Author Topic: Kill Bill's Browser  (Read 7573 times)

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
Re: Kill Bill's Browser
« Reply #15 on: 17 November 2005, 00:34 »
Wow, I really like that feature, I used to use Opera and I loved it.

But now thinking back, I don't even know why I used it, the features that I thought were amazing compared to firefox just seem a short-lived fantasy.

I believe that Firefox is superior to Opera, even if Opera does have zooming etc.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #16 on: 17 November 2005, 00:39 »
Quote from: WMD
Well hold on there, Jonesy.  You've got a link to Firefox in your sig on that electronics forum. :p

Just modified it.

I don't know how well Opera will adapt to the, I suppose it will either have to or die out. I suppose I'll still use it I just might have to switch back to FireFox every now and again (I still do anyway, hell I even use IE on odd occasions).
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #17 on: 17 November 2005, 00:56 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Just modified it.

I don't know how well Opera will adapt to the, I suppose it will either have to or die out. I suppose I'll still use it I just might have to switch back to FireFox every now and again (I still do anyway, hell I even use IE on odd occasions).

Just don't dare expect me or anyone else to:
Face it X, Opera's just better than FireFox.

Childish comments like that piss me off big time.

IMO, Firefox is technically superior to Opera (with it's XUL, the chrome protocol, and extension support (XUL made that easy). That's technical for you. IMO Operas zoom zooms images, tiled windows etc., features like that are less important. They're importance is close to nil, at least IMO. I wouldn't go crazy over them. I wouldn't switch from Firefox to Opera for them.). It also has a much more ideal licence.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #18 on: 17 November 2005, 03:59 »
And Opera has problems with plug-ins, I gotta really force them to work ... Firefox rules :D

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #19 on: 17 November 2005, 07:02 »
There is one thing that firefox DOES have over Opera.  The best extension ever.  Opera is sorely lacking in the hammertime department.

In my opinion, XUL is a waste of memory, and serves to slow it down with the unneeded ability to skin the browser.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #20 on: 17 November 2005, 09:54 »
Firefox has stumble upon and adblock. Let's see opera beat that? (Opera does have something like adblock, but firefox has an auto updater for the list) Also, web developer toolbar comes in very handy on Firefox.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 17 November 2005, 10:29 »
At the moment I don't know (or care) about all the XUL shit, I don't know whether it's good or bad, only time will tell. I'll only care if the technology takes off and Opera doesn't support it, only then I'd agree that FireFox has a significant advantage over Opera. At the moment it doesn't, I don't need any extentions for Opera because it's so advanced it doesn't need any, currently the superiour interface and download manager carry far more weight than support for some new technology that isn't even mainstream and might not ever become important. For now I'll stand by my previous statement, Opera is better than FireFox.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #22 on: 17 November 2005, 18:22 »
At the moment I don't know (or care) about all the XUL shit, I don't know whether it's good or bad, only time will tell. I'll only care if the technology takes off and Opera doesn't support it, only then I'd agree that FireFox has a significant advantage over Opera. At the moment it doesn't, I don't need any extentions for Opera because it's so advanced it doesn't need any, currently the superiour interface and download manager carry far more weight than support for some new technology that isn't even mainstream and might not ever become important.

At least you know now that Firefox is a bit better technically than you previously thought. If I ever say "IMO Firefox is technically superior to Opera", anywhere where there's Opera fanboys about... Not pretty. And then XUL comes into play.

Opera is probably superior functionality-wise. But I can live without them functions Opera has and Firefox lacks, believe it or not ("They're importance is close to nil, at least IMO. I wouldn't go crazy over them. I wouldn't switch from Firefox to Opera for them.". GNU Emacs has all the functionality in the world (you might need extensions for some crazy stuff - like an IRC client and a web-browser), but you don't see everyone using it, do you? Some functionality is just not-important. skyman, what was your reason for disliking Emacs, again (it mightn't have been clear the last time. I remember you made a joke about Emacs (something like "it's supposed to be a text editor or something"?))?.

Also, Firefox is  far superior extensibly. Some of the functionality provided by Firefox extensions you simply won't get on Opera.

For now I'll stand by my previous statement, Opera is better than FireFox.
Only IYO. Other people's opinions will differ, and you better not try to force your opinion on them.

Anybody who, in their right mind, says (and means) "Opera is better than Firefox" (like, plain-better), either has alot to educate me about or has alot to be educated about.
Quote from: skyman
In my opinion, XUL is a waste of memory, and serves to slow it down with the unneeded ability to skin the browser.
Can't you skin Opera? Why do you say it's a waste of memory?

Oh yea - that's another thing. XUL applications can be easily skinned (I think that's by nature - or close to it - too (which would mean it shouldn't have been a huge amount of extra code to get-working, and it shouldn't require a much faster/better CPU or more/better memory).). But that's not the only advantage of XUL. So don't kid yourself skyman.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: 17 November 2005, 19:12 »
At the moment I don't know (or care) about all the XUL shit, I don't know whether it's good or bad, only time will tell. I'll only care if the technology takes off and Opera doesn't support it, only then I'd agree that FireFox has a significant advantage over Opera. At the moment it doesn't, I don't need any extentions for Opera because it's so advanced it doesn't need any, currently the superiour interface and download manager carry far more weight than support for some new technology that isn't even mainstream and might not ever become important.
Funny, I thought you previously posted this:
I don't know how well Opera will adapt to the [XUL], I suppose it will either have to or die out.
The fact that you would think such a thing says it all. But yea - I realise you'll explain now that you weren't thinking straight, or whatever.

IMO, you wouldn't need to be as crazy to make that statement (what you said) as you would need to be to make this statement:
Quote from: noone
I don't know how well Mozilla will adapt to tiled windows and support for zooming images, I suppose it will either have to or die out.
Hell, if they really needed to (which they don't), I'm sure such functionality would be far easier to add than even minimal XUL support.

BTW, I added a bit to my previous post and made a few other changes. Anyone who has already read it - re-read (what I added isn't at the end) if you want.

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #24 on: 17 November 2005, 19:32 »
I THINK that there is a text editor somewhere in EMACS, I've never been able to find it.  Once my hand heals from being twisted around trying to find the shortcut for it, I'll let you know.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: 17 November 2005, 19:57 »
Quote from: skyman8081
I THINK that there is a text editor somewhere in EMACS, I've never been able to find it.  Once my hand heals from being twisted around trying to find the shortcut for it, I'll let you know.
And similarly someone could make the same joke about Opera ;)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 18 November 2005, 00:04 »
piratePenguin,
Your argument all hindges on XUL support presuming it'll become a dominant technology and Opera won't support it. You bet if XUL takes off big Opera will implement it (they won't have any choice) but if it doesn't they obviously won't need to. I really don't see how XUL alone makes FireFox superiour to Opera, wOw!!! OmG!! MicR$oFT InTeRNeT ExPlOrER suPPORtS ACiVE x!!!! THi$ MaKe$ It beTTeR ThaN oPerA and FIreFoX PUt ToGethER!!!! :rolleyes:

By the way you can't make the same joke about Opera - I don't need to use the keyboard in Opera except to enter text of course.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: 18 November 2005, 00:24 »
piratePenguin,
Your argument all hindges on XUL support presuming it'll become a dominant technology and Opera won't support it.
Wow you got it all wrong.

What I'm saying (most of it anyhow) is that: IMO Firefox is technically superior to Opera, mainly because of XUL. XUL is a wonderful technology IMO. It's working wonders for Mozilla (most of the other Mozilla apps - Thunderbird etc., are also XUL apps).

XUL doesn't need to become a dominant technology, Firefox would still be just as technically-good or -bad as it was before it was dominant.

You bet if XUL takes off big Opera will implement it (they won't have any choice) but if it doesn't they obviously won't need to. I really don't see how XUL alone makes FireFox superiour to Opera, wOw!!! OmG!! MicR$oFT InTeRNeT ExPlOrER suPPORtS ACiVE x!!!! THi$ MaKe$ It beTTeR ThaN oPerA and FIreFoX PUt ToGethER!!!! :rolleyes:
Wow I really am dealing with kids.

By the way you can't make the same joke about Opera - I don't need to use the keyboard in Opera except to enter text of course.
Wow you really did get it all wrong.

Just. Wow.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: 18 November 2005, 10:58 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
What I'm saying (most of it anyhow) is that: IMO Firefox is technically superior to Opera, mainly because of XUL.

A ridiculous argument, that's like saying "Microsoft Windows is technically superiour to Linux because of DDE and OLE".

Quote from: piratePenguin
It's working wonders for Mozilla (most of the other Mozilla apps - Thunderbird etc., are also XUL apps).

OLE and DDE are working wonders for Microsoft Windows, it's great I can copy data to the clipboard from one application and paste it into another, I can even doulble click on the object and edit it again!

Currently, what positive effect is XUL having on Firefox?
Apart from being able to see your pretty web page I have yet to see any real advantages - I haven't noticed anything that provides a significantly superiour user experiance or benifits security. I use Thunderbird and it's quite good but I haven't seen anything really innovative (there's nothing that makes it stand out from the rest) for all I know ther could be something technically superiour out there, I just haven't found it. OLE and DDE have had a far bigger positive impact on Microsoft Windows applications than XUL has had on FireFox, they increase productivity by allowing me to use many applications to create one document - the more tools in my tool box the better.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #29 on: 18 November 2005, 19:00 »
A ridiculous argument, that's like saying "Microsoft Windows is technically superiour to Linux because of DDE and OLE".
You said yourself that the Opera guys would even possibly have to adopt XUL or "die".

OLE and DDE are working wonders for Microsoft Windows, it's great I can copy data to the clipboard from one application and paste it into another,
I can do that on here too.

Currently, what positive effect is XUL having on Firefox?
Extensability and themeability were much easier to get working (I'm sure). It will run and look like a native app on different systems. It can render XUL pages.