Author Topic: Bad FireFox Hole  (Read 3802 times)

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
Re: Bad FireFox Hole
« Reply #30 on: 16 May 2005, 09:50 »
Well, piratePenguin, I hope I never hear you bitching about IE crashing "for no reason" then.

There's a good reason why document.write doesn't work for xhtml, it'd potentially corrupt the document and that just can't be allowed. XML has to be verifiable, and if it can be fucked up during runtime by incompetent webdesigner, it's a bad thing. My friend didn't think of this, as he was trying to write xml table renderer that could sort by any column. Well, you can use xsl to sort stuff, but you can't use xsl to rewrite the page after it's been translated once. I recall he ended up writing a html page with javascript to do the XSLT and rewriting the html page instead. Either way, he seriously tried to write javascript into XSL, and learned it isn't supported. The surprise was that firefox crashes when this unsupported operation is tried.

Anyway, a crash bug is critical, always. It can be exploited to annoy the user to no end, and I'm sure you'd bitch about microsoft if we were discussing an IE crash bug that hasn't been patched for two years.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #31 on: 16 May 2005, 18:06 »
Quote from: muzzy
Well, piratePenguin, I hope I never hear you bitching about IE crashing "for no reason" then.
And if you do?
The fact remains, Firefox has never, ever unexpectedly crashed on me. IE has.

Quote from: muzzy
Anyway, a crash bug is critical, always. It can be exploited to annoy the user to no end, and I'm sure you'd bitch about microsoft if we were discussing an IE crash bug that hasn't been patched for two years.
Yes I know it should be fixed. If it was exploited more often I'd guess it would be fixed quicker (fairly obvious). But obviously it isn't exploited alot and the Firefox dev's don't see it as important as some other stuff. I would doubt many users would care anyhow, I mean it's not crashing on too-many of them (it seems).

And, if MS hadn't patched an IE crash-bug for two years, yea, I'd probably bitch about it. Depending mainly on how often it's exploited (obviously).
« Last Edit: 16 May 2005, 18:53 by piratePenguin »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #32 on: 16 May 2005, 18:29 »
I'm temped to sign up to the mozilla forum and see if I can persuade them to get this fixed, maybe I could pretend to be an Opera fanboy to make it more fun. :D
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: