Author Topic: FireFox losing market share  (Read 3887 times)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
FireFox losing market share
« on: 15 August 2005, 17:05 »
Firefox's market share slipped last month for the first time since the alternative browser began its battle to offer a popular alternative to Microsoft's ubiqitous Internet Explorer software. This consistent growth suffered a set-back when Firefox fell back from 8.71 per cent market share in June to 8.07 per cent in July, acording to web analytics firm NetApplications. Over the same period Microsoft's share rose from 86.56 per cent in June to 87.2 per cent in July, so Firefox's loss was Microsoft's gain.

NO!! How could this off hapened? lets hope the firefox will regain market share. Full Story Here
sig.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
Re: FireFox losing market share
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2005, 18:28 »
It's not that big of a loss, Firefox is still winning. ;)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2005, 19:11 »
I think it'll get worse when IE 7 comes out as people will have less reasons to switch to Firefox. I hope Firefox fights back by adding some new features like a decent download manager and zoom tool.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2005, 19:15 »
like a download manager that support multiple conections
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2005, 19:20 »
And be able to pause and resume the download after restarting Firefox or after a connection or power failure.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2005, 19:26 »
ya, i had alot of power failure last night because of a storm. It was anoyin to kepp havin to re-download something
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2005, 19:39 »
Yeah, when I used to be on ntl dialup the connection used to terminate once ever 2 hours so I installed a separate download manager but it didn't work very well with Firefox. Now I'm on broadband I don't bother and it's be even better if the download manager was integrated into FireFox.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2005, 19:43 »
ya i got cable to but, i download lots of 600-700 Meg things so its gets really anoyin to re-download
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2005, 20:07 »
This kinda implies a lot of people are deleting firefox from their computers.  Why?

MarathoN

« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2005, 20:36 »
I haven't. :)

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050511 (Firefox 1.0.4)

And it still rocks. :D

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2005, 20:39 »
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050720 Fedora/1.0.6-1.1.fc4 Firefox/1.0.6

I wonder what percentage of that loss is going to Konqueror and Opera?

MarathoN

« Reply #11 on: 15 August 2005, 20:40 »
Heh, I've updated to 1.0.6 in Windows.

Couldn't be bothered in Linux though. ;)

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2005, 02:36 »
The lack of a decent download manager is a major gripe with me, too. I bought iGetter, but you can use it for free if you wish. I've downloaded 80MB files on dialup with iGetter without a glitch. One ftp I went for had to restart over 100 times because the server kept dropping me, but I got it all intact.

Sometimes Firefox and iGetter together make a good team, although you don't need to "integrate" it into the browser. Sometimes Firefox won't save a file, but if it can stream the file and then iGetter is called to the same file, together they will stream and save at the same time.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2005, 09:08 »
Quote from: worker201
This kinda implies a lot of people are deleting firefox from their computers.  Why?

I doubt this is the case maybe some people have stopped using Firfox because they've discovered it won't work on some webpages but I think the rest is to do with less people adopting it in the first place. These statistics just show percentages so the number of Firefox users could be stable but because more people in the world are getting computers the new computer users could just be using IE.

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2005, 16:54 »
What's wrong with the download manager? I like it just the way it is, personally.

I've noticed that some people, when they come to staples to buy a new computer, beleive that they should use what comes with their computer, even if they do not understand that IE on a new HP is no better than IE on their 6-month-old HP. They may have used firefox because someone told them to, but they typically think that new stuff is perfect.

I know for a fact that firefox usage is increasing very rapidly near me. Every fellow electronics employee at Staples is now using Firefox, and I stress the importance of Firefox to as many people as it would affect. I'm even getting fellow employees to spread it like i have the last 10 months.

Firefox will have a hard time overcoming IE if it is not bundled with the computers that people buy. Some are just too lazy to go and download the browser. I write down the website for dozens of people a day (and the regular customers usually come back for other various things, and affirm that they are using (and love) firefox), but some are even adimately opposed to not using a microsoft product. that is what scares me.

(for those who are interested: Last Nov. there were few people who heard of firefox. around April/May, many have heard of it, and lately many say that they downloaded it, but just haven't used it yet. I encourage them to start using it. [this may explain the high download rate and lowering usershare])

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger