Author Topic: Has microsoft done anything good for the computer industry?  (Read 5366 times)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Re: Has microsoft done anything good for the computer industry?
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2005, 23:30 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Apple leading things would be worse than Microsoft because they wouldn't just own the OS but the hardware too, secret instructions would make it damn near impossible for a competitor to create a clone or write a competing OS for it, and as piratePeguin said they could charge what they like for the hardware and make people upgrade often.

Who says it would stay that way?  It didn't work this way even in reality, as Apple DID allow licensed clones for a couple years in the mid-90s.  This didn't exactly take off as expected (Apple would be much like MS with the operating system), so Jobs stopped it and went back to the old way.  If Apple had the marketshare, the clones could've stayed.  Not just existed, but stayed, because they were real for a while.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2005, 00:00 »
Thats a good point. Is it possible though to run a linux distro w/kde an OpenOffice and still have a reasonably fast stable machine.

Quote from: piratePenguin
If I was using Windows, I would want XP so I can get IE7 when it's released. I've used Windows on this system and it wasn't increadibly pretty (i.e. fast/snappy) (not as pretty as GNOME on GNU/Linux is), I would really want another 256MB RAM (so I'd have 512MB altogether).

On GNU/Linux, I can use the latest Firefox on Slackware 8 (probably). If Firefox sucks on my 32MB RAM system, I can use dillo.

EDIT: http://www.microsuck.com/content/whatsbad.shtml#upgrade
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #17 on: 21 November 2005, 00:05 »
Quote from: dmcfarland
Is it possible though to run a linux distro w/kde an OpenOffice and still have a reasonably fast stable machine.
Depends on the hardware of course.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

dmcfarland

« Reply #18 on: 21 November 2005, 00:17 »
For example a 233 mhz pc, maybe a 20gb hardrive, 64 megs or ram, vid card no memory on it, ps 2 mouse, keyboard.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #19 on: 21 November 2005, 00:29 »
For example a 233 mhz pc, maybe a 20gb hardrive, 64 megs or ram, vid card no memory on it, ps 2 mouse, keyboard.
Running KDE on that is kinda silly. Fluxbox and XFCE work better with that kinda hardware.
As for OpenOffice... Well.. Probably not TBH.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

dmcfarland

« Reply #20 on: 21 November 2005, 00:37 »
All I know is that my piece of shit P3 550MHZ w/384megs ram, 64 mb vid card and craps ass hardware runs pretty damn well on fedora core 4.

I read the whole writup on the microsuck homepage.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #21 on: 21 November 2005, 01:10 »
KDE and OOo love ram.  Give a system plenty of that, and it won't care about you CPU (unless you have KDE special effects turned on).
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

dmcfarland

« Reply #22 on: 21 November 2005, 01:42 »
My computer has 384 mb's of ram and kde runs fine
:thumbup:

dmcfarland

« Reply #23 on: 21 November 2005, 03:29 »
Microsoft has done some good. No its not that it makes good products or has fair business practices, or is an ethical company. No Microsoft hasn't done any of that.

Microsoft has spawned others to create viable alternatives such as linux. There always needs to be a arch villian, an evil mastermind. Bill Gates and MS fills that role perfectly.If it wasnt MS, it would be someone else.  

I hate microsoft. At least it gives us something to shoot for in the non MS community and is a good motivator for those who want to topple to giant.

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #24 on: 21 November 2005, 04:43 »
Doesnt linux require ppl to upgrade in order to make it functional for regular use?

You can run linux on a fucking P-200 with 32 mb's of ram.

dmcfarland

« Reply #25 on: 21 November 2005, 05:27 »
But can it run gnome and openoffice?

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #26 on: 21 November 2005, 05:59 »
No, but it might be able to run Fluxbox and XFCE as piratePenguin mentioned

and no you can't run Window$ on it

Jack2000

« Reply #27 on: 21 November 2005, 14:31 »
Dos?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #28 on: 21 November 2005, 15:17 »
Quote from: WMD
Who says it would stay that way?  It didn't work this way even in reality, as Apple DID allow licensed clones for a couple years in the mid-90s.  This didn't exactly take off as expected (Apple would be much like MS with the operating system), so Jobs stopped it and went back to the old way.  If Apple had the marketshare, the clones could've stayed.  Not just existed, but stayed, because they were real for a while.

Yes, but Apple would still be in charge of the clones as they own the patents so they could with-draw the licenses if they wanted to (just like they did).

But can it run gnome and openoffice?

You can run OpenOffice 1.1.5 on 64MB of RAM though it's a bit slow, if it's just the word processor you require could use AbiWord and don't use Gnome use Xfce.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

187nimd4

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #29 on: 21 November 2005, 20:01 »
Quote from: dmcfarland[font=Tahoma
][/font]if Microsoft has contributed anything good and worthwhile in the computer industry
um.. how about no, ok? :D