Author Topic: Alternatives to the Borg AKA Microsoft  (Read 3186 times)

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
Re: Alternatives to the Borg AKA Microsoft
« Reply #30 on: 17 November 2005, 00:27 »
Hmmm, I use XFCE and it's fine for me. :D

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #31 on: 17 November 2005, 03:57 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
I don't see how anyone could possibly measure which is the fastest distro... Some of the packages they use are common to most other distros and some aren't. You can always disable (and uninstall) services/stuff you don't want.

Slackware with GNOME and a few extra bells could end up as slow as Fedora.

A system with all/most of the binaries compiled with optimizations for speed (-Os) for that CPU would be the fastest possible.
Should you be crazy enough to try it, this will help.

Ahhh ... I see, so I think I'll stick with FC for now, it works great on my machine :thumbup: .. I've heard about optimizations for speed, but I think stability is more important than speed (I dare not try it even though it sounds tempting)

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #32 on: 18 November 2005, 03:04 »
Im having problems installing fc4 (Fucking Crap 4,) and somehow I ended up frying my dvd player. Im working on getting my pc up.

I kept getting install media corrupt errors, depsite getting no burn errors or crc bad checksum. It might be my cd burner which is old and a piece of shit. Its a 4 x x4 x16, and philips. I didnt have any problem burning all the other cd's I made with it, nor a problem with burning solaris 10 on it which I am currently installing. I dont like it, but I might be able to dl and burn suse or debian (If I feel like dl'ing 10 disk and burning them,) or some other distro-"sigh" slackware.

Anyway there is something wrong with the fc (fucking crap 4) images. I might just buy a dvd burner, bc I am sick of burning a million cd's.

Whips me, beat, humiliate me, mistreat me, and fc4 me.

PS: From here on out fc4 will always mean fucking crap 4:fu:
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #33 on: 18 November 2005, 03:19 »
Quote from: dmcfarland
Im having problems installing fc4 (Fucking Crap 4,) and somehow I ended up frying my dvd player. Im working on getting my pc up.

I kept getting install media corrupt errors, depsite getting no burn errors or crc bad checksum. It might be my cd burner which is old and a piece of shit. Its a 4 x x4 x16, and philips. I didnt have any problem burning all the other cd's I made with it, nor a problem with burning solaris 10 on it which I am currently installing. I dont like it, but I might be able to dl and burn suse or debian (If I feel like dl'ing 10 disk and burning them,) or some other distro-"sigh" slackware.

Anyway there is something wrong with the fc (fucking crap 4) images. I might just buy a dvd burner, bc I am sick of burning a million cd's.

Whips me, beat, humiliate me, mistreat me, and fc4 me.

PS: From here on out fc4 will always mean fucking crap 4:fu:
I think them media errors are either something to do with DMA or else you need an 80-pin IDE cable for the CD/DVD-drive you're reading from. I had problems with both them before. For the DMA errors, I had to pass some option to the kernel at boot time to disable DMA, IIRC. Can't remember what it was exactly. Google might tell you.

Also, http://www.google.com/search?q=media+error+dma&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficialLooks like some people are having trouble with GNU/Linux and their burners. Something there might help you out.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #34 on: 18 November 2005, 06:10 »
I've had some trouble burning suse, it kept saying the disks were corrupt even though all hashes / checksum were good (md5 and others)

dmcfarland

« Reply #35 on: 18 November 2005, 20:48 »
My cd burner is a working burner. Its old and it only seems to read disk at burned at its speed. I can put in another disk and it wont read. Ill probably be looking into a new dvd burner next month anyway.

I did find an command line option to run and Ill give that a try.:scared:

dmcfarland

« Reply #36 on: 19 November 2005, 19:22 »
Ill take me crow with tobbasco sauce on it. I got FC4 (not fucking crap 4,) it turns out that one of my memory sticks was shot. It took me a bit to figure that out, but Im on linux, no windows partitions, or anything else ms related.

Thanks all. Ill be posting more. I am learning slowly. Take care

dmcfarland

« Reply #37 on: 19 November 2005, 19:29 »
I tried that when I had windows on my machine and sure enough it crashed. ;)

187nimd4

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #38 on: 21 November 2005, 20:09 »
Quote from: dmcfarland
I dont want to pay for a linux distro when I can get another one for free on the net.
.. and of course I also never, ever will :D some people just don't get it ..