Author Topic: A Word Of Warning Regaring Virtual PC  (Read 1731 times)

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
A Word Of Warning Regaring Virtual PC
« on: 26 September 2005, 06:49 »
It might be a little bit extra "work" to use something like QEMU or Bochs, but you might consider it.

I've noticed when I went from a "Trial Version" of VPC to the "Standard Edition" (I got it for free, legally too), that although my Windows 3.1 VPC image worked fine, my "Damn Small Linux" and "ReactOS 0.2.5" images were broken somehow. Good came out of it, since I learned 0.2.7 of ReactOS was out, but still.

Just a warning to people, that stuff breaks way too easily in VPC. It might have a nice "point-and-click" interface, but if upgrading from VPC 2004 Trial Edition to VPC 2004 Standard Edition breaks some of your images, it's not worth it.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: A Word Of Warning Regaring Virtual PC
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2005, 09:58 »
It's Microsoft software do we need to say anything more, it's a shame there're no MS supporters like muzzy and Viper around at the moment to give thier opinion.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2005, 08:38 »
Why anyone would run that shit when there is VMware, which is 358673094573x better, I have no idea.

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2005, 10:23 »
i like vmware, its fast and really easy to use. and once the guest OS is running, it doesnt bog down the host too much. well, that may just be my cpu, but its still pretty good.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2005, 12:49 »
I use Virtual PC 6, it's the last non-M$ version. No VMWare on OS X (yet...)
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2005, 02:16 »
Quote from: kintaro
Why anyone would run that shit when there is VMware, which is 358673094573x better, I have no idea.

VMware only virtualizes the x86 CPU.  Virtual PC emulates an x86 for the Mac users.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #6 on: 1 October 2005, 23:24 »
VMWare is better on x86 because it doesn't translate. VPC on PCs still "emulates", therefore losing a lot of the speed that VMWare gets.
Go the fuck ~

Jack2000

« Reply #7 on: 3 October 2005, 18:26 »
Yo people i have been trying for some time now to
get VMWare runing on an win98 :) so in isnt!
what am i doing wrong i seem to can not find ANY info on that program
and a good version too pls help :) i want to
get my FreeOs scills up and going before I install a second HDD Part.
for Linux

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #8 on: 9 October 2005, 20:43 »
Quote from: WMD
VMware only virtualizes the x86 CPU.  Virtual PC emulates an x86 for the Mac users.

I know this already.

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #9 on: 9 October 2005, 23:37 »
The only vpc 6.01 Linux that I can get to work on my eMac is Dynebolic, it even gets out through networking DHCP to the web on the OS X operated built-in Motorola SM56 dialup modem. Knoppix and Ubuntu pc versions had video issues once they were up and running. They looked fine until runtime, then the screen was either distorted or black and white.

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2005, 07:04 »
Quote from: hm_murdock
VMWare is better on x86 because it doesn't translate. VPC on PCs still "emulates", therefore losing a lot of the speed that VMWare gets.

I don't think this is true. VMWare still emulates an X86 chip - It HAS to to share it with multiple OS's. It's just very effecient.
:)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #11 on: 11 October 2005, 22:49 »
All VMware does is send the instructions verbatim from the virtual CPU to the real one, with some overhead from having to keep the OSs separated.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #12 on: 12 October 2005, 01:12 »
Quote from: WMD
All VMware does is send the instructions verbatim from the virtual CPU to the real one, with some overhead from having to keep the OSs separated.

I have no direct experience with VMWare myself, but we are going to be using it soon at work. We had a little "webinar" with HP, on VMWare where we went over VMWare extensively. THe overhead issue is one of the first questions we asked and they said that the overhead is usally very low can be an issue if too many OS's are being shared at the same time, or multiple OS's are trying to take up large amounts of CPU time.

Is is really a suprise to you guys that Microsoft's version is slower? ;)
:)