Author Topic: Intel or AMD  (Read 4688 times)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Intel or AMD
« on: 9 June 2005, 03:46 »
Intel or AMD
sig.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Re: Intel or AMD
« Reply #1 on: 9 June 2005, 04:31 »
Hardware section.

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #2 on: 9 June 2005, 04:36 »
Depends...

Intel - Better than AMD at Encoding, Rendering, and something else I forgot
AMD - Better than Intel at Gaming

in everything else they are about the same...but AMD comes cheaper (and I'm not talking about CPU + Cheap Mobo, I'm talking about CPU + Good mobo)

You're choice, AMD does come cheaper...even though prices are getting close. If you're planning to overclock I'd also suggest AMD.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #3 on: 9 June 2005, 05:03 »
Intel simply because of Apple :(

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #4 on: 9 June 2005, 06:04 »
I buy Intel because I like their chipsets, and because my dad owns stock in them. ;)

A neat Intel thing to try, is to get a Pentium M and then either one of the microATX desktop boards for them, or the P4 to PM converter that someone puts out...I forget who.  The M is really awesome.  You'll pay a lot for that, though.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #5 on: 9 June 2005, 07:33 »
I used to say Intel, now I say neither. 64-bit RISC all the way, CISC is stupid. I like SGI MIPS myself.
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #6 on: 9 June 2005, 12:32 »
Ever since the k6 days I've use AMD. I made the mistake of buying a PIII 500 machine in 1999, and was really pissed when 6 months later I built an AMD Athoon 750 machine and it benchmarked *twice* as fast as the PIII 500 intel machine. I don't encode video for a living, so Intel's 5-10% advantage in this area is irrelevant to me.

Tomshardware did a little head to head and found that AMD's new dual core processors are better at many multimedia tasks (where intel used to beat AMD) than Intels dual core processors. Intel's dual core procs also suck up 200 Watts of power jsut sitting still, and uo to 310 watts when under load. AMD's dual core chips take 125 to 190 watts of power.

Yes, I am an AMD fanboy. :p
:)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #7 on: 9 June 2005, 15:19 »
I've got an AMD Sempron at the moment. AMD's are fast, and the nForce chipset that come on most AMD-able motherboards is simply the best chipset (got neat Linux drivers too).

Installing an AMD is somewhat more difficult than Intel, because of the fragile core on top, but the advantages of AMD outweigh that issue.

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #8 on: 9 June 2005, 16:50 »
Quote from: Refalm
I've got an AMD Sempron at the moment. AMD's are fast, and the nForce chipset that come on most AMD-able motherboards is simply the best chipset (got neat Linux drivers too).

Installing an AMD is somewhat more difficult than Intel, because of the fragile core on top, but the advantages of AMD outweigh that issue.

AMDs rule!!!

but semprons are crappy comapred to xp athlon
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #9 on: 9 June 2005, 19:02 »
Quote from: solemnwarning
AMDs rule!!!

but semprons are crappy comapred to xp athlon

Although they have a small cache, it's pretty much acceptable, Games play great.

I compensated the Sempron with quality RAM and a good videocard.

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #10 on: 9 June 2005, 20:40 »
Semprons are great for their purpose....general computing. And they are cheap.
:)

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #11 on: 9 June 2005, 21:20 »
Quote from: toadlife
Semprons are great for their purpose....general computing. And they are cheap.

Cheap as chips!
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #12 on: 9 June 2005, 21:28 »
I like AMD my self. At tomshardware they are doing a strestest. here is the link http://www.tomshardware.com/stresstest/index.html . Also tomshardware got a sempron 3100 to get about 70+ FPS on doom 3 and when overclocked to 2.16 GHz it got a little over 80 FPS. Here is the other link http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050202/index.html
sig.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #13 on: 9 June 2005, 21:51 »
And for another point of view: How do the two companies support FLOSS?
I had the impression Intel is not a friend... (eg in open BIOS)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #14 on: 10 June 2005, 05:59 »
Quote from: Jenda
And for another point of view: How do the two companies support FLOSS?
I had the impression Intel is not a friend... (eg in open BIOS)

Intel has supported open source on things ranging from graphics to chipsets to Centrino to CPUs.  Intel has also put a lot of money into the Linux Defense Fund.  Look it up on Google.

Also, here is an excerpt from Intel's web page

Does Intel support Open Source?
Intel has been involved with Open Source projects for a long time and intends to continue contributing to the Open Source community supporting our PC platforms, as our customers indicate the need. Intel has recently made significant financial investments into external companies involved with Linux and is developing technologies that will be adopted by IA64, which will be contributed to the Open Source community. This driver is an example of our support for the Desktop PC segment.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....