Author Topic: Apple to switch to intel chips in 2006  (Read 4075 times)

ksym

• Kudos: 30
Re: Apple to switch to intel chips in 2006
« Reply #45 on: 8 July 2005, 13:55 »
Kinda sucks.

If Mac OS would be to move into PC-architectures, that
would mean Linux would lose it's credibility as a
desktop OS.

I mean, Mac OS has a perfect standard for distributing
binary packages. And of course, it has the base of a BSD
Unix system. Closed software vendors would instantly
abandon Linux for Mac OS = goodbye Linux for big
enterprises.

That would mean that we Linux users couldn't get any COOL
games for our platform anymore. Sucks.

Oh well, life sucks, and so do all Operating Systems, as do
the people who make them -- Neo-Zen Wisdom
People are stupid.
So: All Operating Systems suck because the people who make them are mostly retards.
-- My piece of Neo-Zen Wisdom

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #46 on: 8 July 2005, 21:46 »
Dude...have you read the thread?  Just because Apple is moving to x86, doesn't mean you can take OS X and run it on any old PC.  Nothing is changing - Apple software will only run on Apple hardware.  Just that the hardware isn't the same as before.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #47 on: 8 July 2005, 22:51 »
I'm sure it'll be cracked or something... Someone will find a way.

It would be damn easy for Apple to sell Mac OS X to PC OEMs, even if they do lose alot of money from hardware sales, and need to build some extra drivers. MS would shit their pants.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #48 on: 8 July 2005, 23:03 »
Even if they do crack it...who will write the drivers?  Certainly not Apple.  I mean, look how long it's taken to come up with a decent selection of Linux drivers.  By the time there's any number of OS X drivers, there'll be too much new stuff.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #49 on: 8 July 2005, 23:06 »
Even if Apple sell OS-X as an option to PC OEMS, Microsoft will do the same thing they did to PC OEMS trying to sell Linux as an option. Microsoft don't shit their pants, they never shit their pants, they just get there giant marketshare foot and kick competition in the arse with it. And don't worry about Antitrust. Microsoft have already turned the USA into a facist state, they control all the resources. Thats the problem with capitalism, it allows the resources and hence the power to flow into the hands of anybody, hence eliminating democracy. This will not change for at least 20 years, and only if people decide to stand up. Given the arrogance of the average american in thinking their facist state is the most advanced democracy in the world, nothing is going to change soon.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #50 on: 8 July 2005, 23:20 »
Yea I guess yas are right (to an extent, kintaro :p).
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #51 on: 10 July 2005, 20:41 »
Quote from: WMD
Even if they do crack it...who will write the drivers?  Certainly not Apple.  I mean, look how long it's taken to come up with a decent selection of Linux drivers.  By the time there's any number of OS X drivers, there'll be too much new stuff.

Look at how many drivers there are for linux. Now, how many of them are from OEM's?

When (*not* if) Mac OS X is cracked for non-apple hardware, drivers *will* be available. It is only a matter of time until people write them

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger