Author Topic: removing IE6  (Read 1228 times)

cliff taylor

• Kudos: 0
removing IE6
« on: 16 September 2002, 23:48 »
evening all,
   Having been a fan of this site for a while, I've seen the light and am now using Mozilla, which seems OK, and won't (hopefully!) report back to that nice Mr Gates, or keep tracks of my web wanderings and email history. How can I get rid of all aspects of IE6, and will there be any probs once I have. Thanks in advance.....
        Cliff Taylor

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
removing IE6
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2002, 00:05 »
You can't really remove IE...M$ "integrated" it into the OS, and made it inseperable. You are already using Mozilla, so unless you use IE, it can't "listen in" on what you are doing.

The whole OS is against you, though. Unless there is something keeping you from using Linux, I suggest you try it out. You can dual-boot (Have both OSes on the computer at the same time) Linux and Windows, and that is what I reccomend. Visit www.linuxiso.org to download Linux. Browse the forums for discussions on how to install Linux. Here's a good one: http://forum.fuckmicrosoft.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000057

Welcome to Fuckmicrosoft.com!

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: The_Muffin_Man/B0b ]

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
removing IE6
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2002, 00:07 »
format c:

Ha ha, that one's as old as the dales.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

cliff taylor

removing IE6
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2002, 00:40 »
Thanks for the info Bob - I may just give Linux a try. Nice to get a sensible answer, unlike the offering from the cheese salesman...
       Cliff

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
removing IE6
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2002, 00:45 »
cliff without a joke now and again these forums would be hateful and depressing  
Lighten up fellow englishman, you might make these yanks believe the stereotypes!    
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
removing IE6
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2002, 01:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by cliff:
evening all,
   Having been a fan of this site for a while, I've seen the light and am now using Mozilla, which seems OK, and won't (hopefully!) report back to that nice Mr Gates, or keep tracks of my web wanderings and email history. How can I get rid of all aspects of IE6, and will there be any probs once I have. Thanks in advance.....
        Cliff Taylor

Well Cliff, like the others said there's really no way of getting rid of IE6, since M$ did a fine job bundling it with their "OS". There's only an option if you're using XP SP1, where you can hide IE or other M$ software but not remove it. There was a program though (IE eradicator I think) for older IE and Windoze versions, that completely removed IE from a system. Anyway. My suggestion is that you give Linux a try and see if you like it or not
   ;)

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: Pantso ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
removing IE6
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2002, 02:38 »
IEradicator is a custom uninstaller for Internet Exploder.

It is of course slightly unstable, however i assure you it is no more unstable than any other program for windows.

i recommend linux.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

videobruce

removing IE6
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2002, 19:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tux:
format c:

Ha ha, that one's as old as the dales.

That's my favorite DOS command!

I use Opera, but IE still pops up using the help menu in some programs that are written to use IE as a web viewer or to go to their site.

[ September 27, 2002: Message edited by: videobruce ]

pkd_lives

removing IE6
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2002, 21:19 »
Got to the folders file type section in windows and copy the Mozilla link into the open option of the HTML file types, and anywhere else that uses IE. That should prevent it even starting up of it's own accord.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
removing IE6
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2002, 23:24 »
i found that deleting c:/program files/iexplore.exe usually stops that from happening. If you run windows you probably want to use a program such as ieradicator to do this...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

pkd_lives

removing IE6
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2002, 23:33 »
Yeah, that's the way to do it, but it gives errors when trying to open HTML, as it will not default to your new browser (piece of fucking M$ shit..mumble mumble...bastards.. mumble..nothing.... fucking...works... can't.... laid....whorehouse).

I deleted Iexpolde.exe. I don't use Ieradicater because it adds instability when I have just made the most stablising move in removing IE executable, and I don't know if it tries to stuff ad ware or anything in to my computer.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.