Author Topic: You guys are all right  (Read 1146 times)

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
You guys are all right
« on: 4 June 2005, 10:23 »
As most of you know, I don't exactly follow the partly line in these forums, but while most of you disagree with me most of the time, you guys generally keep things civil, and bring a decent amount of knowlege to the table. All of this leads to good discussion, which is why I have stuck around.

I wanted to take the time to point out the danger of blind advocacy (e.g. fanatacism/zealotry). Blind advocacy makes people stupid. It makes people rude. It can cause people to become ignorant of anything outside of the little perfect world that they advocate. If too many people in a movement fall into this trap, the movement as a whole suffers, a clusterfuck of ignorance ensues, kool-aid gets drunk, and bad things happen.

An example of blind advocacy gone bad... http://forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?t=170098
:)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: You guys are all right
« Reply #1 on: 5 June 2005, 04:05 »
You're not too bad yourself, I think you're a good member as you're objective and can understand more than one side of an arguement.

There are some real zealots on that forum, I've noticed you've been there since Setpember 2003 and only made 45 posts. I can accept (and I'm sure you can too) that people's personal experiance will differ, like you said X.org takes 200MB on your system, well so it only takes 11MB on mine but what a zealot will fail to see is you and I have different software running on different hardware and  this is the reason why I don't use my personal experiances in discussions unless someone else does first. Facts are far more powerful than opinions and personal experiances and the zealots won't see them because their love for their OS is blind. I rest my case Windows fanboys can be brainwashed by their OS just as much as Linux zeaots.

Sorry for the long rant by the way.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #2 on: 5 June 2005, 06:52 »
/offtopic. you play americas army? (by the way, the unreal 2.4 engine rocks on america's army)

toadlife

« Reply #3 on: 5 June 2005, 07:20 »
Yeah, unfortunetely the linux version of 2.4 is not out yet. Also, my motherboard took a dump a few hours ago while I was moving some fans around! I've had that motherboard in three different cases, so I guess all that handling of it caught up to me. :(

It was an ASUS A7V333. I'm going to buy replace it with an ASUS A7V8X. It an old-ass architecture, so it's only $47.00. :(

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #4 on: 5 June 2005, 07:22 »
but while most of you disagree with me most of the time,

What, that FreeBSD is a good OS?  Hardly. ;)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

toadlife

« Reply #5 on: 5 June 2005, 07:43 »
Quote from: WMD
What, that FreeBSD is a good OS?  Hardly. ;)

Apparently. It didn't save my motherboard from dying. According to the fucks over at the americasarmy forums, if I would have been running linux, my motherboard wouldn't have died, and americas army would run 10x faster than it does in Windows, all while doing my taxes, and discovering 10 new prime numbers in the background.:p

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #6 on: 5 June 2005, 09:32 »
Quote from: toadlife
According to the fucks over at the americasarmy forums, if I would have been running linux, my motherboard wouldn't have died, and americas army would run 10x faster than it does in Windows, all while doing my taxes, and discovering 10 new prime numbers in the background.:p

I won't deny that latter half, but with that first half I believe you've discovered the Linux zealots that give Linux zealots like us a bad name.  Windows causes static discharge?  Yeah, next we'll hear that Office causes cancer.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #7 on: 5 June 2005, 14:09 »
Quote from: Orethrius
I won't deny that latter half, but with that first half I believe you've discovered the Linux zealots that give Linux zealots like us a bad name.  Windows causes static discharge?  Yeah, next we'll hear that Office causes cancer.

I don't know which will be more shocking
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #8 on: 5 June 2005, 19:42 »
Quote from: Orethrius

I think he was running FreeBSD when it broke, not Windows.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #9 on: 6 June 2005, 00:57 »
Quote from: Annorax
I don't know which will be more shocking

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals