Author Topic: A linux that is easy to install?  (Read 1347 times)

AsceNd

• Kudos: 10
A linux that is easy to install?
« on: 17 June 2005, 08:57 »
Hey guys i have been trying to get a linux OS onto my computer on my second HDD but none of them ever seem to work? I do what the install readme says but they never work... Can someone recommend a easy to install linux?

-Malcolm
C:\Australia\Adelaide_

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: A linux that is easy to install?
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2005, 12:07 »
I've been hearing lots of good stuff about Ubuntu, maybe you outha check that out :)

Tell me, what distributions did you try before and why did they fail?

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2005, 22:41 »
Yes, Ubuntu's install is very easy.

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2005, 04:35 »
Install? somewhat. harder than any windows installation. easy if you have instructions. to use? hard. harder than windows or mac, if you want to do more than just bare basics in a gui.

And we all know that BeOS is the easiest to install and use, but since it's not 'up to date' as much as I'd like it to it's only an OS for those who care about it.

Mr X

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2005, 14:39 »
for an easy simple pc distro: http://fedora.redhat.com
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2005, 15:20 »
I wouldn't recommend Fedora, when I tried it, it was VERY slow, way too many services running, but ever since I installed Slackware 10.1, the installation was FAR easier than other linux distros I have tried (Mandrake, SuSE, Fedora, Debian) and I was up into my system in no time, the only downside I guess for new linux users is the fact that you don't go straight into X at startup, although that can be fixed if you learn a few commands and how to edit config files using vi....

Also I think KDE is a huge waste of time to use, it runs way too slow, it's too much of a memory/cpu hog, that's why I decided to use Fluxbox/WindowMaker instead :thumbup:

edisav

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2005, 20:40 »
I'd suggest Mandrake. The install will do everything for you. It will even take care of the double booting if you have windoze installed. If you can, read a little about partitioning; if not, Mandrake will give you suggesitons. Good distro for beginners. (K)Ubuntu looks beautiful but I had a hell of a experience installing it, so I reverted beck to Mandrake. Ubuntu may have great after-install support but install itself, zero.....but I may be wrong.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2005, 21:12 »
Quote from: edisav
I'd suggest Mandrake. The install will do everything for you. It will even take care of the double booting if you have windoze installed. If you can, read a little about partitioning; if not, Mandrake will give you suggesitons. Good distro for beginners. (K)Ubuntu looks beautiful but I had a hell of a experience installing it, so I reverted beck to Mandrake. Ubuntu may have great after-install support but install itself, zero.....but I may be wrong.

I must say I disagree. Ubuntu, although not graphically, installed nopro, and even detected Win2k and took care of partitioning. Much better experience than mdk.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2005, 21:30 »
I can backup Jenda, my experience on Mandrake was horrible, it ended up annoying me so much I felt like throwing my monitor out of the window, that's how badly made Mandrake is, Slackware also takes care of dual booting but the partition help isn't there, I know it might not be that easy for new users, but if they are prepared to learn a bit about partitioning and package managing, they'll be fine installing Slackware.

If I had to recommend a good distro for people who are new to Linux, I'd have to say Red Hat Linux 9, it's the distro I first started on, and I found it very easy to use, I still like it and would consider using it again at any time.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2005, 08:40 »
I think Fedora Core 4 would be a good start, but if your a whineing pussy, dont use it, because whineing pussys dont like it. Real men however quite enjoy it. However I am so sick of people who are mentally retarded crapping on about its problems (which are really their mistakes) that I hardly want to suggest it and just keep it to myself.