Author Topic: %$^& win2k  (Read 1149 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
%$^& win2k
« on: 16 December 2003, 08:17 »
We just bought a buncha new PC's without hard disks.  One was to replace a Linux box, the others win2k machines.  The rationale was to move the hard drives over.....  not waste time reeinstalling everything.

Linux had only 2 problems.
1)  Had to download and install NVidia proprietery drivers using Lynx (XF86 naitive drivers dont work for GF4).  No big deal really.
2)  Realtek onboard LAN didn't work... ok just plug in a 3com 10/100 and ready to go.

Win2k refused to boot:  NTLDR missing.

Followed all the tips on google.  Tried repair.  The disk was fine and all the files were accessible from the repair console.  Nothing works.  Format the hard drive and suddely everything works... of course this means formatting and reconfiguring and reinstalling everything.....  many many hours of work.

WTF.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
%$^& win2k
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2003, 21:23 »
Doesn't formatting the hard drive usually solve almost any and all OS problems.

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
%$^& win2k
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2003, 22:19 »
I have to say that's very strange. That's never happened to me and I've done hard drive transplants many times.

However I must also say that re-installing Win2k is a good idea anyway. Putting an old installation of it into a new box will make it run a bit slower cause of all the hardware changes that it wasn't originally configured for.

BTW, thank God its not XP. With XPiss or Longshit all the activation bells would be going off if you try to move it to a different machine.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
%$^& win2k
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2003, 02:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by M. O'Brien:
Win2k refused to boot:  NTLDR missing.

My school had that happen on 3 different Win2k machines.  :mad:
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
%$^& win2k
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2003, 23:44 »
quote:
M. O'Brien: Linux had only 2 problems.
1)  Had to download and install NVidia proprietery drivers using Lynx (XF86 naitive drivers dont work for GF4).  No big deal really.
2)  Realtek onboard LAN didn't work... ok just plug in a 3com 10/100 and ready to go.

I had no problems with both (yes I have a GF4 and a Realtek onboard LAN. even the onboard sound works without installing or anything).

quote:
WMD: My school had that happen on 3 different Win2k machines.

Happeneds all the time on my school.

I have to work with the operating system every day (setting up Active Directory, making a connection with some other computer via LPT1 (can't be the host if you're the Domain Controller, weird), playing Lightbikes 2, etc.). One day, it just crashed while starting the desktop. Reinstalled it, and a week later, it crashed again (and all I did was installing the GeForce and Soundblaster drivers).

My classmates think that it's normal that some PC's aren't working because there's a BSOD (yes, Windows 2000), or "NTLDR missing", or just a black screen for ever. I don't think it's normal for an operating system to crash when it didn't even begin to start yet.