Author Topic: Another Linux Distro (screenshots)  (Read 4257 times)

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
Another Linux Distro (screenshots)
« on: 29 September 2005, 13:01 »
I'm developing Flying Chair Linux.

It's based on Slax, we use Windowmaker as a window manager. It looks very cool so far. I'll do some screenshots soon. It has firefox, emacs and X-Chat installed. More apps to come.

I threw out irssi because it needs perl. I threw out links2 because it doesn't want to render to X in graphics mode.

Here's the isolinux bootscreen:

I'll upload more screenshots later. And maybe even a download link.

Oh, and if you wonder why it's called "Flying Chair Linux", think Steve Ballmer.

And I didn't make the graphic in paint, I made it in photoshop. It has to be 16 colours for isolinux to display it  :(
« Last Edit: 23 October 2005, 11:17 by themacuser »
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Re: Another Linux Distro
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2005, 23:07 »
That graphic is terrible :(

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2005, 23:23 »
What about package management?
Website?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2005, 00:18 »
Quote from: xyle_one

I agree it looks like something from game written in qbasic. :thumbdwn: wow this is very impressive! :rolleyes:
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2005, 01:27 »
how much can you do with 16 colors?
sig.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2005, 02:13 »
Quote from: xyle_one

Actually, I think the point is that it DOES looks like something computers could draw 20 years ago.  Ever hear of "so bad, it's good?"
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #6 on: 1 October 2005, 03:15 »
I think the boot screen is awesome.

I suggest you make sure it has perl, anything without perl really sucks. Everything uses perl, perl is awesome. Hell, even most minimal distro's have perl. Except those single floppy distros.

What is your aim with flying chair?

themacuser

« Reply #7 on: 1 October 2005, 04:37 »
The flying chair is to annoy Steve Ballmer.

The aim is to have a small, light, easy to modify distro that looks l33t, and can be used on stupid people's windows machines :P (it's a livecd)

OOps, I removed perl when I got rid of irssi... :S

I'll put it back then, and kill X-Chat.

As for pakage managment, it uses the slax managment system for livecds. Download a slackware tgz file, run tgz2mo on it, and then remaster the CD with that package in the main, packages or optional directory. Very simple.

Yet another edit:
Quote from: Lead Head

Yeah, stupid isolinux only gives us 16 colours. Should i not use pixel shading on the glass? Would that make it look better? We can only have 16 colours, but we can have any 16 in the world we want.
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #8 on: 2 October 2005, 20:10 »
If the biggest worry for this distro is the boot screen, I can already see it is going knowhere.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #9 on: 2 October 2005, 21:17 »
Quote from: Lead Head

The Windows 3.x bootscreens used only 16 colours and they looked much better than this.

Apart from the crap boot screen what's differant about this distro? What separates it from the 1000s of other distros out there?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Firefoxfanphill

• Kudos: 17
« Reply #10 on: 2 October 2005, 21:53 »
Is this another one of those "I'm leet I hacked linux lolomfg omfg lolroflf hax0r 1337" crap? I mean, are you going to work on it for a week or two then go, ok, I'm bored and walk away?
Can't you go bug fix or submit patches or at least, not release this Linux distribution on the web.

God I hate how their so many of them, it makes people not want to use Linux it seems...

[Sorry For the rather harsh reply]

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #11 on: 2 October 2005, 21:57 »
Quote from: Firefoxfanphill
Is this another one of those "I'm leet I hacked linux lolomfg omfg lolroflf hax0r 1337" crap? I mean, are you going to work on it for a week or two then go, ok, I'm bored and walk away?
Can't you go bug fix or submit patches or at least, not release this Linux distribution on the web.

God I hate how their so many of them, it makes people not want to use Linux it seems...

[Sorry For the rather harsh reply]
Harsh? Nah.  It's like a dead fish across the face to slap sense into somebody.

Juuuust right.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #12 on: 3 October 2005, 05:27 »
wow. What crawled in your ass people and died?
 Let him release it if he wants to.
I am coming to the conclusion that most forums on the net are formed by people who are just too lazy to interact with real people and hide behind a monitor to be e-tough.
  Go for it man and fuck these assholes.

I agree with kinatro though. Worry less about the boot screen and worry more about the inner workings
Yeah

themacuser

« Reply #13 on: 6 October 2005, 12:58 »
I'm still going on the inner workings. They're not finished yet, unlike the bootscreen. So I haven't posted much here.

I'll get some packages into it and fine-tune it over the next week or so and get it ready for a first alpha.

themacuser

« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2005, 12:22 »
We use the WindowMaker windowmanger.

Running, with all stuff minimized.

Running X-Chat and Firefox. Works well.
X-Chat is deprecated and may be replaced with irssi depending on what you think.

Emacs has been removed and will be replaced with vi - I was an emacs fan, but I'm switching - once I know how to use vi, it's not all that bad. Damn, why did I learn emacs first!? And emacs is a lot larger.

We also have no filebrowser yet. The root menu works fine. And if it's too big to fit onscreen, you can tear off menus, like you can in blackbox.

Oh, and about the strange background: it's a cracked LCD screen scanned in. It was from digg, a while back. I thought it might fit flying chair, Ballmer might have hit a monitor as well :P

I'll definitely change it when I have a real background. I was just testing with that.

On second thought: thumbnails were added for dialup users... not everyone has broadband.