Author Topic: Apple to switch to intel chips in 2006  (Read 4073 times)

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
Re: Apple to switch to intel chips in 2006
« Reply #30 on: 6 June 2005, 21:39 »
Quote from: toadlife
He's probably lying. I bet the performance will be horrid when running through the emulator.

Performance was not horrible when Apple switched from 68k to PowerPC, maybe this time around it will not be so bad either.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #31 on: 6 June 2005, 21:45 »
Quote from: M51DPS
Performance was not horrible when Apple switched from 68k to PowerPC, maybe this time around it will not be so bad either.

68k = CISC
PPC = RISC
x86 = CISC (essentially)

CISC-on-RISC is easy.  RISC-on-CISC isn't.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #32 on: 6 June 2005, 22:25 »
Quote from: M51DPS
what is the point of using x86 if people cannot use commodity PC's? I thought the point was removing the issue of "overpriced hardware" even more than what they are trying with the Mac mini.
I guess because OEMs would be selling PCs with Mac OS X and Apple would probably lose out. And then drivers might be a problem too, I think.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #33 on: 6 June 2005, 22:56 »
Just because it was demoed on a vanilla x86 machine doesn't mean Apple will go with ordinary off the shelf x86 chips.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #34 on: 7 June 2005, 03:00 »
Quote from: WMD
Jobs demonstrated a P4 3.6GHz machine running OS X.  So, yeah, x86.

I can understand going to Intel chips.  I'm wondering why they didn't go with the Itanium2 architecture instead of x86.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #35 on: 7 June 2005, 03:26 »
Quote from: toadlife
He's probably lying. I bet the performance will be horrid when running through the emulator.

Just watched the video...they demoed the emulator using MS Office 2004.  It was obviously slower than native, but it wasn't *slow*.  This was with a P4 3.6.

BTW, this is odd.  For those who watch the video...is it just me, or does the P4 system Steve uses seem faster/more responsive than the G5s? :scared:
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #36 on: 7 June 2005, 15:45 »
Maybe it is faster and more responsive, when it comes out benchmarks will prevail.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/07/technology/07apple.html?th&emc=th

It is really starting to float around the media.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org

TB

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #38 on: 8 June 2005, 19:42 »
Quote from: bedouin
Just because it was demoed on a vanilla x86 machine doesn't mean Apple will go with ordinary off the shelf x86 chips.

I agree. I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to Apple hardware, but based on my (somewhat) limited knowledge I'd say that Apple wouldn't do away with AltiVec so quickly. Plus you don't have to be a noob to know that Apple has always wanted people to buy their hardware.

My (rather uneducated) guess is that the next generation of Apple hardware will probably be x86 "tricked out" with AltiVec (or some new juice that Apple's been working on secretly)......it's definately not going to be "vanilla x86". And you know what.....this prospect actually excites me. My overriding concern is that Intel will want to include its filthy DRM in these new chips. I guess my idea of a perfect computer would be an Apple running on AMD chips....I suppose with some hacking it maybe viable to run Mac OS X on an Athlon 64 system.

The next question is this - now that Jobs has admitted that he's had an Intel version of Mac OS X up his sleeve for 5 years, will he make it widely available? Personally, I seriously doubt it. Even if he did, Microsoft's proprietary APIs would still make Apple/Windows compatability a pain in the ass (unless MS releases Windows for Apples). However, it seems that the barriers between the two platforms are (slowly) vanishing, which can only mean good things for Apple.
« Last Edit: 8 June 2005, 21:34 by TB »

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #39 on: 9 June 2005, 02:52 »
I saw some details on Mac Rumors (yes, real details) people might want to see:

Xlr8yourmac.com provides some detailed comments from one of the developers at WWDC describing the current development Intel-Mac which currently features a 3.6GHz Pentium 4.

Minor highlights:

• "the thing is fast". All iLife apps are already universal binaries
  • Pentium 4 660 at 3.6GHz, but will not be used in the shipping product (of course, since the high end Intel-Mac is 2 years away)
  • DDR-2 RAM at 533. SATA-2.
  • Presently uses the Intel GMA 900 integrated graphics chip set which supports Quartz Extreme.
  • Regular video cards will be supported, but need drivers
  • No Open Firmware. Uses Phoenix BIOS.

Major highlights:

• "They run Windows fine. All the chipset is standard Intel stuff, so you can download drivers and run XP - on the box."
  • Game devs optimistic. "They look forward to the day they don't have to support PPC."
  • Cell and AMD were evaluated. Cell not intended for PCs; AMD with supply constraints.

Photos of the Intel PowerMac at WWDC.

Note: It is impossible to tell if final shipping Intel Macs will share features common with this development Mac.... there has been suggestions that the final Intel-Macs will not simply be PC Bios/Motherboards. We'll have to wait and see...

There goes my prediction about Apple sticking with Open Firmware.... why would they switch to Phoenix?

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #40 on: 9 June 2005, 03:03 »
Price, Price, Price.

They want to compete with PC's on price. I guess they are banking on the hope that people will buy their box for the kick-ass OS with killer app support that comes with it.

I really don't think it will work, but you never know.
:)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #41 on: 11 June 2005, 00:59 »
I don't believe this, if Apple really do this it wiil be to their demise, most PC user would rather run Windows I don't see how they can make any money from this.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #42 on: 11 June 2005, 05:21 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I don't believe this, if Apple really do this it wiil be to their demise, most PC user would rather run Windows I don't see how they can make any money from this.

It's easy; Consumers will see a bigger number in front of Ghz, see a familiar name 'Intel', have all the advantages they have heard about MAC, will have faster/cooler/64-bit laptops for added performance, AND the chips will probably cost Apple less than IBM's PPC.

I'm starting to see apple's way

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #43 on: 19 June 2005, 08:49 »
If I was apple I would be going for AMD64, but im not a retard.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #44 on: 2 July 2005, 08:37 »
its ibm's fault......apple was one of there last hopes to stomp MS into the ground. then agian, apple might be trying a new trick, one that ms never pulled off, remember how the old winnt could boot on almost anything? x86, mips, alpha, ppc, and sparc i think? imagine if osx got that kinda multiplatform support, and did it correctly. different processers do different things well, intel chips are great at throughing integers around. alpha used to be able to beat anyting in its path down with its floating point ability. mips is cheap and easy to engineer your own solution and depending on how its built, can be one of the fastest procs out there. sparc is good for throughing data around. and powerpc is my prefered proccessor these days.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!