Author Topic: Windows Update  (Read 1449 times)

agentzmith

• Kudos: 0
Windows Update
« on: 25 May 2003, 04:48 »
I went to Windows Update the other day-I don`t think I was spoofed because I went from the Windows OS-not from a false email.Downloaded the new v4 software..Then I downloaded false corrupt code and hard to destroy viruses.There were new strange processes running in the background..I`m sure it was the genuine site.Why would Microsoft do this? This is outrageous.Aren`t they just supposed to give us spyware.If they think my legal registered OS isn`t genuine,why let me update at all?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Windows Update
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2003, 15:28 »
No you're wrong. It's perfectly legal for Microsoft to install spyware on your computer.
It's also perfectly legal for Microsoft to take over your computer.

It's best to reinstall Windows and NEVER use Windows Update again. If you're using Windows XP, you might be interested in this program.

If you're tired of Windows, like I am, download Mandrake Linux or Red Hat Linux. My personal choice is Mandrake Linux, because it kick ass  

[ May 25, 2003: Message edited by: Refalm ]

agentzmith

Windows Update
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2003, 05:47 »
Yeah,I suppose you`re right.So much for the privacy laws which Bill Clinton passed years ago!It seems Windows isn`t secure,(I`ve still been hacked),despite the so-called security updates they keep posting on the Update site.How secure is Linux? What`s the quality of the software like?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Windows Update
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2003, 14:42 »
Linux has better security built in than Windows. The security has a better quality than any known firewall for Windows.

It's easy to use, and compatible with a lot of file extensions. They only issue are games. A game like Grand Theft Auto Vice City can be played in Linux, however it's buggy. I suggest you try it first, keep it for a week and throw it off if ou don't like it (very unlikely).

agentzmith

Windows Update
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2003, 03:36 »
Yeah..O.K.Thanks for the advice.You just might convert me yet.But anything`s better than the trouble I`m having lately.Life on the net never used to be like this...

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Windows Update
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2003, 03:48 »
feh, you should do what I did.

I have win98SE, which I use only to play games. It get's online, but only using Mozilla. Then I have Linux installed on another partition. I use Linux for everything else, I feel safer, it's more stable, and a hell of alot more fun.

Then again, you could get the ultimate upgrade and get a Mac running OSX!

OS X is the best OS in the world IMHO. It can run pretty much all linux applications, UNIX applications, Mac Applications, Windows applications (slowly thrugh an emulator), and it gets native support from many big named Apps. M$ Office (yech!), Adobe, Macromedia, etc.

The Mac is the best platform in the world. There are NO viruses, and the securety is top notch. That is my REAL suggestion, get a Mac  :D

hehhe.... but if you don't. Get Linux at least.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Kupotek

• http://kupotek.dyndns.org
Windows Update
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2003, 08:38 »
Some people actually install Linux on macs but I don't mind darwin.
"The only thing that is impossible is the possibility of impossibility" KittySafe Ntwrk.

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
Windows Update
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2003, 00:16 »
It usually makes sense to install Linux only on Macs that don't support OS X. That's what I'm trying to do right now . . .

agentzmith

Windows Update
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2003, 07:28 »
Yeah,thanx for that,guys.Anyway I`ve heard somebody`s trying to revive BeOS.What did you think of that?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Windows Update
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2003, 13:59 »
it will take a very long time for them to do it, and IF they can get a stable kernel going, then it will be an incredible system. For the foreseeable future though OpenBeOS is the best vapourware to not come out in the 21st century so far.

a note about linux' security. Linux has excellent security by default (and none of the major distros have any spyware in them whatsoever) but of course no system is ever totally secure. You will still need to keep your system up to date, mandrake and red hat (among others) make this quite easy in various ways, and of course updates for linux tend to come out much sooner after a vulnerability is discovered than updates for windows.

So what i am saying is, moving to linux will make your computer much more secure, and will keep microsoft from spying on you in two ways 1) it will no longer be legal for them to spy on you and 2) you will no longer be running any microsoft software.

You'll probably still want to read up on *ix security at your leisure once you have got used to using linux though. there's always room for some improvement in your security configuration.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Visentinel

Windows Update
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2003, 17:20 »
yeh the URL you got takin to would not have been the proper V4 site  

Anyways to make sure you dont get in trouble like that, only use the windows update link under tools in IE or the link in the start menu.

the proper url is http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com