Author Topic: Classic on x86?  (Read 1097 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Classic on x86?
« on: 11 October 2005, 20:12 »
I heard about Rosetta for using Classic and Carbon when the issue first came out, but I've not heard anything since. Anybody got the lowdown?
Go the fuck ~

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Re: Classic on x86?
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2005, 22:40 »
I heard that Rosetta can only run OS X apps (not Classic/OS 9 ones), and only on CPUs with SSE3.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2005, 19:03 »
According to Apple, the transition to Mac OS X is complete and has been for a while now. They are going to get rid of classic compatibility at some point, and the switch to Intel processors would be a good reason (too much effort, not people still using classic for it to matter). What apps would you still need?

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2005, 19:39 »
Darn good point there. Most likely if you really need classic apps at this point, it's because you have something that just won't run on OS X at all, and need full blown 9 for it still.
Go the fuck ~

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2005, 12:21 »
I have a powerbook 3400 for all the classic stuff, works great. I've hardly touched classic on my PBG4.
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2005, 03:08 »
Quote from: hm_murdock
Darn good point there. Most likely if you really need classic apps at this point, it's because you have something that just won't run on OS X at all, and need full blown 9 for it still.

Well, I wish I could get a Mac that allows me to install System 7.5 on it, I still have the original CD from 1994. :D