Author Topic: Has microsoft done anything good for the computer industry?  (Read 5370 times)

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Has microsoft done anything good for the computer industry?
« Reply #30 on: 21 November 2005, 21:13 »
Quote from: Jack2000
Dos?

Probably ... but who still supports dos ?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #32 on: 21 November 2005, 21:43 »
great ... I prefer Linux tho

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #33 on: 21 November 2005, 22:42 »
One might also go so far as to say that Microsoft's open license with IBM allowed cloners to get into the market, forcing IBM to compete, and lowering the prices on hardware.  And once the prices were lowered enough to get new users into the market, prices dropped even further.  All personal computing hardware is ridiculously cheap now, much cheaper than it should be.  In fact, the majority of companies barely even take a profit on consumer hardware - they make their money back on servers and workstations.  For that, I guess we have Microsoft to thank.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #34 on: 22 November 2005, 03:09 »
They only did it for their own profit though ... I don't think it should count ... after all ... all hardware is "designed for Microsoft Window$ XP", at least that's what it says on the fucking box ... same goes for computers (with a few exceptions)

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #35 on: 22 November 2005, 06:55 »
Yeah, that sucks. Thing is nowdays that hardware and OS are made by different companies so it shouldn't matter to the hardware companies. So then why are computers  made for Windows? Hmm, I smell anti-trust in the wind. Interestingly XP runs fine... if, like me you have a top of the line box. An OS's stability shouldn't be reliant on the hardware it's running, speed yes, but not hardware, that's just stupid. How would you even manage it?
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: 22 November 2005, 09:44 »
Quote from: Dark_ME
An OS's stability shouldn't be reliant on the hardware it's running

That's just the way it is, if you run any OS on crappy cheap and nasty hardware you shouldn't expect it to be reliable, an OS is only as good as the hardware and vice versa.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #37 on: 22 November 2005, 11:50 »
I should have clarified more. What I meant was (with Windows) you have to have the very best hardware or close for it to work properly. Such as with my comps, I got one that's all right (2.3 GHz 256MB RAM) and Windows earns it's bad reputation on that but on my new box, which is pretty good (3GHz 512MB RAM), it runs like a dream. I understand that hardware relates to the OS but it should not relate to the extent that it does with Windows.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

187nimd4

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #38 on: 22 November 2005, 12:20 »
I totally agree, of course .. it is like winamp: version 2 would load blazing fast, then they added 'eyecandy' and version 5 even without everything has trouble loading in the new skin mode, not classic mode: and even without version 2, just looking at version 5 in classic and other mode the difference can be seen; same thing with windows: just an example of bad programming (on a global scale); now this MUST be obvious to all but the blind ;) .. sry off topic.

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #39 on: 22 November 2005, 16:12 »
Quote from: Dark_Me
I should have clarified more. What I meant was (with Windows) you have to have the very best hardware or close for it to work properly. Such as with my comps, I got one that's all right (2.3 GHz 256MB RAM) and Windows earns it's bad reputation on that but on my new box, which is pretty good (3GHz 512MB RAM), it runs like a dream. I understand that hardware relates to the OS but it should not relate to the extent that it does with Windows.

I disagree, I run win2k on a 4 year old machine (AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53ghz, 512mb pc2100 ram) and it runs like a dream, no speed problems at all.

But when I tried it on xp, it was sooo slow and unbearable that I had to uninstall xp in the end, couldn't put up with it any longer. :rolleyes:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #40 on: 22 November 2005, 18:06 »
Quote from: MarathoN
I disagree, I run win2k on a 4 year old machine (AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53ghz, 512mb pc2100 ram) and it runs like a dream, no speed problems at all.

But when I tried it on xp, it was sooo slow and unbearable that I had to uninstall xp in the end, couldn't put up with it any longer. :rolleyes:
Err, that machine is newer than Windows 2000, so I'd expect it to run it pretty-damn-well.

You kinda shot yourself in the foot by bringing a slightly-newer version of Windows into it.

Windows needs fast and otherwise-good, recent, hardware. Enough said.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #41 on: 22 November 2005, 19:01 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Err, that machine is newer than Windows 2000, so I'd expect it to run it pretty-damn-well.

You kinda shot yourself in the foot by bringing a slightly-newer version of Windows into it.

Windows needs fast and otherwise-good, recent, hardware. Enough said.

So, basically, you're saying that Windows perpetuates itself through unrealistic expectations of existing hardware, driving the market for "better" hardware whilst simultaneously obsoleting a vast sea of otherwise usable systems?

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #42 on: 22 November 2005, 19:12 »
Quote from: Orethrius
So, basically, you're saying that Windows perpetuates itself through unrealistic expectations of existing hardware, driving the market for "better" hardware whilst simultaneously obsoleting a vast sea of otherwise usable systems?
Well yes.

Try running XP on a computer three years older than XP. Try doing the same with Windows ME, 98, 95 (I wouldn't be so sure about 2000)...

I can run, and run-well, a modern GNU/Linux distro with GNOME and all the bits on this box (2600+, 256MB RAM, on-board sound/graphics (nForce 2)).
« Last Edit: 22 November 2005, 19:17 by piratePenguin »

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #43 on: 22 November 2005, 19:14 »
Quote from: Orethrius
unrealistic expectations of existing hardware
Unrealistic expectations of not-so-modern hardware.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: 22 November 2005, 19:16 »
I disagree, I run Windows XP on an 1800MHz 248MB (32MB for on board graphics) machine and it's not too bad. Right now I'm running Opera with a couple of tabs open and it's using 104MB of RAM up, and just 80MB with nothing running. Wow XP is using up just 32.25% of my physical memory!

Why should I need 512MB when 256MB can give acceptable performance?