Author Topic: X-Chat For Windows Crash  (Read 2333 times)

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
X-Chat For Windows Crash
« on: 25 October 2005, 01:48 »
Particular build from:
http://www.silverex.org/

I tried to use [EXEC -o ver | find "Windows"] and it basically froze. Before doing so, noticed a bunch of Pango warnings about it not being able to load a font and reverting back to Sans. I thought about what might be wrong, and tried putting the command in a batch file, but that also brought x-chat down.

If pipelines don't work properly, the program probably shouldn't allow you to use them :| (I know, that's more complicated done than said).

ETC:
Haven't tried that /w grep on *nix, and the grep I have on this windows machine is kinda dated (yet it understands regular expressions, but for some reason FIND.EXE provided /w Windows doesn't appear to, unless it's some hidden switch not shown on the /? screen, thanks Microsoft for your shoddy FIND utility).

EDIT:
I've noticed the clipboard from Firefox 1.0.7 doesn't copy stuff correctly over to x-chat. Seems to be some sort of clipboard issue on Windows.

cymon

• Kudos: 172
Re: X-Chat For Windows Crash
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2005, 02:15 »
Insert a linux install cd and reboot.

fixes it every time.

anphanax

« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2005, 02:42 »
That's not true.

This pipeline problem might exist under *nix as well. But, I dunno.

Here's one for you. I have a proprietary WINDOWS-ONLY XYZ driver that refuses to work right. Oh, so i'll just pull out a linux CD and... HOLD THE PHONE! DIDN'T FIX MY PROBLEM! Hey, I guess i'll just re-install windows so I can use this device I paid 200$ for (I probably should have checked compatibility first, but a lot of people don't and could care less anyways). Oh wait, if I use the craptastic recovery CD to install windows,
bye-bye go my linux partitions.

I'm not asking for help, I just wanted to make aware that an OPEN SOURCE program had a problem under windows, for those who use it under windows as I do (I know i'm not the only x-chat for windows person).

Come to think of it, this thread probably doesn't belong here, but oh well.

And as for the FIND.EXE not meeting my needs, I can always find a replacement for it or write my own.

I need Windows for now (and if Vista turns out to be successful, i'll probably want a copy of it too).

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2005, 07:04 »
When was the last time a major Windows version WASN'T successful?

(other than ME)
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

anphanax

« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2005, 22:29 »
Good point.

As long as they continue to pack it pre-installed on computers, I doubt it will have any problem being popular :|, at least where that's being done. On the PLUS side though, other countries seem to be adopting Linux.

I've just been reading so many "death knells" from Mac OS X users, since apparently there's nothing new in Vista (that's just dishonest). It's fun to read how Apple apparently invented mice and icons (they did neither, nor were they first to market them) and Microsoft stole them from Apple. It's nice to read how "far behind" windows is from a certian group of users that were lacking built-in ZIP and file system encryption when anyone with XP Pro already had it. Sorry if I sound like a troll, but i'm quite tired of the "everyone will switch to intel macs in a year" people. Not all Mac trolls (NOTE: NOT ALL USERS ARE MAC TROLLS, I DIDN'T SAY THAT) are on the side of F/OSS, you know. Some could care less about free/open alternatives, and rather see Apple become dominant like Microsoft is, because they're just so "innovative". It's like people didn't learn their lesson the first (second, third, ...) time and continue to worship corporations.

I don't have a lot against (it would be dishonest to say I had nothing against them) Apple, I just have a hard time getting along with some of it's fans.

Please don't get angry with me that I pointed out a problem that I had with Mac OS X. It's not like I never said anything bad about Windows.

cymon

« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2005, 04:02 »
Of course apple didn't invent the icons. But they DID come up with some good stuff, unlike Microsoft, who couldn't invent jack shit. Apple isn't perfect, but they have done some good things, they've been opensourcing some of their stuff lately.

Besides, you can't really come to a forum called microsuck and expect to get help with windows.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2005, 11:33 »
Cymon: I really liked your answer.

Anphanax: Don't take it bad. It's forum policy. You should be glad the ones that answered weren't kintaro or Skyman (Get Slack(or whatever), you fucking n00b!). I understand your have-to-use-the-shite-for-now position, but I fully disapprove of wanting a copy of Vista...

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2005, 18:01 »
IMO the only reason Apple is releasing more free ("open source") and better software is simply because they have to (if they wanna compete). Microsoft don't, although if they did then I see no reason why they couldn't do it. It's not like they don't have the resources.

At the end of the day it's all about the money, to both Microsoft and Apple.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2005, 19:35 »
Quote from: anphanax
Particular build from:
http://www.silverex.org/

I tried to use [EXEC -o ver | find "Windows"] and it basically froze. Before doing so, noticed a bunch of Pango warnings about it not being able to load a font and reverting back to Sans. I thought about what might be wrong, and tried putting the command in a batch file, but that also brought x-chat down.

If pipelines don't work properly, the program probably shouldn't allow you to use them :| (I know, that's more complicated done than said).

ETC:
Haven't tried that /w grep on *nix, and the grep I have on this windows machine is kinda dated (yet it understands regular expressions, but for some reason FIND.EXE provided /w Windows doesn't appear to, unless it's some hidden switch not shown on the /? screen, thanks Microsoft for your shoddy FIND utility).

I just downloaded/installed and it seems to work fine, the problem must be with something else.

anphanax

« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2005, 03:01 »
"Besides, you can't really come to a forum called microsuck and expect to get help with windows."

Does "I'm not asking for help" mean anything to you?

"But they DID come up with some good stuff"

Uh huh, and so did Microsoft (Office), what's your point?

"but I fully disapprove of wanting a copy of Vista..."

If a large amount of people use it, I'm going to want to be able to write code for it. Companies are going want people to write code for a popular platform (which they may already have millions of lines of code written for), and I, like others, would rather have a job than not have one. There don't appear to be very many *nix jobs around where I live.

"unlike Microsoft, who couldn't invent jack shit."

If you have developers, chances are you're "inventing" things. They've got their own DRM implementation for one. Sure, Microsoft may not have invented DRM, but Apple didn't invent music players (iPod), in the same respect. Microsoft has coders for a reason. They don't buy 100% of their code elsewhere obviously. Apparently Microsoft has their own lightweight ATL/MFCish implementation just for Office they use internally. Doesn't sound like they're not inventing "jack shit" to me.

"they've been opensourcing some of their stuff lately."

EDIT: I'm pretty sure someone's gonna find something wrong with the paragraph below :P. I kinda hope so actually.

Whoopty-Do! They give, they get. Where did Safari come from, anyways? If Apple wouldn't have open-sourced parts of their OS, would the F/OSS community be happy about Apple just including open source code in their OS all-the-sudden? How about this... what if MICROSOFT open-sourced something bizarely? Would you suddenly be practicing apologetics for them as well? Somehow I doubt it...

It's easy to criticize, but is it always easy to tell the truth?

Microsoft may not innovate that much, but it's unfair to say they've done nothing. That seems to me like the kinda thing that'll scare people away. You know, the whole "ideological" hatred approach, where you'll stoop just as low as your enemy.

cymon

« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2005, 03:45 »
"Does "I'm not asking for help" mean anything to you?"

No, but this is the first I've heard of it in this thread. The only other reason for possibly posting this would be as a warning to other users, but if I'm on a website called FuckMicrosoft.com, I don't think that it's users are going to be camping out in line to get the next version.

"Uh huh, and so did Microsoft (Office), what's your point?"

I meant something GOOD. Office is bloated and shitty. And just to prove that, 9 out of 10 features requested in the next office were ALREADY IN THERE, proving that microsoft isn't exactly the greatest at design.

"If Apple wouldn't have open-sourced parts of their OS, would the F/OSS community be happy about Apple just including open source code in their OS all-the-sudden?"

Yes. The entire point of open source software is to share the code. Apple is simply giving back what they used, being nice. Microsoft will never open source their software, simply because they don't want to help the software community. They want you to write your software in Visual Studio, use .net and ASP instead of PHP. JAVA is evil, and you should use Visual Basic instead. Anyone else can go to hell.

Microsoft doesn't have to innovate, they can just buy things out. They've already got most of the market, so they don't really have to worry about quality, because people don't know enough about linux to use an alternative. As long as people keep buying, they don't have to innovate, just keep recycling old code, mabye batch a couple bugs. Besides, if every version of Windows is shit, it makes you look forward to the next. Like you said, it's all about the money.

HeroicRaptor

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2005, 05:42 »
The only reason I won't switch to Mac is because they have their JavaVM close-sourced and you have to buy Java, which I use heavily for comp sci.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2005, 12:17 »
Quote from: HeroicRaptor
The only reason I won't switch to Mac is because they have their JavaVM close-sourced and you have to buy Java, which I use heavily for comp sci.

You'd have to buy JAVA for Windows too.

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2005, 21:20 »
Quote from: Refalm
You'd have to buy JAVA for Windows too.

What the fuck?  No you fucking don't.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

cymon

« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2005, 21:27 »
Quote from: HeroicRaptor

XCode 2.0 can create Java apps and is free with OSX. I think the sun vm got ported to mac.