Author Topic: Create your own language  (Read 3893 times)

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Create your own language
« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2006, 02:32 »
Well they did make something like a graphical programming language for the Lego programmable Lego bot things ... I had one as a kid ... basically the program was visualized as blocks representing loops, if-then statements, timing functions, etc. in a modular fashion, where you decided what you wanted the Lego bot to do when it received an input, and the speed of each of the connected motors .... I wasn't very good at it, my bot smashed itself to pieces after about 2 minutes :D ... luckily it was relatively easy to repair.

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #16 on: 25 January 2006, 09:59 »
Visualising control flow is easy, IDA pro (a dissasembler) has a great tool that can turn any function into a flowchart. Note that an 50 line function would require about 20 printed pages to be legible. and thats just program flow.

what about variables? I suppose you could show data transfer with arrows, the result of a function (functions could have multiple returned values because it doesn't need to fit on a line). Otherwise you need some way of uniquely identifing memory locations...letters are a lot easier.

At the end of the day you will be building something similar to a circuit/IC diagram .... they do those in programming languages now because its so much easier then generate a diagram.

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #17 on: 25 January 2006, 21:41 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Well they did make something like a graphical programming language for the Lego programmable Lego bot things ... I had one as a kid ... basically the program was visualized as blocks representing loops, if-then statements, timing functions, etc. in a modular fashion, where you decided what you wanted the Lego bot to do when it received an input, and the speed of each of the connected motors .... I wasn't very good at it, my bot smashed itself to pieces after about 2 minutes :D ... luckily it was relatively easy to repair.

The Robotics Ivention System. I actually have my RCX here on thre desk lol. That was a good interface though.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

_kill__bill

• VIP
  • Kudos: 355
« Reply #18 on: 26 January 2006, 17:27 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez

It would be like a flowchart language and intead of being a compiler or interpretor the code would be converted to assembly which could be optimized manually (if needed) then assembled.

Yeah. Some company made such a thing (intelitek EasyC, used for competition robotics) and it completely sucked.
It had almost NO functions, NO custom subroutines, worked only ran on WinXP, and only as admin. :mad:

Overall, a graphic editor would be great for noobs, but would never work for complex stuff.
Long Live the Revolution!

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #19 on: 26 January 2006, 18:41 »
Graphical language.... VB
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #20 on: 26 January 2006, 20:23 »
Quote from: Pathos

At the end of the day you will be building something similar to a circuit/IC diagram .... they do those in programming languages now because its so much easier then generate a diagram.

Tell me about it, being an engineer I prefer drawings - much easier to understand than a rat's nest of code.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #21 on: 26 January 2006, 22:40 »
Quote from: _kill__bill
Yeah. Some company made such a thing (intelitek EasyC, used for competition robotics) and it completely sucked.
It had almost NO functions, NO custom subroutines, worked only ran on WinXP, and only as admin. :mad:

Overall, a graphic editor would be great for noobs, but would never work for complex stuff.

But that's only one version. I think a graphic language would be great. I loved the Lego Mindstorms language, I find it similar to C++, actually.