Author Topic: Mad as hell, switching to Mac  (Read 1172 times)

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
Mad as hell, switching to Mac
« on: 27 May 2005, 07:50 »
Mad as hell, switching to Mac
By Winn Schwartau, Network World

This is my first column written on a Mac - ever. Maybe I should have done it a long time ago, but I never said I was smart, just obstinate. I was a PC bigot.

But now, I

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
Re: Mad as hell, switching to Mac
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2005, 11:55 »
Awesome article, covered it from many angles, I'll make sure to check for updates on www.securityawareness.blogspot.com ;)

I myself am tired of the platform itself as well (not just windows). I have decided on other platforms than PPC though, so far, I have no pc's left cept a laptop running FreeBSD. I now have four HP-UX workstations and an SGI O2 running IRIX 6.5. I plan on investing in a Tadpole UltraSPARC laptop running Solaris 10 soon. All in all I am very happy with my choice as well. The PC platform is based on cheapness, thats the only reason its currently the only platform running windoze (microsoft wants as much money as they can get).
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2005, 12:21 »
I'm not saying the author's decision was a bad one - using Macs may benefit him and his business greatly, but all in all the article that says very little, and some of his reasons for 'why wintel is doomed to fail' reak of ignorance and/or short-sightedness.

Some of his reasons are just flat out pathetic...

[/b][/i]"When a new operating system or service pack is released, there are tons of changes to the functionality."
[/b][/i]

LOL. This guy is in for a real shocker when he upgrades his macs to the new verion of OSX and some peice of sofyware breaks. Ironically, I read about Tiger breaking VPN software. This guys company is some kind of security consulting company. If they had used Mac's, they would have almost certianly been afected by this.

"WinTel machines use different versions of BIOS[/b] They are not all equal, nor do they all have the same level of compatibility."

[/i]WTF? Oh no! I spent 10 days learning how to navigate the Award bios, and now I have to learn how to navigate this AMI BIOS! My Award bios allows me to change the _xx, and my AMI bios doesn't! What will I do?!

[/b][/i]"Some Windows software applications are well written; others take shortcuts."
[/b][/i]

So, you don't evaluate software before installing on your business' computers? Remind me never to solicit your consulting services.

[/b][/i]"Hardware. There are hundreds of "WinTel-compatible" motherboards, each claiming to be better than the next. Whatever"
[/b][/i]

So you don't like choices? Very typical of a consultant. Here's a hint - ASUS motherboards are the best. It's common knowledge to people who have a clue about the Wintel platform. Intel motherboards you say? Nope. They are just rebranded Asus motherboards.

[/b][/i]"Memory. Not all RAM is equal. Some works well. Cheap stuff doesn
:)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2005, 12:53 »
I hate it how the article suggest that you're stuck to Windows on a WinTel machine (what could be a LinAMD, machine, whatever).