE is slick now and it does everything for me.  No gig of ram needed!

"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
new build of longhorn.
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2004, 16:46 »
I think that 3D stacking would seem neat at first, but it's just eye-candy, isn't very useful, and requires too much power. Maybe if they got rid of every single concept they've come up with so far, but greatly improved that one....

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
new build of longhorn.
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2004, 22:14 »
Maybe they should stop focusing on the look, and actually make the system worthwhile, especially in the face of strong competition from Linux. Look at OSX. They built a strong os, then added a clean, and "pretty" look to it. The eye candy in OSX is actually there for a functional reason. Why Microsoft dosen't do this confuses the shit out of me.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
new build of longhorn.
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2004, 06:30 »
http://weblogs.asp.net/fbouma/archive/2003/09/29/29544.aspx

:D  Some people don't have to be told that Windows blows. They figure it out for themselves but they are so in love with MS that they just can't say it!
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
new build of longhorn.
« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2004, 07:38 »
"Why Microsoft dosen't do this confuses the shit out of me."

It's no secret, really. This has been how they operate from the get-go. Bill Gates, himself, refused to work on improving the security of Win-Doesn't for a good many years. Security, you see, is something that the consumer can't see. Therefore, it is of no sales value. So it's a waste of time to improve it. It wasn't until security became a total embarrassment that they decided to do anything about it at all.

What you see here is just more of the same old, same old. They refuse to learn anything.

Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Fidel

• http://none
new build of longhorn.
« Reply #12 on: 25 July 2004, 11:31 »
wow lets all gang up and insult the pre beta longhorn OS, sounds kinda stupid.[QUOTEeven a console like Nintendo 64 can do similar thing without asking too much resource]  [/QUOTE] Hmm lets think the finished N64 vs pre beta longhorn and to add to that the N64 is made for video and graphics Longhorn uses what its on.
Hasta la Victoria Siempre. Ernesto Guevara

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
new build of longhorn.
« Reply #13 on: 25 July 2004, 16:00 »
quote:
Look at OSX. They built a strong os, then added a clean, and "pretty" look to it.

I thought they bought a strong OS, added a dog-slow graphics engine to suck up resources, and then added the pretty look :-D

oh, and I think LH is gonna be good.

[ July 25, 2004: Message edited by: JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder ]

Go the fuck ~

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
new build of longhorn.
« Reply #14 on: 25 July 2004, 18:29 »
quote:

I think LH is gonna be good.

Altough I haven't tried Long Horn yet, I agree it does sound good.

As far as the Bloatware arguement, I criticise all modern operating systems for this.

Although I haven't used OSX in ages I have seen enough to believe that it's bloated. The same is true about some Linux distros, and I don't even need to mention XP. As I have said before, at least Linux gives you a choice, if MS would give us a choice, more people would use LH.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: