Author Topic: Compaq XP disc.  (Read 1187 times)

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
Compaq XP disc.
« on: 2 November 2005, 16:27 »
Or XP "No Rights" edition.

Has anyone else noticed on compaq computers, they somehow lock the OS partition? I think it's because of the TCPA thing has begun to take off. Yay :rolleyes:. Also, the discs don't allow installation on other computrers..
« Last Edit: 2 November 2005, 16:32 by thomasrocks1 »

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
Re: Compaq XP disc.
« Reply #1 on: 2 November 2005, 19:27 »
yeah, the backup partition is locked, so when newbie windows users fuck up they can just reinstall from boot with no cd swapping. When I still had an HP, I got partition magic and deleted that locked partition--windows wouldn't boot after that, had to get my own copy.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 2 November 2005, 22:41 »
You should be able to demand a proper copy as the whole point of a CD is in the event Windows fucks up.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #3 on: 3 November 2005, 01:24 »
It's the same deal with our HP pavilion that I don't use, the only backup is the partition, so you can't install linux or give away free windows xp.

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #4 on: 3 November 2005, 02:26 »
you can install linux with no problem... you wouldn't be able to give away the windows xp either becuase these type of brand OEM XP's check for hardware (example: my friends dell has an XP cd and will install fine on his dell... but he got new ram and wouldn't install anymore)