Author Topic: Decent Antivirus  (Read 4324 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Decent Antivirus
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2005, 16:24 »
Quote from: skyman8081
BeOS also has no users, support or decent applications.  It's only use is to say "I use BeOS".

BeOS is dead, get over it.

Have you ever used BeOS before?

I haven't but I know these two factors are unrelated to the quality of the operating system, not long ago Linux suffered the same problems.
Quote from: MrX
BeOS is the most secure OS ever. :beos:
apart from my searching on goolge newsgroups for beos virus and vulnerabilities and such, there was none except for some 3rd party programs having various 'bugs' that could be vulnerabilities but where pacthed long ago. beos has no virus, no spyware, etc just pure BeOS.

Who'd ever bother writing a virus for an operating system so few people use?

BeOS could be riddled with exploits for all you and I could know BeOS doesn't have a big enough user base to discover the exploits.

I rule.
That sort of attitude gives people non-mainstream operating system users a bad name. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 30 May 2005, 16:31 by Aloone_Jonez »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2005, 16:28 »
why not just use mozilla/firefox and stop getting viruses and shit installed? I run windows + firefox and I haven't had spywaree/viruses in a very long time.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2005, 16:32 »
Using a limited user account helps a lot too.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2005, 18:38 »
Quote from: e7ement
why not just use mozilla/firefox and stop getting viruses and shit installed? I run windows + firefox and I haven't had spywaree/viruses in a very long time.

firefox has it's share of malware, i'ts creeping in slowly. but surely.

Quote from: skyman8081
BeOS also has no users, support or decent applications. It's only use is to say "I use BeOS".

BeOS is dead, get over it.

we have got lots of little programs. we've got quake I, quake II, and quake III [which ID has locked up in it's labs,and it wont share  :fu: ] it's not that dead. not as dead as windows 3.1 . BeOS is quite useful to me, I use it as my main OS. I even made my banner you see under this.
"I use BeOS" . So there. :beos:

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2005, 18:44 »
wow quake3! It was available on Windows and Mac in 1999. Why BeOS though? Why not *nix which is mainstream alongside macos and windows?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2005, 20:18 »
firefox has it's share of malware, i'ts creeping in slowly. but surely.

This isn't a problem in Linux or Windows XP because you can use limited user accounts to guard against the whole system being infected and a firewall helps too.

we have got lots of little programs. we've got quake I, quake II, and quake III [which ID has locked up in it's labs,and it wont share  :fu: ] it's not that dead. not as dead as windows 3.1 . BeOS is quite useful to me, I use it as my main OS. I even made my banner you see under this.

How about serious software like OpenOffice?

I wouldn't even consider using an operating system that doesn't support a decent office suit.

"I use BeOS" . So there. :beos:

Do you really have to make your posts sound imature with silly childish comments like this? Your post was quite good up to this point.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #21 on: 30 May 2005, 20:36 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
an operating system that doesn't support a decent office suit.
OpenOffice.org desn't support BeOS. NOT the other way around.

Whenever I was in BeOS I believe it had some sort of office suit, I think. It had Abiword anyhow.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 30 May 2005, 20:55 »
Sorry, but you know what I mean.

AbiWord's just a word processor and quite a good one too, but I need a spreadsheet, drawing package ect. and if BeOS doesn't have these then forget about it.

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #23 on: 30 May 2005, 21:10 »
You're looking for Gobe Productive.

Some of its developers are at Apple now; most BeOS developers I used to chat with have either moved to OS X or BSD.

Why someone would bother with BeOS nowadays unless they had a specific task that required it is beyond me, especially since Linux has matured quite nicely.  What's keeping you there, fast boot times?  It's kind of irrelevant since I never shut my computer off now (put it to sleep), and OS X wakes up instantly.  If it's the interface someone has probably themed Linux to resemble/act like it.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 30 May 2005, 22:18 »
bedouin the version you posted hasn't been updated since 2000 and they have some measure of sense as they've moved to Windows/Linux. I couldn't find anything on thier website about BeOS, they have a Linux version but I don't know if it's still maintained, as I can't see why any Linux user would use anything but OpenOffice.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #25 on: 31 May 2005, 00:26 »
Sorry, but you know what I mean.
Indeed I did. I just had to mention it because the "Linux doesn't support (my) X" (where X is any software/hardware) "argument" pisses me off so bad. "Wrong. (Your) X doesn't support GNU/Linux" is my reply (and their reply after that is usually "GNU?").
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #26 on: 31 May 2005, 01:06 »
Indeed. Here in Fredericton, barely anyone has ever heard of Linux. Of the few, none have a clue about GNU. Read: None save my two converts...
[Edit: And YES, I do try to make them say GNU/Linux]

MrX

« Reply #27 on: 31 May 2005, 05:26 »
Do you really have to make your posts sound imature with silly childish comments like this? Your post was quite good up to this point.

yes, I actually do. afterall, you instigated me.

>>Grand Anouncement! <<

beos R5 pro just came in the mail . i ordered it last week. :beos:
here are some songs to pump you up. (from off of the CD !)
bought the CD at www.purplus.com

http://beq2.beworld.info/downloads/I_love_BeOS!MP3.zip [download ME]

and go here to see the new pics http://beq2.beworld.info/pics/?M=D (at the top)
ps- dont use the .bmp if you dont have too.

Mr X

MrX

« Reply #28 on: 31 May 2005, 05:33 »
Quote from: bedouin
Why someone would bother with BeOS nowadays unless they had a specific task that required it is beyond me, especially since Linux has matured quite nicely.  What's keeping you there, fast boot times?  It's kind of irrelevant since I never shut my computer off now (put it to sleep), and OS X wakes up instantly.  If it's the interface someone has probably themed Linux to resemble/act like it.

specific tasks:
download bittorrent stuff. download and playback multimedia a la VLC.
browse the web with firefox.
email with mozilla suite.
play games.

everything a 16 year old needs and everything he doesnt (like openoffice, and good printing suport)

why alot of people still use win98 is beyond me, after all it came out at 98 and it's so dead and obsolete and i think im soo good with my 'new' OS but ohwell this is getting boring me trying to stick up for BeOS. no more, I hope. this thread is waay of topic.

Mr X

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: 31 May 2005, 21:06 »
yes, I actually do. afterall, you instigated me.

How did I provoke your imature behavior? :rolleyes:

>>Grand Anouncement! <<

beos R5 pro just came in the mail . i ordered it last week. :beos:
here are some songs to pump you up. (from off of the CD !)
bought the CD at www.purplus.com

http://beq2.beworld.info/downloads/I_love_BeOS!MP3.zip [download ME]

and go here to see the new pics http://beq2.beworld.info/pics/?M=D (at the top)
ps- dont use the .bmp if you dont have too.

Good for you, I'm glad you've found a non-Microsoft operating system that suits your needs - something I've yet to achieve. :)

specific tasks:
download bittorrent stuff. download and playback multimedia a la VLC.
browse the web with firefox.
email with mozilla suite.
play games.

everything a 16 year old needs and everything he doesnt (like openoffice, and good printing suport)

When I was 16 I was into programming in Qbasic and I couldn't have done any of my school work without an office suit, I used MS Office 97 back then, please just accept people's needs may be different to yours.

why alot of people still use win98 is beyond me, after all it came out at 98 and it's so dead and obsolete

I personally can't see why people use Windows 98, but I suppose they have their reasons like old hardware for example.

and i think im soo good with my 'new' OS

That's just the sort of attitude that's turned so many people here against you. :mad:

but ohwell this is getting boring me trying to stick up for BeOS. no more,

No, please continue, I'm enjoying the discussion. :)

I hope. this thread is waay of topic.

So we're having a discussion about something else more important, the origional topic was rather shitty anyway, don't you think?

In general I don't have a problem with BeOS, I don't know,  I haven't tried it, it could be very good or it could be shit for all I know.

I've said this before; user base isn't always dependent on the quality of any operating  it's dependent on and industry support. Industry support determines the user base while at the same time is dependent on the user base, if very few people use an operating system, then very few developers will produce software for it and very people will use it because it lacks the software they need, the same is very true with hardware and drivers. This vicious circle is very hard to break, Linux is to some extent a victim of this and its user base exceeds BeOS's by an enormous factor, so BeOS may technically be a perfect operating system but it doesn't mean it's a good choice for most people.

I like your new signiture by the way, it's a lot better than the old bloated one. :)