Author Topic: Phoenix Bios or Windows ME?  (Read 1124 times)

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
Phoenix Bios or Windows ME?
« on: 5 November 2003, 05:17 »
Recently, I changed the num-lock setting for boot in the Phoenix Bios setup screen (for an e-machines computer if it matters), finding after I saved my settings and rebooted, windows no longer worked.

Here's the message i'm getting (BSOD):
Windows Protection Error. Please Restart Your Computer. System Haulted.

Is this a Microsoft Windows ME problem, or some sort of issue with the CMOS?

I am aware this isn't tech support, but I don't understand how a change in the num-lock configuration would make an operating system unusable..

Edit: This computer isn't mine, and I'm assuming the owner will be quite mad when they find they can't boot into Windows.

[ November 04, 2003: Message edited by: anphanax ]

theangelofdeath69

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.kaltemartech.com/
« Reply #1 on: 5 November 2003, 06:00 »
Of course it's a problem with Windows ME. Why are you even using that crap?  Windows ME barely handles booting correctly, it sure as hell isn't going to handle you changing something as well
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
« Reply #2 on: 5 November 2003, 06:38 »
DUDE, I said it wasn't my computer...

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #3 on: 5 November 2003, 21:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by anphanax:
DUDE, I said it wasn't my computer...

then why are you messing with the bios settings?

change numlock back to off perhaps?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #4 on: 5 November 2003, 15:33 »
quote:
anphanax: This computer isn't mine, and I'm assuming the owner will be quite mad when they find they can't boot into Windows.

I always tell then that their computer could get fucked when they let me on it. They usually let me use their computer dispite that, because they can always use mine and I help them with their computer.

BouncingAyatollah

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.bouncingayatollah.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 5 November 2003, 17:21 »
I had that once for no apparent reason, oh yeah I deigned to go to Display Properties WHILE the system was still loading things to the Systen Tray and it froze LOL! I just started up in Safe Mode (F8 here, if you have a BIOS function on F8 do that, then quickly keep tapping F8 after exiting to get to the Safe Mode startup menu). I explicitly set the screen mode to Safe-Mode-alike, and restarted. When I got back in I changed the display properties back.

So if you can get into Safe Mode just restart from there and see if that "magically" fixes it. If not Safe Mode again and see if you can then hit the BIOS next restart and change the setting back.
The cheese would have to be subatomic size before quantum cheese effects would take over -- and then it wouldn't be identifiable as cheese any longer.