Author Topic: Free Opera, No More Registration Bullshit  (Read 2588 times)

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
Free Opera, No More Registration Bullshit
« on: 20 September 2005, 09:39 »
http://my.opera.com/community/

Opera's all free as of version 8.5. Now the reason for teh free keys is that much clearer...
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
Re: Free Opera, No More Registration Bullshit
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2005, 10:07 »
I said fuck yeah!
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2005, 13:25 »
[GNU_fanboy]Yes it may be free (as in beer) but it's not trully free, I'll never use Opera because it still sucks as it's still proprietary $oftwarez.[/GNU_fanboy]
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2005, 16:05 »
I'm not sure how Opera is being financed in that way, but Opera has been my browser of choice for like 6 months now! It's amazing!

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2005, 18:33 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
[GNU_fanboy]Yes it may be free (as in beer) but it's not trully free, I'll never use Opera because it still sucks as it's still proprietary $oftwarez.[/GNU_fanboy]

You couldn't just wait for PiratePenguin to stop by? :p
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2005, 19:24 »
No, the opera developers suck.

And I'll never use Opera as far as I can see, because it's a grand total of zero inconvenience points to use Firefox instead.

Quote from: WMD
You couldn't just wait for PiratePenguin to stop by?
Well, I wouldn't have said a word.

Thank you Aloone_Jonez, for inviting me to this thread. Now we can have a nice civil ten page long flame.

I'll speak for myself in future. :fu:
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2005, 19:33 »
I'll continue to use Firefox, just because.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2005, 22:10 »
Yeah, I'm currently using Firefox again after formatting.

I prefer to have the best of both though. :)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2005, 22:17 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
No, the opera developers suck.

Yes, of course they suck for being so fucking evil and keeping their precious source code that they've invested for themselves.

And I'll never use Opera as far as I can see, because it's a grand total of zero inconvenience points to use Firefox instead.

Urm inconvenience points ay? You're obviously not very good at spotting these, I hop I can help you as I can think of many of these:

(1) No decent download manager.
(2) No zoom.
(3) No saving of sessions.
(4) Slower.
(5) Higher memeory and resource usage.

I could think of more but these are the bigest inconvenience points.

Quote from: WMD
You couldn't just wait for PiratePenguin to stop by? :p

Well, I wouldn't have said a word.

Thank you Aloone_Jonez, for inviting me to this thread. Now we can have a nice civil ten page long flame.

I'll speak for myself in future. :fu:

Well technically I didn't invite you, but none the less thank you WMD and piratePenguin for complementing me on the quality of my impression. :thumbup:
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2005, 22:37 »
Yes, of course they suck for being so fucking evil and keeping their precious source code that they've invested for themselves.
Quite right.
Urm inconvenience points ay? You're obviously not very good at spotting these, I hop I can help you as I can think of many of these:

(1) No decent download manager.
(2) No zoom.
(3) No saving of sessions.
(4) Slower.
(5) Higher memeory and resource usage.

I could think of more but these are the bigest inconvenience points.
(1) The download manager does me rightly.
(2) How inconvenient!
(3) Wrong.
(4) I've always found it very fast. I'm using Firefox 1.5 beta 1 ATM and it's even faster than 1.0.6 was at rendering.
(5) I've never had any problems with memory or resources, even with my 256mb RAM.

Does this mean that alot of GNU/Linux distributions will be shipping with Opera? Are they allowd to now?
Well technically I didn't invite you, but none the less thank you WMD and piratePenguin for complementing me on the quality of my impression. :thumbup:
I think everybody got it.
Top notch stuff.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2005, 23:01 »
Quite right.

Well that's the only bad thing about the developers, in fact the Opera developers are more skill innovative being able to pack more features into a smaller package, while all the Mozilla team try to do is copy them.

(1) The download manager does me rightly.

But too bad when the Internet connection fails or there's a power cut and you loose your download.

(2) How inconvenient!

It is when you're running 1600x1200 and you view a page designed for 800x600.

(3) Wrong.

How do you do this in Firefox then?

(4) I've always found it very fast. I'm using Firefox 1.5 beta 1 ATM and it's even faster than 1.0.6 was at rendering.

I haven't tried the new beta, I might though, just to see if it still sucks just as much.

(5) I've never had any problems with memory or resources, even with my 256mb RAM.

Neither have I with Opera and this is with 248MB and I'm running Windows XP which as you know is a lot heavier than Slackware.

Does this mean that alot of GNU/Linux distributions will be shipping with Opera? Are they allowd to now?

If they obide with the terms of the licence I don't see any reason why not, and I hope they do start to distribute Opera.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2005, 23:35 »
But too bad when the Internet connection fails or there's a power cut and you loose your download.
Yea, too bad.
There's always the mighty wget. I used to use it for downloading big files on dialup.
How do you do this in Firefox then?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/SessionSaver
I haven't tried the new beta, I might though, just to see if it still sucks just as much.
What sucks about Firefox then?
If they obide with the terms of the licence
That's what I'm asking: does the licence allow it.
I don't see any reason why not, and I hope they do start to distribute Opera.
Alot of them will. And alot of them won't (of which a subset (e.g. Ubuntu) will refuse it simply because it's not free software (then again it'll probably end up in a non-free Ubuntu/Debian repository), and others because it's hardley worth it.).

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2005, 23:40 »
It took me a crazy long time, but I finally found a copy of the Opera EULA.

Just so you know:
You shall not modify, translate, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software or any part thereof or otherwise attempt to derive source code or create derivative works therefrom.

You are not allowed to remove, alter or destroy any proprietary, trademark or copyright markings or notices placed upon or contained with the Software.

Thanks, I'll stick with Mozilla-based browsers.

As far as dropping Opera into a Linux distro, doubtful.  Many distros will not include anything that is not GPL-ed - remember X11?  Also, my understanding is that if installing your Linux requires you to agree to a license (for example SuSE), then Opera can't be included, since:
You may not sell, rent, lease or sublicense the Software, without the explicit written consent of Opera Software ASA.
(bold mine)
So don't bet on it.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #13 on: 20 September 2005, 23:46 »
Proprietary does not equal evil.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2005, 23:55 »
Quote from: xyle_one
Proprietary does not equal evil.

Of course not.  Opera is good software.  But I am Mozilla, and that's all there is to it.  I was pointing out the source-specific parts of the EULA so that Aloone_Jonez and PiratePenguin can go at it.

By the way, finding the Opera EULA at all was a pain in the ass.  Finding a copy of the Windows EULA is hard too.  But on GPL programs, it is easy - not to mention that the license is on the web to browse as well.  You would think it would be the other way around.