Author Topic: CD-Rs or CD-RWs  (Read 1720 times)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
CD-Rs or CD-RWs
« on: 4 August 2005, 16:53 »
Wich do you prefer, CD-Rs or CD-RWs?
sig.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: CD-Rs or CD-RWs
« Reply #1 on: 4 August 2005, 17:34 »
CD-R's for my old CD player, which doesn't like CD-RW's.

For all other stuff, CD-RW's.

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #2 on: 4 August 2005, 20:03 »
CD-R's
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #3 on: 5 August 2005, 00:06 »
CD-Rs.
Haven't ever used a CD-RW.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #4 on: 5 August 2005, 00:38 »
Whatever is cheaper and most portable - CDRs tend to be more reliable in various optical devices, such as home cd players, car cd players, CD-RW drives, DVD-RW drives, and others.

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: 5 August 2005, 03:37 »
CD-RWs are better. you can write them 1000 times. CD-Rs only once. and they if you screw up, it's garbage. what a waste! buy 1000 CD-Rs for one CD-RW, which is only about the price of 4-6 CD-Rs ? That's what I thought. be smart, butter tart.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #6 on: 5 August 2005, 07:47 »
Quote from: MrX
CD-RWs are better. you can write them 1000 times. CD-Rs only once. and they if you screw up, it's garbage. what a waste! buy 1000 CD-Rs for one CD-RW, which is only about the price of 4-6 CD-Rs ? That's what I thought. be smart, butter tart.

Seriously, did you just pull that number fresh from your ass?  CD-Rs are infinitely cheaper than CD-RWs, and it has more to do with market dynamics than technological standards.  What's a couple coasters to have a disc that runs on ANYTHING made in the past decade (whereas CD-RW makes no such guarantee)?  ;)

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #7 on: 5 August 2005, 15:50 »
You are wrong, isometimes use cd-rw:

if i burn a music cd-r i cant copy it to my xbox (illeagle disk apparently)

if i burn a music cd-rw it isnt checked for copy protection by xbox
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #8 on: 6 August 2005, 11:32 »
CD-R, Most of the stuff I download I want to keep a permanent copy of.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #9 on: 7 August 2005, 01:51 »
they use different technologies, up to a point. to me, cdrs are more (seemingly) stable and sensible, also i can get them to work. plus, why would you want to wipe a CD once you had used it? you're either doing a backup (which you won't want to wipe) or your copying something for somebody.

i've always used cdrs and haven't ever needed to use cdrws so, why should i change?
i will look into dvdrs too sometime, but again, don't see the point for me personally of using dvdrws if such a thing exists.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2010, 11:43 »
Megabump.

Who uses CDs these days when there are DVDs and USB sticks?

I do because I find my CD burner is more reliable.

I use RW-CDs for Linux (I've never tried a bootable USB stick and don't even know if my BIOS supports it) and don't use CD-Rs much.

I can see the advantage of both technologies. I don't know how compatible DVD-RWs are with modern DVD players?

This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

reactosguy

• Kudos: 2
    • Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2010, 16:09 »
Wich do you prefer, CD-Rs or CD-RWs?

Neither. I'd go with DVDs and flash memory USBs. The former has a large capacity, while the latter is easy to get in your pocket.

I'd also go with Blu-ray Discs, but they aren't compatible with my old hardware.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #12 on: 26 September 2010, 22:30 »
The question was asked in 2005, and I said I never used a cd-rw and that still applies (if it happens that I did, it wasn't my disk and I never re-wrote anything).

DVDs and usb keys and memory sticks and online data are becoming that we often don't need to have a cd/dvd drive. Many notebooks I'm interested in don't even have cd/dvd drives. That technology will stick around, for sure reasons, but many many people haven't used their mechanical drives in years, on computers for now.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #13 on: 27 September 2010, 11:35 »
I use CD-RWs with my CD-Js fairly often.  If I'm using a set of discs for just one set there's no sense in wasting CD-Rs.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #14 on: 27 September 2010, 12:24 »
they use different technologies, up to a point. to me, cdrs are more (seemingly) stable and sensible, also i can get them to work. plus, why would you want to wipe a CD once you had used it? you're either doing a backup (which you won't want to wipe)
CD-Rs are not stable, if they're not correctly stored, the data can become corrupt over time.

For long term storage, you should always use a hard drive, a flash drive is also good but there are concerns about the data not lasting for ever.

I frequently erase backups because the data becomes out of date and replaced by modifications.

For backup, I don't see how capacity of a DVD is a problem, unless you make your own films or have taken thousands of photos. All of the large files I have are pretty dispensable and are only backed up because downloading them again would be a pain. Come to think of it, the amount of irreplaceable data I have (i.e. created by me or someone else) is probably under 1GB.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: