Author Topic: how do i logon as admin with winxp?  (Read 1523 times)

hnugz

• Kudos: 0
how do i logon as admin with winxp?
« on: 18 June 2002, 23:20 »
I tried pressing F8 during the boot process but logon as admin wasn't one of my choices.  How do I logon as admin?  And can I put admin on the logon page?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2002, 23:41 »
maybe Microsoft tech support will be able to help you...  :D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Chooco

« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2002, 02:32 »
aren't you ALWAYS an admin? theres 3 accounts on this machine, only 1 called admin yet all 3 can do the exact same stuff.

hnugz

« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2002, 21:18 »
I know there is a way to log on as an admin that isn't listed at the logon screen.

scenario:  User is logged on as admin.  Users moron friend decides to change the password while drunk.  Drunk friend doesn't remember the password.  User can't log in anymore.

I know that you can log in with the admin account created during installation.  I just don't remember how.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2002, 21:28 »
Well... if you can't do certain things on your guest account, open an application with clicking right on it, select "execute as" in the menu, and type in the administrator password...

And you always have the MS-DOS bootdisk and the FORMAT C:\ keys on your keyboard...

And while your formatting anyway, install a great Linux distribution like my favorite, Lycoris Desktop/LX.

cross

« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2002, 00:47 »
I had a question similar on a different board, here's what the best reply was, I think it will help:

"Been doing some research, and here's what I came up with:

Autoexec.nt isn't used by WinXP. It's used to initialize a DOS-environment: only if you open a DOS-window, autoexec.nt will be loaded. In that autoexec.nt-file, there are a couple of options: it'll probably load a cd-driver (mscdexnt.exe), a soundcard-driver, and the actual DOS-prompt (dosx.exe, also in your system32-directory)...

So, it's basically the same as the autoexec.bat-files on older DOS-system and does NOT affect Windows.

The same goes for Config.nt: just a DOS-initialization file, build up the same way as config.sys files: it'll load dos in your upper memory blocks, and set a files-limit. Again, WinXP is NOT affected by this file.

Window's boot-files are system.ini, win.ini and boot.ini. If you open msconfig (start --> run --> msconfig), you'll notice that you can exclude programs from being started at boot-up, but you can not add programs. You'll need registry-access to do that...

There IS a way to do it, though... Haven't tested it out yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work: Just open msconfig and look at what programs are started at boot-up. Let's say you have a C:\Program Files\Norton\nortonav.exe in there. Now, rename that nortonav.exe to let's say nortonav.bak, copy the program you'd like to see added to c:\Program Files\Norton, and rename it to nortonav.exe.

Don't hack Windows, fool it..."  - Negative

This might help if some one knows the pass and wont give it to you, or changed it and forgot. just make an exe to add users to the admin group, and you'll have admin access.
-cross

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: cross ]

Ctrl Alt Del 123

« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2002, 06:06 »
Press and hold Ctrl, then Alt, then Del. Then release all 3 keys, and repeat. Type in "Administrator" in the dialogue, and the password below it.

Chooco

« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2002, 07:46 »
the only way i know that works is to restart the computer and push F8 a lot and it will ask if you want to log in as Administrator