Author Topic: Adobe vs Microsoft  (Read 1591 times)

DavidB

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.freedomware.us/
Adobe vs Microsoft
« on: 8 August 2005, 10:02 »
It looks like Adobe's purchase of Macromedia (maker of the popular Dreamweaver and Flash) may bring it into increased competition with Microsoft, as I predicted some time ago. Not that it takes a rocket scientist to make such a prediciton, but there were certain people on the Dreamweaver forum who thought I was full of it.

This could get interesting. Incidentally, I've always wondered why Microsoft never went after Dreamweaver the way it has gone after other competitors. Apparently, Microsoft's FrontPage is more popular, but Dreamweaver is still a powerful contender.

Certain observations I've made on the Dreamweaver forum led me to suspect that the two corporations had signed some sort of pact. Now that Dreamweaver has a new owner, I wonder whether the competition might increase.

In the meantime, I learned recently that there's a (new?) open source web design software program that may rival Dreamweaver.

God, I hope all of this works in Bill Gates' favor - NOT. I love competition. :)

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/235686_adobe08.html
Bill Gates & George W. Bush = America's Greatest Traitors (Freedomware and Jail4Bush)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: Adobe vs Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: 8 August 2005, 17:34 »
I can remember news messages that Microsoft was interested in Macromedia too.

I hope that the people who made Flash etc. aren't fucked with by Adobe.
But I don't see any problem here, if they where taken over by Microsoft, it probably would have been a lot worse.

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: 8 August 2005, 19:00 »
lol Frontpage is not a competitor to Dreamweaver.
They are in totally seperate markets.

As for the Open Source developer ... NVU :)
It's great. Started out as Mozilla's Composer, look at it now.
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #3 on: 8 August 2005, 19:03 »
I would've thought they were. They both do very much the same thing. Unless.. Would I be right in saying that newbies use Frontpage and professionals use Dreamweaver? I'm only thinking that 'cause I've seen so many shit websites designed in Frontpage..

NVU looks brilliant. Haven't used it though 'cause it's Qt (and I don't have/use Qt). And the only Qt app I'd love to be Gtk+.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #4 on: 8 August 2005, 19:22 »
Frontpage is the scourge of the internet. Alng with IE. And MS Windows...

DavidB

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.freedomware.us/
« Reply #5 on: 8 August 2005, 20:14 »
Quote from: Lord C
They are in totally seperate markets.

As for the Open Source developer ... NVU :)
It's great. Started out as Mozilla's Composer, look at it now.

Right, Dreamweaver appeals to pros, while FrontPage is the first choice for high school students. But don't you think M$ would like to capture the professional market?
Bill Gates & George W. Bush = America's Greatest Traitors (Freedomware and Jail4Bush)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #6 on: 8 August 2005, 21:26 »
Bah!  I use vi to write webpages!

(and sometimes bluefish)

:lol:

But I still like Flash's drawing tools.  I hope they don't make some kind of Flash CS bloatware, that allows you to build Flash Word documents.  The "creating Word documents with Illustrator" feature bugged the shit out of me.

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2005, 01:42 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
I would've thought they were. They both do very much the same thing. Unless.. Would I be right in saying that newbies use Frontpage and professionals use Dreamweaver? I'm only thinking that 'cause I've seen so many shit websites designed in Frontpage..

Yes, FP is for newbies and DW is for pros.
Making them totally different markets, and not compeititors.
The prices also show this.

Quote from: piratePenguin
NVU looks brilliant. Haven't used it though 'cause it's Qt (and I don't have/use Qt). And the only Qt app I'd love to be Gtk+.

Indeed it is very nice. But I'm still hooked on Dreamweaver atm :)

Quote from: DavidB
Right, Dreamweaver appeals to pros, while FrontPage is the first choice for high school students. But don't you think M$ would like to capture the professional market?

They are not aiming at the pro market.
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2005, 03:35 »
FrontPage doesn't run on OS X, so it can never be a real contender.

The other reason it doesn't matter is I don't give a shit about it, so fuck it.
Go the fuck ~

Commander

• Kudos: 52
« Reply #9 on: 11 August 2005, 23:46 »
dreamweaver is great.  I can still use it, thanks to crossover.
My only concern at this point is that will adobe fuck it up?  and knowing adobe, the answer will probably be yes.
Ballmer needs a firm kick in the ass.... (since he has no balls)