Author Topic: A glowing review of Windows XP  (Read 1287 times)

slave

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
A glowing review of Windows XP
« on: 13 June 2002, 07:59 »
http://www.epinions.com/content_49552789124

quote:
A WORTHY UPGRADE AT LAST!
by hm8080 | Dec 13 '01
Pros: Extra security features, very fast, stable.
Cons: None so far.
The Bottom Line: Worth every penny spent on it, fast and very stable with loads of features for the advanced and intermediate home/business computer user.
Recommended: Yes

The verdict is in!
I LOVE Windows XP! Yes! Finally, a final release of Microsoft Windows operating system that I actually cannot find much (if any at all!) faults with! There are already many great reviews of this new OS here on Epinions.com that I

iustitia

« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2002, 08:22 »
I'd like everyone to know that this reviewer has never reviewed any other os but M$ ones.  That essentially makes all his points invalid because he essentially has nothing but M$ OS (which are bad to begin w/) to which he can compare Win2k.  Of course I think win2k is an improvement over re-starting my pc every time an app goes down as in win9x.  And of course I would prefer not to have re-install my OS every time my computer goes bezerk.  M$ Windows is becoming more secure because it is becoming more like *nix if you ask me.  They even have process managment and a sort of su-like thing now, and NTFS to protect files according to users.

Also I would like it to be noticed that the
reviewer has done a review which totally bashes MSN. (sounds more like logic)
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have found the trillionth easily preventable bug in a Microsoft OS.  You have just won the privlage of being frustrated with an over priced, unreliable OS that makes you conform to its standards.  How does that make you feel?

Chooco

« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2002, 21:05 »
well it's sort of true, if you MUST MUST stay with Winblows then at least use XP, it's really good compared to other Winblows systems and it's not as subjectable to viruses (worms). my apache log has tons of entries of worms trying to access cmd.exe in the winnt folder, WinXP does not have a winnt folder, it has a Windows folder.....it's safer *wink* *wink*
it's also pretty easy to use....it sure does have a lot of bloat though  :(  (on WinXP right now)

iustitia

« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2002, 21:15 »
Also one other thing.  The website to which I was refered by XPluser is a website expressing different opionions about various products.  One thing I noticed upon closer inspection.  For xp pro, 83% of reviewers recommended XP pro.  

95% of reviewers of Mandrake recomended Mandrake.  93% of people reviewing Solaris recommended Solaris. 89% of people reviewing RedHat recomended RedHat. 88% of people reviewing OS X recommended OS X.

Now just to be fair and unbias, I would have to say that other windows products had been recommdnded by 95%, 91%, and 90% by users of 2k serv, XP pro, and 2k pro, respectivily. But just Hear me out:

I won't even count people that were using XP home, because that's mostly a pc illiterate population.  Also, most of these reviewers have never tried another OS, and they don't know about all the spyware, bloatware, and middleware that makes the software horrible.

On the issue of the linux distros, there were people that didn't recommend the OS.  However, once I took a look at the not recommended reviews, I noticed that people weren't comparing the OS to M$ windows.  People that did not recommend linux recommended instead slackware, or BSD.  It would be the logical conclusion that linux reviewers dis-liked the OS because they had seen so many alternatives, while the Windows reviewers had just the opposite problem.  Anyone will find XP as a huge improvment over any other M$ Windows system.

-Justice

p.s. edit: I'm on XP pro right now too!  In my defence, I am a bit of a linux newb and I haven't copiled the new release of gs to work w/ my printer.  Gotta use Acrobat.

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: iustitia ]

You have found the trillionth easily preventable bug in a Microsoft OS.  You have just won the privlage of being frustrated with an over priced, unreliable OS that makes you conform to its standards.  How does that make you feel?

iustitia

« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2002, 21:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chooco:
my apache log has tons of entries of worms trying to access cmd.exe in the winnt folder, WinXP does not have a winnt folder, it has a Windows folder.....it's safer *wink* *wink*

Well geeze, that's easy to fix, in fact, Windows makes it easy by giving access to the registry.  Find the SYSROOT folder there.

-Justice

Chooco

« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2002, 13:08 »
if you want to see a SUPER BIAS opinion, buy that magazine call PC world or something like that....i saw some of the awards and i nearly cried. the best hardware of the year was the router from Linksys i bought...what a piece of crap, it can't detect the IP, the clone mac adress doesn't work and it disconnects and resets every 4 days! what a joke! the best OS was Win2k Pro, best office software was OfficeXP and so on....super bias.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2002, 20:48 »
i was going to say that, PC World are quite vocal in their support of linux (in Australia anyway) so they don't really deserve a slagging...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Chooco

« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2002, 08:59 »
are you guys absolutely sure? the awards they gave were complete BS such as best router being the one that i have which does not work and the best video card was made by ATI.....keep in mind that ATI has terrible drivers for windows and they have no graphics acceleration support for Linux