Author Topic: OpenOffice.org 2.0 Is Awesome  (Read 2584 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: OpenOffice.org 2.0 Is Awesome
« Reply #15 on: 29 November 2005, 02:42 »
Quote from: e7ement
and here is an article about why you shouldn't use OpenOffice: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=120

Perhaps.

But consider the possibility that OpenOffice behaves that way for a reason.  And that some blogger has no interest in knowing why.  I'm sure his results had to do with the fact that he is running OO on a Windows machine.  Microsoft, of course, has all the inside scoops on memory management, object/process sharing between Windows and Word, and all the other goodies that no one can duplicate without being in serious copyright violation.  OpenOffice kinda has to guess at all that stuff, because it is not available to developers, especially developers of a competing product.  If OO had the same Windows performance as MSO, you'd see a lawsuit.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #16 on: 29 November 2005, 03:11 »
Quote from: worker201
Perhaps.

But consider the possibility that OpenOffice behaves that way for a reason.  And that some blogger has no interest in knowing why.  I'm sure his results had to do with the fact that he is running OO on a Windows machine.

AbiWord on Windows is at least as fast as Word.

Quote from: worker201
Microsoft, of course, has all the inside scoops on memory management, object/process sharing between Windows and Word, and all the other goodies that no one can duplicate without being in serious copyright violation.  OpenOffice kinda has to guess at all that stuff, because it is not available to developers, especially developers of a competing product.  If OO had the same Windows performance as MSO, you'd see a lawsuit.

Windows has memory management? ;)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #17 on: 29 November 2005, 08:33 »
Okay, I tried it.

It's still crap.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #18 on: 30 November 2005, 00:05 »
I have mixed veiws on OpenOffice.

It does use more RAM than MS Office but it isn't as bloated - you can't say and 86MB download is bigger than the MS Office CD. If uses more memory because it packs the spreadsheet, drawing and word processor into one big fat soffice.bin file. This is a bad design choice in my oppinion but it might be faster then MS Office under certain circumstances like if you loaded all the OO programs and MS Office programs - I bet you OpenOffice would them use less. As far as features go OO is equal to MS Office in my oppinion which is what I'm mostly judging this on and of course value for money which OO also wins on.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #19 on: 30 November 2005, 07:25 »
I have a badarse fucking computer, I dont care if it uses 500mb of ram and 100gbs of hard drive space.

It still lacks a zillion features MS Office has, the spelling/grammar check isn't near as good (let alone appear to be even turned on in OOo 2.0). Along with that I find it very difficult to do things like change the spellcheck dictionary because its designed by morons interface wise.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #20 on: 30 November 2005, 11:00 »
Quote from: Kintaro
I have a badarse fucking computer, I dont care if it uses 500mb of ram and 100gbs of hard drive space.

It still lacks a zillion features MS Office has, the spelling/grammar check isn't near as good (let alone appear to be even turned on in OOo 2.0). Along with that I find it very difficult to do things like change the spellcheck dictionary because its designed by morons interface wise.

I've only tried the RC2 version, and I figured the spellingschecker was only bad in the beta version.

The spellingschecker in MS Office is lightyears ahead, you can easily switch between languages and it also checks on grammer.