Author Topic: Create your own language  (Read 3891 times)

cheatscanner

• Kudos: 10
Create your own language
« on: 11 May 2005, 02:40 »
Im not that stupid! I mean programming language... that is downloadable... and only those who have the program can decode it and use the programs created by other users of that program, but not able to edit it.

Make one in competition to MS-VB!

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Create your own language
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2005, 12:49 »
It's called XBasic although I haven't tried it.

What programming a languages have you used before?

By the way would some mod move this to programming & networking.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2005, 15:30 »
Moved to Programming & Networking.
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2005, 19:31 »
There's also FreeBasic not an alternative to Visual Basic I know but Microsoft QuickBasic. Who knows may be one day it might form part of a Visual Basic like language if they ever implement GUI support.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2005, 21:39 »
Quote from: cheatscanner
Im not that stupid! I mean programming language... that is downloadable... and only those who have the program can decode it and use the programs created by other users of that program, but not able to edit it.

Make one in competition to MS-VB!

So, what was the original context for this message? Where does it moved from? Because, you know, this doesn't make any damn sense.

"Im not that stupid!" sounds like he's replying to something. What? The continuation is broken, does anyone expect there will be meaningful discussion as a result of something like this?

Also, the specifications for the "language" are gibberish, or just plain wrong. It sounds like he wants a bytecode language, which you can only run if you have the VM application, or any similar design. However, bytecode can be disassembled too, and if there's only one compiler and the bytecode is highlevel, it'll very quickly result in a decompiler being written as well. Well, if a real programmer ever finds the language and feels like writing one, anyway.

So, what's the meaning of "but not able to edit it"? Does it just mean "compiled, not interpreted"? Also, what's the purpose of this all? Competition to VB? Wouldn't all programming languages be in similar position anyway, assuming they were worthwhile, or is the intent to create a programming language targeted for the same people that use VB today?

This post just raises more and more questions, and I have no idea what's the point of any of it. If there is something to discuss here, could mr. cheatscanner please elaborate on the original post?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2005, 22:09 »
muzzy I agree but don't be so hard on newbs - he probably hasn't used anything else accept for Visual Basic.

sjor

• Kudos: 34
    • http://www.mental.co.nr
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2005, 12:38 »
ive used hypertalk, but i think it's dead now.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2005, 17:51 »
I've long wanted to design a programming language which would be completely graphic. Not like Visual Basic, but the language itself would consist entirely of graphic symbols.

I know it's been done before, but I'm thinking more of something like assembling blocks, or a circuit board. The graphics would use SVG, so that it would be possible to both define custom graphics as functions and variables, and be able to program in text mode by typing the SVG graphics manually.

I have some sort of idea of how this would work, but unfortunately I don''t think I could ever write an implementation at this point, as I have little programming skill other than rudimentary concepts of functions and variables.  :(  I don't even know if it would be realistic or even practical.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2005, 20:56 »
I've had a similar idea Laukev7,

It would be like a flowchart language and intead of being a compiler or interpretor the code would be converted to assembly which could be optimized manually (if needed) then assembled.

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2005, 07:33 »
Who cares about implementation? Write a specification, example programs, anything. We can discuss those without need for any kind of implementation to exist

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2005, 10:06 »
This is all talk I'm afraid muzzy, Laukev7 and I never actually plan to make these lanuages as neither of us have sufficient programming experiance. We're just saying "wouldn't if be cool if we could make an all graphical programming language"

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2005, 01:40 »
Quote from: muzzy
Who cares about implementation? Write a specification, example programs, anything. We can discuss those without need for any kind of implementation to exist

Ah, to live in a world where examples aren't active implementations of the specification...

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

solo

• Kudos: 1
    • http://www.komodolinux.org/
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2005, 08:41 »
Although I think SVG would not make the best format for a graphical language, if this lang was done with XML, one could create a XSL converter to convert it to SVG.

So something like this then:
SVG
PNG

(Looking at the SVG shows the zoomability of something like this, aka looking from zoomed out you can read Main and DoWork but you must zoom in to read the function.
Komodoware, moving Linux to your desktop.
http://www.komodoware.com/

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2005, 17:56 »
I think Laukev7's idea is a pretty cool and interesting one. However it sounds very high level, it could be implemented. It would certainly make design simple. However it would be pretty tricky and complex to design I imagine.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #14 on: 23 January 2006, 14:24 »
Quote from: Laukev7
I've long wanted to design a programming language which would be completely graphic. Not like Visual Basic, but the language itself would consist entirely of graphic symbols.

I know it's been done before, but I'm thinking more of something like assembling blocks, or a circuit board. The graphics would use SVG, so that it would be possible to both define custom graphics as functions and variables, and be able to program in text mode by typing the SVG graphics manually.

I have some sort of idea of how this would work, but unfortunately I don''t think I could ever write an implementation at this point, as I have little programming skill other than rudimentary concepts of functions and variables.  :(  I don't even know if it would be realistic or even practical.
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I've had a similar idea Laukev7,

It would be like a flowchart language and intead of being a compiler or interpretor the code would be converted to assembly which could be optimized manually (if needed) then assembled.
I don't think I fully understand what could be achieved with such a language that couldn't be achieved through a powerful (or completely wierd) IDE using C, C++, or any other language. The images that solo posted here, and a flow chart, could, I imagine, be achieved by interpreting a source file of any already-existing language. UPDATE: Hm, maybe you could get like an isometric view of a graphical window, and the button's etc. callbacks are hooked up to functions which you see under the window, but all the toolkits work differently, so that'd be hard to do. EDIT: Or do you mean something like this (from this PDF)?

I agree with solo that should anyone attempt something like what you describe, XML would probably be the best choice (and then you can convert to SVG, etc.). The XML file could also be generated by either an interpreter or that powerful IDE.

There's one pretty cool feature that would probably work with existing stuff but would totally rock with this graphical thing (either with a new language or an IDE): collaboration (Inkscape already has this, with Inkboard). If me and someone else is working on the same file, I could see where they are and what they're at. It could be a 3D world, like croquet.

Holy cow... I can imagine a 3D view of a whole system. Different layers for different groups of software. Linux and ld on the bottom, bash and stuff up from that, then X11, then GNOME, then Firefox and other stuff... And thousands of geeks working away.

Oh, and bug tracking. Bugs appear, when found, where the bug is in the code (when possible).

PS: I honestly hope I didn't step on anybodies toes in reviving an old thread.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2006, 14:57 by piratePenguin »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.