Author Topic: Alternatives to the Borg AKA Microsoft  (Read 3185 times)

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
Re: Alternatives to the Borg AKA Microsoft
« Reply #15 on: 14 November 2005, 20:45 »
I agree with you. Thats why Im going to be using FC4 till I can get more proficient. I apologize for stepping on anyones toes if I did. My hardware comes up fine in FC4. I was having problems with the sound card wich is ensoniq. I couldnt get my headset going. Im sure I contributed the problem. Fortunetly I have all my data files backed up. I can always reinstall my OS if I mess up.
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2005, 22:31 »
Mac OS X will not run on generic x86 hardware. It'll still be $129, and will require Apple-branded hardware. They aren't "dropping the mac" and going to a software-based business model, they're changing processors from the PPC series to the IA32/IA64 series.

Also, I believe it's against forum rules to discuss piracy of software. Go OSS if you want free. If you're going to get commercial software, then do the right thing and freaking pay for it. Don't break the law.
Go the fuck ~

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #17 on: 14 November 2005, 23:30 »
Quote from: dmcfarland
I agree with you. Thats why Im going to be using FC4 till I can get more proficient. I apologize for stepping on anyones toes if I did. My hardware comes up fine in FC4. I was having problems with the sound card wich is ensoniq. I couldnt get my headset going. Im sure I contributed the problem. Fortunetly I have all my data files backed up. I can always reinstall my OS if I mess up.

Surprise surprise!

I have an Ensoniq AudioPCI as well in my machine, what is the model number, mine is ES1371 and I have no problems in Slackware 10.2 or any other distro I've tried in the past. :p

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #18 on: 15 November 2005, 01:06 »
There's actually a coupon to get Linspire for free legally, but Linspire is the last OS I would recommend ... (I would never recommend Window$ ... not even to my worst enemy .. I'm evil, but not that evil :D)

dmcfarland

« Reply #19 on: 15 November 2005, 01:14 »
I apologize for discussing that. I was unaware of that. Piracy will continue as long as companies continue to charge ridiculous prices for software. Im not advocating anyone do that, but I am just pointing out the laws of supply and demand. Thats another reason why I like Linux and open source concept. BTW whats OSS?

Quote from: hm_murdock
Mac OS X will not run on generic x86 hardware. It'll still be $129, and will require Apple-branded hardware. They aren't "dropping the mac" and going to a software-based business model, they're changing processors from the PPC series to the IA32/IA64 series.

Also, I believe it's against forum rules to discuss piracy of software. Go OSS if you want free. If you're going to get commercial software, then do the right thing and freaking pay for it. Don't break the law.

dmcfarland

« Reply #20 on: 15 November 2005, 01:31 »
I have an ensoniq 1373. I ran into problems when I installed skype. I couldnt get the microphone to work to mention the distortiong I was getting as well, and then it went to hell from there. So if someone can remedie that I would be very grateful.

I am a relative newbie to Linux. So you'll have to pardon me if I am not as knowlegable as the rest of you. I can see how certain attitudes among the experienced members of the Linux communtiy could turn off people who are trying to switch. I think its important to remeber that we were all at one time newbies, inexperienced, and junior. :nothappy:

Quote from: MarathoN
Surprise surprise!

I have an Ensoniq AudioPCI as well in my machine, what is the model number, mine is ES1371 and I have no problems in Slackware 10.2 or any other distro I've tried in the past. :p

BTW I dont feel that I have enough kowneldge of Linux to run Slackware. I heard that distro is meant for experts.

dmcfarland

« Reply #21 on: 15 November 2005, 01:34 »
BTW I am going to stick with FC 4. I need to cut my teeth on something. So I have decided to go with that distro for the time being. Its user friendly enough for me to get started. I might play with some others if I am able to come by another pc or perhaps get an old G-3 or G-4.

MarathoN

« Reply #22 on: 15 November 2005, 03:32 »
Nope, I know hardly anything about Linux and even I find Slackware easy to install. :)

dmcfarland

« Reply #23 on: 15 November 2005, 03:46 »
Different people different distro's. Thanks god.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #24 on: 15 November 2005, 07:51 »
I might play with some others if I am able to come by another pc or perhaps get an old G-3 or G-4.

Thanks to the Mac Mini, G3 and G4 towers are mad cheap.  G4 466/256MB/30GB for $299.  That site doesn't have any G3 towers in stock, but I hear they've gone for $150 or even less.  Although, with OS X, I'd stick to G4 (even slower ones) - for example, I've seen G3/700 vs. G4/450 on OS X, and the G4 won.

Oh, and they have a G3/500 iMac for $199 right now.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

MarathoN

« Reply #25 on: 15 November 2005, 18:17 »
Different people different distro's. Thanks god.

You know you want Slackware. :D

dmcfarland

« Reply #26 on: 15 November 2005, 18:32 »
Actaully I dont.

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #27 on: 15 November 2005, 23:08 »
Flying Chair... you'll love it :P
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #28 on: 16 November 2005, 00:58 »
Quote from: MarathoN
You know you want Slackware. :D

I might try it ... say what is the fastest distro ? (yeah I know Fedora is slow, but what is fast ?)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #29 on: 16 November 2005, 18:17 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
I might try it ... say what is the fastest distro ? (yeah I know Fedora is slow, but what is fast ?)
I don't see how anyone could possibly measure which is the fastest distro... Some of the packages they use are common to most other distros and some aren't. You can always disable (and uninstall) services/stuff you don't want.

Slackware with GNOME and a few extra bells could end up as slow as Fedora.

A system with all/most of the binaries compiled with optimizations for speed (-Os) for that CPU would be the fastest possible.
Should you be crazy enough to try it, this will help.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.