Author Topic: Vista means you need new monitors!  (Read 1603 times)

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
Vista means you need new monitors!
« on: 4 August 2005, 19:40 »

Microsoft Vista  means you need new monitors  

Vista doesn't like most monitors

By Nick Farrell:
Wednesday 03 August 2005, 07:33

EVERYTIME Microsoft releases a new version of its operating system, someone points out that it will involve the wholesale scrapping of existing hardware.  Going through the specs of Vista it looks like you will not only probably need a new PC, but it will be time to splash out on a new monitor too.

According to a US tech consultant Stephen Speicher, Vista will make protected digital content all fuzzy unless it is viewed on high bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) compatible monitor.

He said that the number of people whose display is equipped with HDCP are so rare that it would take a special distributed screen saver to find them.

The missing technology is Protected Video Path - Output Protection Management and while it is a de facto standard for display copy-protection in televisions, so far it has not made much of an impact in the computer display market.

Amongst those that will not have it are the people who spent shedloads impressing their friends with their new Dell UltraSharp super sexy 2405FPW widescreen display.

Source - http://theinq.net/?article=25094

This is just stupid, I won't be upgrading. :fu:
« Last Edit: 4 August 2005, 20:03 by Refalm »

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Re: Vista means you need new monitors!
« Reply #1 on: 4 August 2005, 19:46 »
you can use a regular moniter as long as you dont watch digtal content
sig.

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #2 on: 4 August 2005, 19:52 »
Quote from: Put_lead_in_gates_head
you can use a regular moniter as long as you dont watch digtal content

Who doesn't watch digital content? You might as well use some non-mainstream OS... Not being able to watch digital content is one less oppertunity. :thumbdwn:

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #3 on: 4 August 2005, 20:52 »
Well, I am already watching more than enough digital content, with no problems.

I almost think this ought to go in the DMCA forum, because that's all this is - a content protection system.  Designed to protect the masses from watching anything not stamped with Microsoft's approval.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #4 on: 4 August 2005, 21:24 »
All these protecting systems still won't stop people from cloning DVD's (unless Microsoft protects Vista against content copying).

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 4 August 2005, 21:35 »
Watching fuzzy DVDs that sounds fun
sig.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #6 on: 4 August 2005, 21:47 »
Quote from: worker201
I almost think this ought to go in the DMCA forum, because that's all this is - a content protection system.  Designed to protect the masses from watching anything not stamped with Microsoft's approval.

Ok, done.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

DavidB

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.freedomware.us/
« Reply #7 on: 4 August 2005, 21:53 »
Gee, I wonder if Windows-Longhorn-Vista-VirusMagnet2010 will require suckers - er, customers - to buy a new house, sold by Paul Allen Real Estate.
Bill Gates & George W. Bush = America's Greatest Traitors (Freedomware and Jail4Bush)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 4 August 2005, 21:59 »
Probably
sig.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 4 August 2005, 22:05 »
Quote from: DavidB
Gee, I wonder if Windows-Longhorn-Vista-VirusMagnet2010 will require suckers - er, customers - to buy a new house, sold by Paul Allen Real Estate.

I remember i saw something about a virus for it here
sig.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #10 on: 7 August 2005, 04:39 »
I'm so sick of this *&$%.  It's my $%^*ing computer, not the RIAA's, not the MPAA's, not Microsoft's.  Screw that.

Remember when MS wrote their OS to take advantage of the hardware being produced?  Now they dictate to the hardware manufacturers what they must put in.  

The whole point of the PC platform was that it was an open architecture and lots of vendors could compete.  This is just bull#$%^.  MS is going to kill the PC.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #11 on: 7 August 2005, 05:46 »
Quote from: mobrien_12
The whole point of the PC platform was that it was an open architecture and lots of vendors could compete.

The PC wasn't even an open architecture to begin with.  You don't see Intel giving out the specs to x86, do you?  And IBM clones didn't start due to openness - they were reverse engineered (or, eventually, licensed), as a lot of stuff still is.

Commodity architecture, yes, but not open.  It appears there might have been an evil plan like this all along.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez