Author Topic: Decent Antivirus  (Read 4322 times)

Giorgi

• Kudos: 58
Decent Antivirus
« on: 28 May 2005, 23:43 »
Hey guys im in research of a good intivirus with a good interface cos im design freak, :)
And good virus detection of course :P
I have Mcafee ATM, i had Kaspersky before but my key ran out
Word is Born
Fight the war
F*ck the Norm!

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Re: Decent Antivirus
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2005, 00:25 »
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Giorgi

• Kudos: 58
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2005, 00:33 »
first time i hear about it, can u give me some info? For windows btw!: D
Word is Born
Fight the war
F*ck the Norm!

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2005, 00:52 »
This mirror was missing from VoidMan's site.

A computer is like any other investment.  If you want to have the best you either have to put the time and effort into customizing it and tweaking it (Linux & other open source alternatives), or just buy a luxury model (Mac).  If you want to drive a 1970s Gremlin (Windows), expect to encounter problems.  Not to mention the ethical dilemma of supporting Microsoft (with funds or not).
« Last Edit: 29 May 2005, 00:58 by bedouin »

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2005, 04:09 »
That's it don't tell him about good Windoze anti-virus as as that'd be offering Winblows support and it'd be against the roolz.

By the way is there any anti-virus software Winbloze that's open-source, surely you're alowed to tell people about that because you're promoting open source otherwise people will just use warez and that's no fucking good at all is it?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

bedouin

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2005, 04:53 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
That's it don't tell him about good Windoze anti-virus as as that'd be offering Winblows support and it'd be against the roolz.

Actually, if I did know I'd probably tell him.  As far as I'm concerned there is no 'good' anti-virus, firewall, spyware removal tool, etc, anymore than there is a 'good' prison, or 'good' car accident.  They're things you shouldn't have to worry about; you should just be able to use your machine, free of protective tools consuming 25% of your resources; Linux and OS X offer that.

I don't know of any 'we don't support Windows rule.'  If someone wants to answer a Windows question be my guest, but I'm not going to waste my time when something else will just get corrupted, broken, or infected the next week.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2005, 05:08 »
Quote from: bedouin
Actually, if I did know I'd probably tell him.  As far as I'm concerned there is no 'good' anti-virus, firewall, spyware removal tool, etc, anymore than there is a 'good' prison, or 'good' car accident.  They're things you shouldn't have to worry about; you should just be able to use your machine, free of protective tools consuming 25% of your resources; Linux and OS X offer that.

Only beacuse they're not the most popular, why would anyone bother to write a Linux/Mac OX virus? :rolleyes:

Oh sorry, I forgot Windows uses root access, but not if you're sensible like me and only use a restricted user account under SP2 which has a built in firewall and use FireFox you'll be ok 99.99% of the time. :)

I don't know of any 'we don't support Windows rule.'  If someone wants to answer a Windows question be my guest, but I'm not going to waste my time when something else will just get corrupted, broken, or infected the next week.

What the fuck, look at the forum rules then.

Do not post troll posts. Troll posts include:
request to fix a specific Microsoft product

:rolleyes:
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

bedouin

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2005, 05:18 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Only beacuse they're not the most popular, why would anyone bother to write a Linux/Mac OX virus? :rolleyes:

If there was a diversified OS market there would be less viruses and trojans because it would be too difficult to target one population.  I'm encouraging that.  The whole "OS X, Linux, BSD" is less popular, so it's not compromised as much argument is weak in the first place, but I'll let someone else attack that.

What the fuck, look at the forum rules then.

There are no rules except, A) no spam, B) no flooding, C) no illegal activity.  Learn it, live it, love it.

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2005, 05:50 »
the best one is Anti-Vir http://free-av.de it is freeware also.

don't be such a complainer, you 'people'

Mr X

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2005, 07:22 »
There are no rules except, A) no spam, B) no flooding, C) no illegal activity.  Learn it, live it, love it.

And what, pray tell, do you define those as?

The current rules are just that, within a more rigid definition that fits the forum culture.

"I'll know it if I see it" is a very dangerous definition, because it means that a mod or admin could twist those loosely defined rules to fit whatever they want them to, this makes mod bullying easier, not harder.

I won't love it.

But this discussion deserves its own thread, instead of clogging this one.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2005, 11:45 »
If there was a diversified OS market there would be less viruses and trojans because it would be too difficult to target one population.  I'm encouraging that.  The whole "OS X, Linux, BSD" is less popular, so it's not compromised as much argument is weak in the first place, but I'll let someone else attack that.

Well I'll attack it myself,
I've heard all the arguments that UNIX (whether it be Linux BSD or OS X) is more/less secure than Windows. The Internet is packed with articles suggesting either case, my personal view is BSD is the most secure operating system around as almost everyone using it knows what their doing. Windows will be the worst as it has the most uneducated userbase, anyone who's made the switch to an alternative will be more educated than the average Windows user. In general security comes down to the user more than anything else.

Quote from: skyman8081

But this discussion deserves its own thread, instead of clogging this one.

I'm sorry for mentioning the forum rules, indeed it should be against the rules to mention the rules unless the thread is about the rules. One very annoying thing about this forum is that the discussion of the rules seems to crop up too often and hijack threads.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2005, 23:32 »
good job i haven't posted anything here yet, or we'd have to wade through 3 pages of retaliation flames/spam!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2005, 00:21 »
BeOS is the most secure OS ever. :beos:
apart from my searching on goolge newsgroups for beos virus and vulnerabilities and such, there was none except for some 3rd party programs having various 'bugs' that could be vulnerabilities but where pacthed long ago. beos has no virus, no spyware, etc just pure BeOS. i rule.

Mr X

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2005, 00:30 »
BeOS also has no users, support or decent applications.  It's only use is to say "I use BeOS".

BeOS is dead, get over it.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2005, 15:32 »
Once/if GNU/Hurd is ready it quite probably will be the most secure OS.
Because it tries to do everything perfectly, and that means using the least amount of privileges possible.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.