Author Topic: Mac = ordered  (Read 4330 times)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Mac = ordered
« on: 31 October 2005, 02:23 »
Yesterday I ordered this:

12" PowerBook
1.5GHz G4
512MB RAM
80GB hard drive (5400rpm)
8x SuperDrive
mobile FX5200 video (whatever they call it)
wireless
all that other stuff

Refurbished from apple.com, $1,299.  Should come sometime late this week.

How'd I do?
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

cymon

• Kudos: 172
Re: Mac = ordered
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2005, 02:59 »
Sexy. OSX is a great platform, not as hard core as Linux/BSD but it's still very good, very simple.

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2005, 04:35 »
w00t. I have the one below that - the 1.33GHZ with the Combo drive. It's awesome.
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2005, 04:40 »
Me too!

ballmer_is_a_whore

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2005, 09:13 »
I've got a 14" iBook with combo drive. It's so much better than my dell. I tried to get linux on the dell, but it's too screwed over. I think i might have to try noacpi, nodma and that stuff. I hope the dell dies at the moment, it's an evil POS.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2005, 09:15 »
Quote from: ballmer_is_a_whore
I've got a 14" iBook with combo drive. It's so much better than my dell. I tried to get linux on the dell, but it's too screwed over. I think i might have to try noacpi, nodma and that stuff. I hope the dell dies at the moment, it's an evil POS.

Maybe you'd send it to me?  I have this thing about throwing out PCs that only "went bad" because of something stupid, like a faulty DIMM or something on that order.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

themacuser

« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2005, 09:19 »
Yeah, you should try reseating everything, and all the connectors inside it...

Might be a loose one.

But knowing it's a dell... :S
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

ballmer_is_a_whore

« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2005, 09:31 »
I'll go down to the electronics store and get a set of screwdrivers and a can of air duster soon. Maybe I can get it going. Windows gets stop errors everywhere, and linux won't boot. I'm certainly not going to throw it out though.

themacuser

« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2005, 11:55 »
Heh... hope you do get it working so you can get Windows off it ASAP...

ballmer_is_a_whore

« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2005, 12:49 »
Ok, I have a set of torxes and a can of air duster. I'll take the laptop apart soon...

WMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 31 October 2005, 17:24 »
Nice thread hijacking guys... :p
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #11 on: 31 October 2005, 21:15 »
512MB isn't much memory these days - hopefully the chip setup allows you to do a cheap and fast upgrade.  I mean, I have 640MB on my G3!  Otherwise, good buy - refurbished Apples are the way to go.

WMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 1 November 2005, 02:59 »
Quote from: worker201
512MB isn't much memory these days - hopefully the chip setup allows you to do a cheap and fast upgrade.

Well, I use a G4/450 at school with 512MB, and it never feels that slow (except during obviously CPU-bound stuff).  I might be ok with 512MB.  But since you wonder, this PB already has the extra RAM slot filled with a 256MB chip, but it's just as accessible as on the iBook.  I've looked up RAM prices on Newegg for this thing, and noting those, I'm not about to jump right in for more RAM.  I'll have to see.

Oh, and according to Apple's website, they shipped it out today.  w00t!
My BSOD gallery

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #13 on: 1 November 2005, 04:24 »
Still, I think RAM is better for you than processor speed.  I use Illustrator, Fireworks, and Flash a lot, and I can't imagine them on the G3-900 with any less RAM.  In fact, if the RAM was upgradeable from 640MB, I would, in a heartbeat.

Deek

« Reply #14 on: 3 November 2005, 18:10 »
Yes. OSX is quite RAM intensive. I suggest not using 512 MB RAM permanently, as this hinders performance greatly.
As of right now, mine is using 761 MB RAM. Remember that dashboard widgets use alot of memory as well.