Author Topic: First CPU with DRM lands  (Read 2649 times)

RaZoR1394

• Kudos: 219
    • http://razoreye.mine.nu/
First CPU with DRM lands
« on: 27 May 2005, 18:23 »
It looks like the multicore (double) Intel Pentium-D cpu has been given DRM features. Here's one of the articles:

Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail of controlling copyright through the motherboard has moved a step closer with Intel now embedding digital rights management (DRM) within in its latest dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying 945 chipset. But as well as the much-touted digital rights management hardware, the chips also include systems management features. Officially launched worldwide yesterday, Intel is heavily promoting what it calls "active management technology" (AMT) in the new chips as a major plus for system administrators and enterprise IT. Understood to be a sub-operating system residing in the chip's firmware, AMT will allow administrators to both monitor or control individual machines independent of an operating system.

Additionally, AMT also features what Intel calls "IDE redirection" which will allow administrators to remotely enable, disable or format or configure individual drives and reload operating systems and software from remote locations, again independent of operating systems. Both AMT and IDE control are enabled by a new network interface controller.

"We all know our [operating system] friends don't crash that often, but it does happen," Intel's Australian technical manager Graham Tucker said.

More controversially, the new offerings come DRM-enabled and will, at least in theory, allow copyright holders to prevent unauthorised copying and distribution of copyrighted materials from the motherboard rather than through the operating system as is currently the case.

While Intel steered clear of mentioning the new DRM technology at its Australian launch of the new products, Tucker publicly confirmed that Microsoft-flavoured DRM technology will be a feature of Pentium D and 945.

"[The] 945g [chipset] supports DRM, it helps implement Microsoft's DRM ... but it supports DRM looking forward," Tucker said, adding the DRM technology would not be able to be applied retrospectively to media or files that did not interoperate with the new technology.

However, Tucker ducked questions regarding technical details of how embedded DRM would work, saying that, in the interests of security, it was not in the interests of his company to spell out how the technology works.

The situation presents an interesting dilemma for IT security managers as they may now be beholden to hardware-embedded security over which they have little say, information or control.

Intel's reticence to speak publicly about what lies under the hood of its latest firmware technology has also prompted calls to come clean from IT security experts, including Queensland University of Technology's assistant dean for strategy and innovation, IT faculty, Bill Caelli.

"It's a dual use technology. It's got uses and misuses. Intel has to answer what guarantees it is prepared to give that home users are safe from hackers. Not maybes, guarantees".

Caelli said it was "critical Intel comes clean" about how the current DRM technology is embedded into the new CPU and chipset offering.

Microsoft was unavailable for comment at press time.

LINK

I've read some info about the DRM system but not understood it fully. From what I've understood, newer Microsoft OS's will have a feature called NGSCB inbuilt into the OS which communicates with the DRM chip. Older Microsoft OS's like XP will also get a patch upgrade to enable the feature. Simply it should be nearly impossible to pirate MS's newer OS's as the protection are built in both in kernel and the CPU. Many oher hardware stuff may also get it inbuilt like nics, graphic cards, sound cards etc.

The TCG group says that motherboards should be able to shut down the chip. I don't see why you would wan't to do that though as for ex Longhorn won't boot as it requires DRM and Linux projects like Gentoo will use it for the user's benefits (encryption keys).

I've also heard that Microsoft will demand developers to pay a fee to get their software to run on their DRM OS, wtf?

Well, I run linux so the biggest threat is software patents. DRM may even be a good thing for linux users as it can provide hardware encryption key storage. For Windows users, I would say that's a whole another story.

DVD movies who got DRM protection is another thing I don't understand correctly. Will they require DRM hardware? Should be the case as the protection would lose it feature if you just plop it in for ex your 2 year old dvd player.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2005, 19:25 by RaZoR1394 »

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Re: First CPU with DRM lands
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2005, 19:20 »
Remote disk formatting  :scared:
Contains scenes of mild peril.

RaZoR1394

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2005, 19:31 »
Well just think about it. Both Apple and Microsoft now have all the power they need to just rip out your personal info from your PC/Mac, epecially if your storing it in a DRM enabled app. Shure, It's probably illegal but nothing stops them and you won't be able to prove that they stole anything. Their EULA may also be messed up to allowed such things.

WTF, is happening? Are we loosing freedom totally?

TO THE MODS/ADMINS: You should rename the section topic to TCG, NGSCB and DMCA. TCPA is dead...

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2005, 13:07 »
So, what's the problem with these hardware features, really? I can only see these as a good thing, although I'd prefer a Xen-like approach to virtualizing the hardware and implementing the same functionality in software. The CPU will still need mechanisms to support this, but it'd be simpler and easier to implement.

If you have a problem with this stuff, who's forcing you to use these features? It's your choice.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2005, 17:29 »
Quote from: muzzy
So, what's the problem with these hardware features, really? I can only see these as a good thing, although I'd prefer a Xen-like approach to virtualizing the hardware and implementing the same functionality in software. The CPU will still need mechanisms to support this, but it'd be simpler and easier to implement.

If you have a problem with this stuff, who's forcing you to use these features? It's your choice.

Comprimising the remote disk format would be one hell of a destructive exploit. Presumably it can be turned off.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

muzzy

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2005, 17:58 »
Presumably the damn thing is off BY DEFAULT. That sounds like something server farms will turn on to manage their clusters, not something that home users will EVER have on for ANY reason.

RaZoR1394

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2005, 18:03 »
Yes it can be turned off, but that will only work with older Windows and Mac os's and apps. Linux and BSD will also not require this. Newer proprietary apps and Os's will certainly require this feature as they will need to check licenses of your software etc.

Quote from: "Muzzy"

This heavily compromises privacy. At least the ways that Microsoft will use it for. As I said most apps and Os's will use this feature in the future so you can't just look away from it. GNU/Linux project will use these features for the users benefit like storing password encryption keys not for the companie's. This feature also creates a backdoor to your computer via VPN. Just imagine if a hacker gets inside the system that way.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2005, 18:09 by RaZoR1394 »

muzzy

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2005, 18:38 »
Everyone's spreading FUD about the technology, so where are the FACTS? It's still a trusted client issue, and as of such the local user will be able to breach it, simulate it, etc etc...

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2005, 07:44 »
This doesnt really affect me too much since I am a MIPS, UltraSPARC and RISC in general man now. There is the thing that pisses me off though. This thing would be Microdick getting control over how procs are made. Yea, try telling me they arent involved when you have a format function that prob only formats in MS partition types like ntfs and fatass32.
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

RaZoR1394

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2005, 13:08 »
Specs can be found HERE.

AgainstTCG

You won't find any accurate info on many of the TCG parts. Some of them are heavily classified.

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2005, 18:15 »
I know all of this has some really good uses, but the fact is I do not want anyone else having control over my machine. This is my computer. It will start out as a way to keep me more secure, then it becomes a way to make sure I am not pirating software, and somehow it is to make sure I am only running whatever software deemed "safe", and all of the sudden I no longer control my computer.

Yes, I am paranoid, and I would rather keep Digital Restrictions Management off my computer.

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2005, 18:53 »
This is why I'm sticking with AMD. Intel is in bed with Microsoft anyway.

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2005, 19:13 »
Quote from: e7ement
This is why I'm sticking with AMD. Intel is in bed with Microsoft anyway.
Intel and microsoft both have the exact same strains of all the STDs
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

RaZoR1394

« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2005, 19:37 »
The common problem people make is to blame this new controlled phenomena on the hardware TCG parts, in this case the processors. The TPM module  and the fritz chip (for ex IBM thinkpads) only provides high encryption support. Newer MS os's will require these technologies so It's no deal in shutting the feature down or buying a processor without this feature.

Microsoft are the ones to blame because they've designed NGSCB which abuses  the TCG technology.

For ex Gentoo-trusted will be a project where this tech will be used to control components to be in order like kernel, grub, system files etc. Another example is hardware encryption and so on.

And don't say AMD, HP, IBM etc because they're all in the game. For ex the Athlon X2's may not contain this tech but their next processors most certainly be. It would be a waste to enter the TCG group just for nothing.

TCG is an open standard to be used by anyone has time to code for it and It's generally a good thing specially for companies and paranoid ones. NGSCB is on the other hand pure evil as it blocks you from playing your media files, opening certain documents, download certain content, visit certain sitest etc.
« Last Edit: 1 June 2005, 13:28 by RaZoR1394 »

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2005, 22:50 »
Quote from: Benjamin Franklin (attributed)
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote from: Benjamin Franklin
We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.

'nuff said.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals